Favorite radio stations as a kid

• Banned
Yvonne Daniels, the Queen of Rock and Roll.

yvonnedaniels.jpg

WGH in Norfolk, Va. Could pick up that station real well in Suffolk, Va. It played all the latest rock and roll. Listened to it throughout the 60's.

Late 60's early 70's I listened to Top 40 93 KHJ in L.A. then in my teen years I switched to 94.7 KMET (Tweedle Dee!). The "Mighty MET" is still the standard I measure all other Rock stations against. None have even come close, especially that poser station KLOS.

Anyone else in L.A. ever read Jim Ladds book "Radio Waves"? It's a must read for all FM radio lovers.
Radio Waves, Jim Ladd, (9780312077860) Paperback - Barnes & Noble

Last edited:
The Greaseman on DC101 WWDC.
The Greaseman epitomizes everything that is wrong with radio. From his FM Puker voice to his infantile, stupid jokes that are ALWAYS about jacking off. The Greaseman came to L.A. in 93 or 94 and was on KLOS for about 3 months until he was forced off the air by outraged fans.

I can't believe anyone ever listened to him.

Did you live though the Steve and Garry/Larry Lujack rebellion?

I was in the John Landecker era.

All of them, though barely remember Landecker. Bob Sirott though was big at the time I do remember. I never listened to Steve and Garry, they were a bit raunchy for my tastes, though guys seemed to really like them.

In Tulsa OK, it was KAKC, and KELLI.

In Los Angeles California it was KHJ.

In the Cleveland/Akron area it was WMMS (The Home of the Buzzard) and WWWM.

It Columbus, it was QFM96 (which is still around)

That's all I can remember. There were others, because we moved a lot.

In high school I remember an FM station that played the extra loooooooooong version of Inna godda davida. That was impressive. Also heard Close to the Edge and other such songs.

Revere said:
CWLK, Detroit. WLS or WCFL, Chicago. WLUP, Chicago. WOKY, Milwaukee.
I LOVED Wls!!!

They used to come in AT NIGHT and i loved the music they played!!!!!! -- Sadly when they went to ALL TALK it sucked pond water!!

I also liked AM 970 in my area and I have a record they gave out FREE in the early 80s i got a few months ago and it has several nice 70s songs they played in the 70s on 970!! (Its no more :()

I grew up listening to KOMA out of Oklahoma City on a small transistor radio in my bedroom. The latest hits from the Beatles, Byrds, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Cream, basically all the good stuff in the late 60's n early 70's

Now I listen to 100.7 WZLX out of Boston.

They play the exact same music I listened to as a teenager; but now it's called Classic Rock. . :cool:

Forum List

Back