Favorite RPG? & why?

th

everything else is a video game, nothing online is roll play

I can't take your elitist attitude seriously when you don't even know that it's role play.

homie, that's a play on words

we 'roll'ed dice

sorry, you will not be invited into the Knighthood of the Diner table

Nice try, but it's a pretty lame attempt to CYA. Any true RPG geek would call you out on such obvious verbiage abuse.

Funny thing is, RPG geeks are a weird thing to be a wannabe for.

Mine is the Mass Effect series. I can't stand JRPG's either. Too much sexualization of characters that appear to be minors. But the Mass Effect series feels like an amazing SciFy adventure and the gunplay just feels visceral for a video game. Good lookin game too.

Anyhow what series or game do you like? Wasteland? Fallout? Or the dreaded JRPG lol?

Mass Effect is a great series. Even though it blatantly ripped off it's plot from Babylon Five, it did such a great job with story telling that I soon didn't care that the story was derivative.

I find the Witcher series to be of equal quality.

From a purely game standpoint, The Elder Scrolls is the top of the heap. Oblivion and Skyrim define the high water mark.

Mine is the Mass Effect series. I can't stand JRPG's either. Too much sexualization of characters that appear to be minors. But the Mass Effect series feels like an amazing SciFy adventure and the gunplay just feels visceral for a video game. Good lookin game too.

Anyhow what series or game do you like? Wasteland? Fallout? Or the dreaded JRPG lol?

Mass Effect is a great series. Even though it blatantly ripped off it's plot from Babylon Five, it did such a great job with story telling that I soon didn't care that the story was derivative.

From a purely game standpoint, The Elder Scrolls is the top of the heap. Oblivion and Skyrim define the high water mark.

You see?

There are things we can agree on.

Skyrim, and the whole Elder Scrolls series.

Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and the whole Fallout series.

Or we could just simply say "Bethesda games".

Would you include Rage and the New Wolfenstein?

Not as RPGs, no.

I wasn't impressed with Rage, but I've heard good things about the new Wolfenstein - those are id software games really, anyway.

Haven't played Wasteland since doing so on my Apple 2e, a...bit ago. :) That's like Wizardry and Bard's Tale oldschool (both of which I played back in the day, when the world was young and new.) :)

Not as RPGs, no.

I wasn't impressed with Rage, but I've heard good things about the new Wolfenstein - those are id software games really, anyway.

Nah, they are Bethesda using the ID engine. Since they use character development, they have some RPG elements.

I had hear so many bad things about Rage, that when I finally picked it up for $5, I was actually pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a great game, but it wasn't bad. Reading the forums, it looked like most of the early complaints were technical issues. (On the PC) These were all patched by the time I got it. I don't recall any crashes from it. I realize that it was a disaster on the XBox 360, the hardware had no chance of running it - but I have no sympathy, ID engines don't belong on consoles.

Wolfenstein the New Order is a masterpiece - it gets everything right. I don't care one bit that it has no multiplayer.

Dark Souls 2 has exceeded my Mass Effect love. Sadly I had a character with 300 hours into him & my account got wipped from some stupid bug. Now I have to start over

Earthbound.

To put it simply, it's a work of art. It transcends the basic purpose of a video game, which is to entertain. The game is extremely innovative, beautiful, idiosyncratic, emotional, and it's funny. I've found myself being impacted by the game long after I finished it just like I would if I finished a brilliant piece of literature. I would be more specific, but I fear I would end up writing a book about my love of it. So, I'm tried to keep it short/vague.

Of course, I love others such as: Chrono Trigger, Panzer Dragoon Saga (another masterpiece), Marrowind, Oblivion, Pokemon Crystal, and Final Fantasy VI.

I'm a tremendous fan of RPGs. They're easily my favorite video game genre.:)

FF II (US title... originally FF IV in Japan, I believe), Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 7 (X was okay, too... bought it for my Vita), Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim

Hell, I even enjoyed playing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, even though it was a little juvenile.

I'm pretty much done with Final Fantasy titles now that Enix bought out Squaresoft. They've ruined the brand.

FFT and FF VI were a few of my favorite games EVER. I cannot verbalize how pissed I have been at the last few iterations and how they are destroying one of the most epic gae series ever created. I actually liked 13 though. Then they had to crap all over my game dollars with Lightning Returns. What garbage.

For games, I sometimes play Guildwars 2. When I think of RPG, I think of story telling and writing characters in a live interactive environment.

I actually like Skyrim but find that I viscerally hate Bethsada. To be quite frank, they release buggy garbage that never is complete or works. I cant play Skyrim without at least 2 dozen mods installed on it from the community. I think we would almost be better off if Betsada simply got rid of all their people and hired the mod community.

They design such beautiful and complete worlds that it absolutely hurts when they cant develop game play that is worthy of Pac Man. Morrowind was a complete mess.

Also, their idea of 'difficulty' is add more hit points and have the player deal less damage. I REALLY yearn for a developer that makes those worlds but understands what a real challenge is rather than taking the asinine lazy way out of it. A better AI and a diversified set of challenges. Just talking about this makes me even angrier at Bethsada.

I like Mass Effect a ton as well. That was one of the tops. I am surprised no one mentioned Deus EX though - that was a fantastic game and definitely one of my tops.

Earthbound.

To put it simply, it's a work of art. It transcends the basic purpose of a video game, which is to entertain. The game is extremely innovative, beautiful, idiosyncratic, emotional, and it's funny. I've found myself being impacted by the game long after I finished it just like I would if I finished a brilliant piece of literature. I would be more specific, but I fear I would end up writing a book about my love of it. So, I'm tried to keep it short/vague.

Of course, I love others such as: Chrono Trigger, Panzer Dragoon Saga (another masterpiece), Marrowind, Oblivion, Pokemon Crystal, and Final Fantasy VI.

I'm a tremendous fan of RPGs. They're easily my favorite video game genre.:)
I have to say, "The Last of Us" looks pretty amazing...

The Last of Us? Remastered Game | PS4? - PlayStation®

I'm playing Far Cry 3, there's a little RPG in there.

God, that game was TERRIBLE. That was one of the worst games I have ever played. Are you in a console? That version might not be so bad but the PC ver. was so buggy that it was nigh impossible to play. The damn rootkit that comes with the game broke my computer and took me MANY hours fixing it as well biasing my outlook on the game. I received the game for FREE and was still pissed.

I'm playing Far Cry 3, there's a little RPG in there.

God, that game was TERRIBLE. That was one of the worst games I have ever played. Are you in a console? That version might not be so bad but the PC ver. was so buggy that it was nigh impossible to play. The damn rootkit that comes with the game broke my computer and took me MANY hours fixing it as well biasing my outlook on the game. I received the game for FREE and was still pissed.

On the 360 it wasn't bad. Didn't notice any bugs, and it was a whole lot better than Far Cry 2.

Forum List

Back