Favorite President

Oh, I don't know about that. This might come close...

Teddy Roosevelt took a pistol shot to the chest, (admittedly it was only a flesh wound as the bullet was slowed by the manuscipt he was holding)and then, undaunted, Teddy went on to give a two hour speech.

They're not making Preidents like that anymore.

Exactly...wildlife conservation, anit-monopoly, outdoorsman, Panama Canal "Speak softly but carry a big stick." etc...I'd have to say he's my favorite....

Teddy Roosevelt.

The Panama Canal, food inspections, trust busting, the Big Stick, the National Parks, etc....

He did what he thought was best for America, not his party. When have we had a president like that?

Who was the greatest President of all times.

Kirk, my man. Hope all is peace in the valley with you.

Favorite president? Just one? Teddy Roosevelt. Walk the walk and talk the talk - softly, but carrying a big stick? He was the man.

He was of the notion that if you have to go kick ass somewhere, have a big ol' saber and let everybody else catch up to you on horseback.

He also used to have wrestling and boxing matches in office. Little known trivia? Not only survived an assassination attempt in 1912, but insisted on giving a speech before going to the hospital. Holy jumping sh*tballs.

A decent guy, a stand up guy, and his own shadow was scared of him. And despite all this, what little kid to this day does not have a "teddy bear"?

King Ass Kicka, and proud American. He's my selection.

Then again, FDR's New Deal did straighten us out to a large extent.

But for favorites, Ted is the Man.

Teddy Roosevelt.

The Panama Canal, food inspections, trust busting, the Big Stick, the National Parks, etc....

He did what he thought was best for America, not his party. When have we had a president like that?

Teddy--twin of 'W'

As Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Roosevelt prepared for and advocated war with Spain in 1898. He organized and helped command the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment — the Rough Riders — during the Spanish-American War. Returning to New York as a war hero, he was elected governor.
war hero? of an unnecessary war based on lies?

lol

expansionist moves...an early march of freedom
The Spanish-American War was a military conflict between Spain and the United States that began in April 1898. Hostilities halted in August of that year, and the Treaty of Paris was signed in December.

The war began after the American demand for Spain's peacefully resolving the Cuban fight for independence was rejected, though strong expansionist sentiment in the United States may have motivated the government to target Spain's remaining overseas territories: Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Guam and the Caroline Islands.[2]
Riots in Havana by pro-Spanish "Voluntarios" gave the United States a reason to send in the warship USS Maine to indicate high national interest. Tension among the American people was raised because of the explosion of the USS Maine, and "yellow journalism" that accused Spain of extensive atrocities, agitating American public opinion. The war ended after decisive naval victories for the United States in the Philippines and Cuba.
Only 109 days after the outbreak of war, the Treaty of Paris, which ended the conflict, gave the United States ownership of the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam.
kirk, so how long before "W" becomes a great President in history?
:lol:

Kirk, my man. Hope all is peace in the valley with you.

Favorite president? Just one? Teddy Roosevelt. Walk the walk and talk the talk - softly, but carrying a big stick? He was the man.

He was of the notion that if you have to go kick ass somewhere, have a big ol' saber and let everybody else catch up to you on horseback.

He also used to have wrestling and boxing matches in office. Little known trivia? Not only survived an assassination attempt in 1912, but insisted on giving a speech before going to the hospital. Holy jumping sh*tballs.

A decent guy, a stand up guy, and his own shadow was scared of him. And despite all this, what little kid to this day does not have a "teddy bear"?

King Ass Kicka, and proud American. He's my selection.

Then again, FDR's New Deal did straighten us out to a large extent.

But for favorites, Ted is the Man.
you sound like you're watching a movie.
:eek:
Views on race
In The Winning of the West (1889–1896), Roosevelt's frontier thesis stressed a racial struggle between "civilization" (white, especially Germanic peoples) and supposed savagery (of people of color).

Excerpts:
"The settler and pioneer have at bottom had justice on their side; this great continent could not have been kept as nothing but a game preserve for squalid savages."

"The most ultimately righteous of all wars is a war with savages."

"American and Indian, Boer and Zulu, Cossack and Tartar, New Zealander and Maori, — in each case the victor, horrible though many of his deeds are, has laid deep the foundations for the future greatness of a mighty people."

"..it is of incalculable importance that America, Australia, and Siberia should pass out of the hands of their red, black, and yellow aboriginal owners, and become the heritage of the dominant world races."

"The world would have halted had it not been for the Teutonic conquests in alien lands; but the victories of Moslem over Christian have always proved a curse in the end. Nothing but sheer evil has come from the victories of Turk and Tartar."

------

In Brownsville, Texas, racial tensions were high between white townsfolk and black infantrymen stationed at Fort Brown. Two white townspeople were murdered and the townsfolk blamed the infantrymen.

Roosevelt immediately dishonorably discharged all soldiers in the three all black companies (that fought alongside Roosevelt in the Spanish American War) due to their "conspiracy of silence."

Further investigations in the 1970s found they were not involved and they were pardoned by President Nixon.
ted, sounds more like a effete, moronic dilettante.

which Teddy, is the real rough rider?
Some notable events in Theodore Roosevelt's life include:

Inviting African American reformer Booker T. Washington to a dinner at the White House, an action which caused outrage among many newspapers in the South, which objected to "mixing of the races on social occasions."

Appointed the Collector of the Port of Charleston post to an African-American, Dr. William D. Crum, and when he was urged to withdraw the appointment, wrote the following:

I do not intend to appoint any unfit man to office. So far as I legitimately can, I shall always endeavor to pay regard to the wishes and feelings of the people of each locality; but I cannot consent to take the position that the doorway of hope - the door of opportunity - is to be shut upon any man, no matter how worthy, purely upon the grounds of race or color. Such an attitude would, according to my contentions, be fundamentally wrong.

Defended the Postmaster of Indianola, Mississippi, Minnie D. Cox. She was an African-American, and on that basis alone she was threatened with mob violence and was forced to resign. Roosevelt took action by closing the post office there, ignoring her resignation, and still paying her what she was due as if nothing had happened.[24]

In my own opinion, and I know some of you out there are going to slap you heads and say "WHAT?!"
Ronald Reagan. I am not going to go into why I chose him or qualify it.

you sound like you're watching a movie.
:eek:
ted, sounds more like a effete, moronic dilettante.

which Teddy, is the real rough rider?

Wait, you forgot something. A point. You can't present an argument and then summarily diffuse it.

Ted would have mauled you like an angry Kodiak bear for talking smack about him.

More importantly, you owe me a beer. Santarpio's?

i.e. He saw the world as it is, respected other people and was a Christian rather than 'religious-for-business-reasons'. A sorry fellow indeed! The best President you've had so far, however.

He is the worst and will remain firmly entrenched there for the foreseeable future. Depression, spike in gas, Iran hostage crisis, and the Moscow boycott. Yep, those were great times.

You know, IMO, I think Theodore Roosevelt ranks up there with some of the top ones. I've always liked him.

Right on, I liked the speak softly and carry a big stick idea. More of our leaders should do that instead of looking for the polling data.

Teddy--twin of 'W'

lol

The Spanish American War was not based on lies. It was based on an incident -- the sinking of the USS Maine -- incorrectly assessed as sabotage. They did not know for a fact it was a boiler explosion until the past decade or so. That's with today's ability to investigate. Imagine using the technology of 1898 which probably comprised of standing on the dock and looking down at the water.

"Unnecessary" is also determined by your applying today's standard, and ignoring the strategc importance of a foreign power having an advance base within 90 miles of the US.

The Spanish American War was not based on lies. It was based on an incident -- the sinking of the USS Maine -- incorrectly assessed as sabotage. They did not know for a fact it was a boiler explosion until the past decade or so. That's with today's ability to investigate. Imagine using the technology of 1898 which probably comprised of standing on the dock and looking down at the water.

"Unnecessary" is also determined by your applying today's standard, and ignoring the strategc importance of a foreign power having an advance base within 90 miles of the US.

LOL...exactly. We didn't exactly have streaming live media or covert intelligence expertise at this time....(that we see today anyway.) All they knew was that a ship (unordinarily) blew up at a Spanish port...

Teddy--twin of 'W'

lol

I hate to break it to you. Teddy wasn't the president during the Battle of San Jaun Hill. Why should the war make any difference? Are you going to discredit hundreds of thousands of Vietnam vets and their sacrifice because you don't agree with it? Are you going to discredit hundreds of thousands of U.S. Soldiers now that are being sent to fight in the middle-east just because you don't agree with the war's motives? Newsflash, the soldiers don't pick the time or the place.... Roosevelt did some great things during his presidency that set the stage for many things. If a president today were shot during a speech, they'd fall over and cry...then be drug off the stage by secret service before anyone knew what happened. Roosevelt pulled himself back up to the podium and finished his speech...this definately must have caused the shooter not to fire a second shot...

LOL...exactly. We didn't exactly have streaming live media or covert intelligence expertise at this time....(that we see today anyway.) All they knew was that a ship (unordinarily) blew up at a Spanish port...

Well, sort of. I was being a smartass with my comment. The Navy actually had divers that salvaged what they could.

Spain was at war with Cuban guerillas, and Americans chose a side. Simple as that. The media of the day pretty-much controlled what people believed. Oh, kind of like it does with the sheeple now. It's not far-fetched to imagine a jaded media pimping the great struggle for Cuban freedom against a European monarchy.

I doubt anyone purposefully lied though; which, is the accusation I commented on. People saw what they wanted to see, and based their beliefs on it.

The Spanish American War was based on an assumption of guilt. That can be incorrect without being a lie.

Wait, you forgot something. A point. You can't present an argument and then summarily diffuse it.

Ted would have mauled you like an angry Kodiak bear for talking smack about him.

More importantly, you owe me a beer. Santarpio's?

yes.

week day or week end? night or afternoon?

and Teddy would've boxed my ears, but I would still have laughed at his squeaky high pitched girly-like voice.

I'm not arguing with strategic interests. All I'm saying is we were looking for an excuse to go to war with SPain...and the Maine was IT.

I heard about that before any deep sea excavation/exploration. We all did.

It was a bogus war. Good for us but like the Iraq rebuilding...an excuse to do more than the stated goal...fight Spain.,

I hate to break it to you. Teddy wasn't the president during the Battle of San Jaun Hill. Why should the war make any difference? Are you going to discredit hundreds of thousands of Vietnam vets and their sacrifice because you don't agree with it? Are you going to discredit hundreds of thousands of U.S. Soldiers now that are being sent to fight in the middle-east just because you don't agree with the war's motives? Newsflash, the soldiers don't pick the time or the place.... Roosevelt did some great things during his presidency that set the stage for many things. If a president today were shot during a speech, they'd fall over and cry...then be drug off the stage by secret service before anyone knew what happened. Roosevelt pulled himself back up to the podium and finished his speech...this definately must have caused the shooter not to fire a second shot...
dearest dipshit, I know.

if you bothered to read before you lisp you'd see I linked to and posted where he was andw hat he was and what it was about.

now STFU and pay attention, otay?

Attachments

• $otay1mx.jpg
    $otay1mx.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
'This is a political debate message board. You are entitled to your opinion and to post it'

Astounding! Thank you, my lord. How amazingly gracious of you!

'Feel free to wear whatever glasses you choose to, but to quote an old addage: "don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining." The facts do not support you; and, in true denialist fashion, rather than attempt to refute the facts presented you have to question the source, and build yourself some strawmen to attack.'

What facts don't support what? I suggested that Carter had been your best President, for reasons I gave. You judge by other criteria, as does this Newsreport thing you quote - by which, doubtless, if available, Adolf Hitler would have won - but he wasn't a citizen, of course. Pity about that! I have led my life mercifully untroubled by the yobbish adage you quote, but I willingly promise not to urinate on your back, ever. Not the done thing, that.

'The source is US News and World Report, a rather respected one, and it happened to be the first one on the list, so my choice of source was arbitrary. If you have a problem with that source, feel free to contact the editor of the publication.'

Nice use of the passive voice. Doesn't alter my point, however. Does God edit this publication? Or are you perhaps He?

'Otherwise, feel free to war whatever glasses you so desire and hold whatever opinions you wish, and I will continue to not give a shit ... matey.'

I hardly supposed you would, matey. We did well to get shot of America, on this evidence. That is not the way to discuss at all, you know It is rant.

The participants are the READERS of US News and World Report.

Sinking the Maine was the cause celebre that was used to justify the USA invading Cuba.

American corporate interests wanted an independent Cuba because the government of Spain was threatening to end their right to own so much of the land and business down there.

The participants are the READERS of US News and World Report.

Which would make their opinion an, *ahem*, opinion...am I right?

Too funny. This reminds me of an idiot that claimed some sports figure was THE BEST because a poll of ESPN viewers said so.

I wouldn't pick Carter as the best, but he certainly beats Dubya by several million miles. IMNSHO.

Forum List

Back