• Sue Grafton

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Lawrence Block

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Ed McBain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 12, 2008
I used to like Agatha Christie a lot, but I have move more and more toward Elmore Leonard and Donald Westlake.

Who do you like and why?

Sue Grafton. I've never been able to really get into Agatha Christie; my sister loves her. And I'm not familiar with the others, though I might be if I saw their work; but Sue Grafton I like and have read. Not all of them, but a few.

Erle Stanley Gardner btw.

After reading, "The Case of the Velvet Claws" I was a fan. And he was like a fine wine.

I believe that Raymond Burr ruined the interpretation of Perry Mason, turning him into an intellectual wimp.

I used to like Agatha Christie a lot, but I have move more and more toward Elmore Leonard and Donald Westlake.

Who do you like and why?

Block and Chandler are classic.....Chandler has a way of getting you into the characters...

if I make a few honorable mentions imho- Kellerman (J), Hunter and of course John D. Mcdonald...the travis mcgee novels?..shit, ....of course I am drawing a blank right now too...:lol:

Last edited:
John D. McDonald

Anything else is second rate.

He wrote the book that became the Cape Fear movies.

Travis McGee was the shit. Ya'll can meet me on the Busted Flush at slip F-18, Bahia Mar, Fort Lauderdale for some Boodles over ice while we put on some cool jazz and watch the party over on the Alabama Tiger. Maybe Meyer will come over for a round of chess.

How come Dan Brown was not on the list? :( He's also a good mystery writer though.

Elmore Leonard for me, his characters are among the best developed around. He writes a mean western as well.

sue grafton if I am in to an easy read, fun and entertaining...Kinsey Millhone is the character....

Patricia Cornwall is an excellent writer, I would recommend her Who done it? books to anyone, any day of the week...very suspenseful, keeps you on your toes....harder read...character, Kay Scarpetta....

James Patterson who done it? series are beyond really good, twisted as twisted could be books....Kiss the Girls....my first one....I could not put the book down....I was one chapter from finishing and still did not know who done it? It was 2am and my contacts were so dry and glued to my eyes, I couldn't read anymore and just had to get to the end of the book, so I woke up the Hubby and had him read out loud the last chapter for me....EXCELLENT WRITER! alex Cross is the character...

Robert B Parker is the only one I have read regularly (I like the Jesse Stone series). Others I will pick up and read if they sound interesting ...don't really have a favorite author. A friend and I used to listen to books on CD and went through a lot of the JD Robb "In Death" books that way. They were pretty good (and diff from others I have read)...kind of futuristic.

Another fun series is the Hanna Swensen mysteries by Joanne Fluke. Gingerbread cookie murder...Blueberry muffin murder etc...they are pretty clever and usually come with a recipe to try....gotta love that. :tongue:

PD James
Elizabeth George
John Harvey
Jeffrey Deaver
Minette Walters
Greg Iles
Ian Rankin
Patricia Highsmith
Steig Larsson
Val McDermid

Last edited:

Forum List