Favorite Sitcoms Or Dramedies

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
I've been reading on how to break into writing for TV. One thing you must do is write spec scripts for EXISTING shows.

They should be good shows, but not so well established that they have already read a million and a half scripts for it.

My favorites sitcoms.

Seinfeld
Curb your enthusiasm
Will and Grace
Simpsons

The relatively new format of the dramedy (as popularized by hbo)
include shows Like fx's "Nip/Tuck" (an amazing show)

And usa's "Rescue Me" with Dennis leary.

Let me know what you guys like. I need a brainstorm session on this one. Cuz I'm just spinning my wheels on my own!

rtwngAvngr said:
I've been reading on how to break into writing for TV. One thing you must do is write spec scripts for EXISTING shows.

They should be good shows, but not so well established that they have already read a million and a half scripts for it.

My favorites sitcoms.

Seinfeld
Curb your enthusiasm
Will and Grace
Simpsons

The relatively new format of the dramedy (as popularized by hbo)
include shows Like fx's "Nip/Tuck" (an amazing show)

And usa's "Rescue Me" with Dennis leary.

Let me know what you guys like. I need a brainstorm session on this one. Cuz I'm just spinning my wheels on my own!

Good episodes of both last night.
I'd add Deadwood. Family Guy. South Park. I think Deadwood should be considered a dramedy, because it is brutal and filled with all manner of poor taste but rich in hillarious characters.

nycflasher said:
Good episodes of both last night.
I'd add Deadwood. Family Guy. South Park. I think Deadwood should be considered a dramedy, because it is brutal and filled with all manner of poor taste but rich in hillarious characters.

Yeah. Deadwood kicks ass. The dialogue even of the scummy uneducated characters is strangely formal with high level vocab words. Did people use to be way smarter?

rtwngAvngr said:
Yeah. Deadwood kicks ass. The dialogue even of the scummy uneducated characters is strangely formal with high level vocab words. Did people use to be way smarter?

I think you nailed the show's brillance right on the head.
I think my favorite characters are the main brothel owner and his goofy right hand man(of Newhart fame), as well as the guy from the movie Go(creepy Extacy dealer.)

And to answer your question, I think yes and no. One thing is for sure, as there was no TV people used to read more. Those who could, anyway.

nycflasher said:
I think you nailed the show's brillance right on the head.
I think my favorite characters are the main brothel owner and his goofy right hand man(of Newhart fame), as well as the guy from the movie Go(creepy Extacy dealer.)

And to answer your question, I think yes and no. One thing is for sure, as there was no TV people used to read more. Those who could, anyway.

Yes. The scummy brothel owner even has a shred of decency. WHile he forces one of his prostitutes to fellate him as he rants, he still advises her that it's ok if she doesn't swallow it, and pauses in his rant for her to spit it out! Awesome!

as well as the guy from the movie Go(creepy Extacy dealer.)

Timothy Olyphant. I have never seen him in a bad role, even when he's in movies that aren't all that good, he's the scene-stealer.

In the dramedy department, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Six Feet Under. It's my favorite show on TV, and it has made me laugh and cry numerous times in the same episode. Another good one that leaned more on comedy than drama, but had its moments, was Freaks and Geeks.

As far as sitcoms, my favorites:

Arrested Development (I was almost certain Fox would cancel this, but since it got some Emmys, I bet it'll stick around for a little while longer)
Seinfeld
Simpsons (the old simpsons, the past two or three seasons have been total crap)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
South Park (is this a sitcom?)
Everybody Loves Raymond (hilarious, very underrated show)

As far as a spec script, I dunno. Do you have an agent, because that makes it a LOT easier to get your foot in the door (from what I've heard). I agree that it's probably a lot better to try for a show that's just getting started. Not only will the more popular ones have many,many spec scripts coming in, but most shows also usually use a set group of writers (IE, Trey Parker writes pretty much every episode of South Park; Seinfeld, Larry David, and another Larry whose name escapes me wrote a lot of episodes of Seinfeld).

Good luck with it, though, man, I hear it's a pretty well-paying gig. Whenever I talk about this, I'm reminded of Jerry and George talking about writing the pilot for NBC.

George: We'll write it up.
Jerry: We? You're a writer now?
George: What write? We're talking about a sitcom!

Yes. I like pretty much all the The hbo original serieses. Entourage is good too. No agent yet. Need to actually write something first! Thanks for the encouragement man!

There hasn't been a good sitcom since the likes of...

Hogan's Heros
I Dream of Genie
F Troop
Peticoat Junction
Giligan's Island

Pale Rider said:
There hasn't been a good sitcom since the likes of...

Hogan's Heros
I Dream of Genie
F Troop
Peticoat Junction
Giligan's Island

Look everyone, pale just emerged from his bomb shelter, after all these years!
:banana:

Wings
Seinfeld
Simpsons
King of Queens
Everyone Loves Raymond
Odd Couple
Hogans Heroes
South Park
Reno 911

The recently departed but sorely missed:

Fresh Prince of Bellair

The recently departed and soon to return:

Family Guy (a show that was too funny for television)

The legendary:

Saved by the Bell

The singular:

Full House

The addicting:

South Park

Also, writing for T.V. is by far the hardest script-writing medium. Saturated market, plus established writers 'foray' into this genre on a whim =P

nakedemperor said:

Fresh Prince of Bellair

The legendary:

Saved by the Bell

The singular:

Full House

The addicting:

South Park

Also, writing for T.V. is by far the hardest script-writing medium. Saturated market, plus established writers 'foray' into this genre on a whim =P

You reminded me about South Park! :rock:

nakedemperor said:

Fresh Prince of Bellair

The legendary:

Saved by the Bell

The singular:

Full House

The addicting:

South Park

I need a saturated market. Dominating a saturated market is the only thing that will satify my immense ego! Hee Hee!

Only one other thing: Saved by the bell? :happy2:

Don't you dare laugh at Saved by the Bell! I modelled my whole life around that show!

Honestly, I know it's bad, but I can't help but love it. I grew up watching it, and sadly, I still watch it on a daily basis (12:00-1:00 on TBS, and I try to catch some of the 7:00-8:00 AM episodes when I can). My friends and I were discussing this the other night: I bet it would make most of my high school teachers sick to know how little I remember of Chemistry or Algebra, but I can sure as hell remember all the lyrics to Screech's classic "Home at My School". If only I lived in some parallel universe where pop culture knowledge was considered great. I would totally rule the world.

Bayside is the school that's cool and you know that it's true
The girls are the cutest and the guys are the hippest too

:dunno:

Dan said:
Don't you dare laugh at Saved by the Bell! I modelled my whole life around that show!

Honestly, I know it's bad, but I can't help but love it. I grew up watching it, and sadly, I still watch it on a daily basis (12:00-1:00 on TBS, and I try to catch some of the 7:00-8:00 AM episodes when I can). My friends and I were discussing this the other night: I bet it would make most of my high school teachers sick to know how little I remember of Chemistry or Algebra, but I can sure as hell remember all the lyrics to Screech's classic "Home at My School". If only I lived in some parallel universe where pop culture knowledge was considered great. I would totally rule the world.

Bayside is the school that's cool and you know that it's true
The girls are the cutest and the guys are the hippest too

:dunno:

So Dan are you telling us you modeled your life after Screech??? :funnyface J/K

And, in RE to nakedemperor, I am rediscovering Fresh Prince on Nick at Nite and it is a much better show than I remember. Although, it is funny to see how bad of an actor Will Smith is in those first few episodes, you can actually see him mouthing other people's lines when they speak.

And it's kind of depressing to see that shows that I grew up watching are now on Nick at Nite. Makes me feel like an old man.

I gotta say, though, I never got into Family Guy. The plots were usually ripped more or less straight from the Simpsons, and most of the jokes fell flat for me. For every joke that made me laugh, there was probably ten minutes' worth that didn't. I never got into the whole "random pop culture references as jokes" thing that they do a lot. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I just never got into it.

Right now, I think my favorite shows on TV are probably Chappelle's Show, South Park, and Arrested Development. I'm a fan of Adult Swim, especially Sealab 2021, The Brak Show, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, but I don't really consider them really well-rounded shows (I.E., they don't really tell a story or have good character development or anything. Then again, neither does Chappelle's Show).

Dan said:
And, in RE to nakedemperor, I am rediscovering Fresh Prince on Nick at Nite and it is a much better show than I remember. Although, it is funny to see how bad of an actor Will Smith is in those first few episodes, you can actually see him mouthing other people's lines when they speak.

And it's kind of depressing to see that shows that I grew up watching are now on Nick at Nite. Makes me feel like an old man.

I gotta say, though, I never got into Family Guy. The plots were usually ripped more or less straight from the Simpsons, and most of the jokes fell flat for me. For every joke that made me laugh, there was probably ten minutes' worth that didn't. I never got into the whole "random pop culture references as jokes" thing that they do a lot. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I just never got into it.

Right now, I think my favorite shows on TV are probably Chappelle's Show, South Park, and Arrested Development. I'm a fan of Adult Swim, especially Sealab 2021, The Brak Show, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, but I don't really consider them really well-rounded shows (I.E., they don't really tell a story or have good character development or anything. Then again, neither does Chappelle's Show).

I too am lukewarm about the family guy, though I realize it's highly lauded. I agree on Chappelle's SHow, though's he's obviously a demo, South Park, and Arrested Development.

'Deadwood' is a great one. I like Swearingen's new assassin, Silas, who showed up within the last few episodes. I also like the big guy behind the bar, he kinda reminds me of me.

As far as popular shows, I must admit I generally watch the History Channel, but good shows I've seen that no one has mentioned yet are 'Scrubs', I like the crime show with Vincent D'Onfrio whichever of the thousands of those shows that one is, Enterprise, Farscape, Lexx, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sea Lab 2021, I saw an episode of 'The Office', dry british humour, but it had it's moments...

My roommate's got me watching CSI now. I kind of like it, but the main guy (the one with the glasses) gets on my nerves. This is the CSI in Vegas, I believe. The one with Marg Helgenberger. Anyway, I really can't watch more than one episode in a row, though, because they all basically follow the same format, which kinda irritates me. I don't know how they get away with showing some of the stuff they do, though, my mom loves the show but refuses to watch horror movies because they're too gory, even though there's usually more gore on CSI than in most horror movies.

And, no, Bonnie, I always pictured myself as more like Zach than Screech! :bat:

Forum List

Back