Favorite President

Which would make their opinion an, *ahem*, opinion...am I right?

Too funny. This reminds me of an idiot that claimed some sports figure was THE BEST because a poll of ESPN viewers said so.

I wouldn't pick Carter as the best, but he certainly beats Dubya by several million miles. IMNSHO.

Yes, you are.

I was merely correcting the record where someone suggested that the opinion regarding best and worst POTUS was that of US News and World Report.

It wasn't.

The poll reports the outcome of a poll of that mags readers.

Yes, you are.

I was merely correcting the record where someone suggested that the opinion regarding best and worst POTUS was that of US News and World Report.

It wasn't.

:lol:

Carter, clearly - but the country wasn't up to his standard and he was betrayed into playing cowboys. Pity about that.

Carter?!?!?! Seriously? I've never met anyone who thought Carter was a good president, much less the best. He had problems being decisive... took so long to ponder any decision that nothing got corrected. Had no control over the economy or world affairs. Allowed his hand to be outplayed by Reagan who wasn't even president when he cut the deal with Iran to let the hostages go.

Gas rationing... etc...

um... what did he do that was good?

Best presidents? Lincoln and Franklin Roosevelt. Best in *my* lifetime.. Bill Clinton, although if he hadn't been a lying megalomaniac, Nixon might have gone down as the best ever.

Carter replaced a foul-mouthed criminal and was replaced by a senile actor, but while in power he had (unlike most American presidents) some knowledge of the World, and the ability to think honestly about it. Like most sensible people, he thought before he acted (cf President Bush). To most of the unbullied world he seemed a wonderful breath of fresh air, but we soon moved back to halitosis, alas. Get a Health Service and make sure it includes dentistry!

I'm sorry, did you say something? Are you feeling a bit hostile today? Take a walk, ride a bicycle...you'll feel better.

I don't think I ever said Carter wasn't smart. In fact, I believe he was. He was just ineffectual. A knowledge of the world doesn't NECESSARILY translate into being a good president. It's clearly one requirement of the job (something that's been sorely lacking for the past 7 1/5 years) but it's not the only requirement. Carter was, and is pretty much uniformly recognized as being, a terrible president. Until recently, he was a much better ex-president than he ever was while in the position.

As for the senile actor, I don't think I said he was a good president, did I?

I'm sorry, did you say something? Are you feeling a bit hostile today? Take a walk, ride a bicycle...you'll feel better.

I don't think I ever said Carter wasn't smart. In fact, I believe he was. He was just ineffectual. A knowledge of the world doesn't NECESSARILY translate into being a good president. It's clearly one requirement of the job (something that's been sorely lacking for the past 7 1/5 years) but it's not the only requirement. Carter was, and is pretty much uniformly recognized as being, a terrible president. Until recently, he was a much better ex-president than he ever was while in the position.

As for the senile actor, I don't think I said he was a good president, did I?

No, fair play. I just remember hearing Carter talk - honestly and sensibly - and compare it still with how the others talk - oh God!

No, fair play. I just remember hearing Carter talk - honestly and sensibly - and compare it still with how the others talk - oh God!

Which, again, has nothing to do with being a good president. We can bemoan that fact or deal with it. But he was a terrible and ineffectual president, albeit a good ex-president, until recently.

He at least had the right idea about conservation.

He did, but again, ineffectual in getting anything done. And Nixon was ahead of him. He started the EPA and was a conserationist before it was even part of the national discussion. It's one of the reasons I always said Nixon was too far to the left to even be nominated by the dems today.

He did, but again, ineffectual in getting anything done. And Nixon was ahead of him. He started the EPA and was a conserationist before it was even part of the national discussion. It's one of the reasons I always said Nixon was too far to the left to even be nominated by the dems today.

True.

In fact NiXXon was the last reasonably effective POTUS we had who actually fits the neo-cons' definition of a liberal.

Ironic, isn't it?

Which, again, has nothing to do with being a good president. We can bemoan that fact or deal with it. But he was a terrible and ineffectual president, albeit a good ex-president, until recently.

It is King Log and King Stork, I suppose. Most countries seem to like an ignorant thug in charge, particularly if he bullies other people. For the rest of the world Carter was a blessed relief from the usual, that's all.

It is King Log and King Stork, I suppose. Most countries seem to like an ignorant thug in charge, particularly if he bullies other people. For the rest of the world Carter was a blessed relief from the usual, that's all.

You know, I understand that someone new to a board might read a post and not know the politics of the person he/she is posting to. But I can assure you that I think we should have a smart president. I've been complaining about the idiot in chief for the past 71/2 years. But that doesn't mean that we accept someone who can't get anything done.

And, frankly, I do think it important that we work with the rest of the world, but I don't think that requires we abdicate our national interest for the privilege.

It's all well and good to want someone smart in office. It simply doesn't do us any good to have that person be unable to accomplish anything.

Just out of curiousity, were you alive in the '70's? Because I remember my dad waiting on lines for gas while Carter was president..... I just don't remember if it was on odd or even days. I also remember the countdowns every night on the news saying how many days the hostages had been held. And, if I recall correctly, it was Carter who let the Shah of Iran into the U.S. for medical treatment which is what made the Irani's crazy in the first place.

A few words on the hostage crisis:

In America, the crisis is thought by some political analysts to be the primary reason for U.S. President Jimmy Carter's defeat in the November 1980 presidential election.[4] In Iran, the crisis is thought to have strengthened the prestige of the Ayatollah Khomeini and consolidated the political hold of radical anti-American forces who supported the hostage taking. The crisis also marked the beginning of American legal action, or sanctions, that economically separated Iran from America. Sanctions blocked all property within U.S. jurisdiction owned by the Central Bank and Government of Iran.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

So, so much for Carter doing well on the international stage.

Last edited:
I was alive and driving across the country for the first gas crises in 1974 under NIXXON.

Neither NiXXon nor Carter were responsible for either of those unhappy affairs.

But your point about letting the former Shah in the nation is sound enough.

It was a boneheaded thing to do.

dearest dipshit, I know.

if you bothered to read before you lisp you'd see I linked to and posted where he was andw hat he was and what it was about.

now STFU and pay attention, otay?

Pardon me....I didn't realize that was a link...considering the first big chunk of your post involved someone elses quote and post. I didn't bother to read the other (appearingly quoted) post. I responded to your response. And either way, you're the only dipshit that seems to think that Theodore Roosevelt wasn't a good president based on his own personal view of things. I didn't see him lynch anyone. He accomplished great things in his pesidency whether you like it or not. Everyone has skeletons in their closet...unless of course you'd rather elect a non-human candidate. STFU? South Texas Female University? IS that where you went?

I was alive and driving across the country for the first gas crises in 1974 under NIXXON.

Neither NiXXon nor Carter were responsible for either of those unhappy affairs.

But your point about letting the former Shah in the nation is sound enough.

It was a boneheaded thing to do.

I wasn't aware there was an earlier gas crisis. :redface:

It really was a boneheaded thing to do. Such an unnecessarily inflammatory thing.

'This is a political debate message board. You are entitled to your opinion and to post it'

Astounding! Thank you, my lord. How amazingly gracious of you!

'Feel free to wear whatever glasses you choose to, but to quote an old addage: "don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining." The facts do not support you; and, in true denialist fashion, rather than attempt to refute the facts presented you have to question the source, and build yourself some strawmen to attack.'

What facts don't support what? I suggested that Carter had been your best President, for reasons I gave. You judge by other criteria, as does this Newsreport thing you quote - by which, doubtless, if available, Adolf Hitler would have won - but he wasn't a citizen, of course. Pity about that! I have led my life mercifully untroubled by the yobbish adage you quote, but I willingly promise not to urinate on your back, ever. Not the done thing, that.

'The source is US News and World Report, a rather respected one, and it happened to be the first one on the list, so my choice of source was arbitrary. If you have a problem with that source, feel free to contact the editor of the publication.'

Nice use of the passive voice. Doesn't alter my point, however. Does God edit this publication? Or are you perhaps He?

'Otherwise, feel free to war whatever glasses you so desire and hold whatever opinions you wish, and I will continue to not give a shit ... matey.'

I hardly supposed you would, matey. We did well to get shot of America, on this evidence. That is not the way to discuss at all, you know It is rant.

So ... your point here is that you do not know how to use the quote function properly? Or what?

The only rant I see is yours. I backed up my statement with evidence. You have backed yours with sarcasm, an ability to tapdance around the topic, and an inability to use the quote function properly; which, the latter resulted in the use of far more effort to read your post than anything in it was worth.

So ... your point here is that you do not know how to use the quote function properly? Or what?

The only rant I see is yours. I backed up my statement with evidence. You have backed yours with sarcasm, an ability to tapdance around the topic, and an inability to use the quote function properly; which, the latter resulted in the use of far more effort to read your post than anything in it was worth.

That would be correct.

'This is a political debate message board. You are entitled to your opinion and to post it'

Astounding! Thank you, my lord. How amazingly gracious of you!

'Feel free to wear whatever glasses you choose to, but to quote an old addage: "don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining." The facts do not support you; and, in true denialist fashion, rather than attempt to refute the facts presented you have to question the source, and build yourself some strawmen to attack.'

What facts don't support what? I suggested that Carter had been your best President, for reasons I gave. You judge by other criteria, as does this Newsreport thing you quote - by which, doubtless, if available, Adolf Hitler would have won - but he wasn't a citizen, of course. Pity about that! I have led my life mercifully untroubled by the yobbish adage you quote, but I willingly promise not to urinate on your back, ever. Not the done thing, that.

'The source is US News and World Report, a rather respected one, and it happened to be the first one on the list, so my choice of source was arbitrary. If you have a problem with that source, feel free to contact the editor of the publication.'

Nice use of the passive voice. Doesn't alter my point, however. Does God edit this publication? Or are you perhaps He?

'Otherwise, feel free to war whatever glasses you so desire and hold whatever opinions you wish, and I will continue to not give a shit ... matey.'

I hardly supposed you would, matey. We did well to get shot of America, on this evidence. That is not the way to discuss at all, you know It is rant.

:blahblah:

The participants are the READERS of US News and World Report.

Sinking the Maine was the cause celebre that was used to justify the USA invading Cuba.

American corporate interests wanted an independent Cuba because the government of Spain was threatening to end their right to own so much of the land and business down there.

Yes, you are.

It wasn't.

I suggested nothing of the sort. My statement from page 2, this thread:

Feel free to wear whatever glasses you choose to, but to quote an old addage: "don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining." The facts do not support you; and, in true denialist fashion, rather than attempt to refute the facts presented you have to question the source, and build yourself some strawmen to attack.

The source is US News and World Report, a rather respected one, and it happened to be the first one on the list, so my choice of source was arbitrary. If you have a problem with that source, feel free to contact the editor of the publication.

US News and World Report is in fact the source of information I linked to. That would be the provider of the information for the purpose of this discussion. Other than the last sentence in the above quote, I did not address what source US News and World Report used, nor where the information itself originated.

Forum List

Back