Favorite Painting

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Bonsoir, this thread will be about the historic of a painting you need to give the name of the painter and the title of the painting and the year if possible

Thank You.

800px-Petrus_Christus_-_Portrait_of_a_Young_Woman_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Petrus Christus
Portrait of a Young Girl, circa 1470

Mine's already in my avatar. It's called "O Fado" (the Fado, a traditional Portuguese music that has been a strong melodic basis for Lusophonic music in general most notably Brazilian) and was painted by José Vital Branco Malhoa in 1910.

(José Malhoa = "zho-ZEH MAHL-oo-ah")

fado.jpg

elizabeth-countess-of-warwick-17.jpg

Elizabeth Countess of Warwick 1787 by Sir Joshua Reynolds 1723-1792 The Frick Collection 1906

Bonsoir, this thread will be about the historic of a painting you need to give the name of the painter and the title of the painting and the year if possible

Thank You.

800px-Petrus_Christus_-_Portrait_of_a_Young_Woman_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Petrus Christus
Portrait of a Young Girl, circa 1470

Ah, salut à mes amis dans la France. Autrefois j'habité la-bas comme Vendengeur (et puis, au-pair garçon). Je connais Lyon un petit peu. :)

I like Holbeins 'The Ambassadors' (1533) (year Elizabeth I was born) because of it's rather clever anamorphic skull in the foreground bottom centre. You have to look at the canvas acutely side on to see it is actually a human skull.

IMG_1747.JPG

The anamorphic skull viewed from the side of the canvas.

IMG_1743.JPG

Also the still life items are magnificent, and I love the lute with the broken string. My better half has several lutes and he plays early music on them.

IMG_1745.PNG

The scientific instruments are also wonderful to behold - here the polyhedral sundial:

IMG_1749.JPG

Also, in the top left of the painting, at the edge of the curtain is a tiny figure of Christ:

IMG_1748.JPG

The painting if full of religious, alchemical and political symbolism, although ostensibly it is simply about two wealthy French dignitaries at Henry VIIIs court. There is a rather good reinterpretation of the painting by John North - The Ambassador's Secret: Holbein and the World of the Renaissance Paperback – December 9, 2004.
The Ambassadors can be seen at The National Gallery in London.
What a lovely thread, btw Dalia :beer:

raphael_1.jpg

Raphael (1483–1520), Portrait of a Lady with a Unicorn, ca. 1505–1506. Oil on canvas, transferred from panel, 26 5/8 x 20 15/16 in. (67.7 x 53.2 cm). Galleria Borghese, Rome, inv 371

Wheatfield-with-Cypresses Print.jpg

Wheat Field with Cypresses, Van Gogh, 1889

Forum List

Back