Favorite Knife?

I carry a little vintage Case pocket knife with carbon steel blades. I really like the beauty and functionality of damascus scabbard knives and I have a couple.

I have a yellow handled Case 4 inch [large] trapper with the CV [carbon] blades . Case is a very nice knife and the yellow is traditional and the blade steel is their first blade steel from 100 years ago before they added the stainless steel . I like the carbon because it will acquire a patina and sharpens very nicely .

I have a yellow handled Case 4 inch [large] trapper with the CV [carbon] blades . Case is a very nice knife and the yellow is traditional and the blade steel is their first blade steel from 100 years ago before they added the stainless steel . I like the carbon because it will acquire a patina and sharpens very nicely .

Stainless pocket knives are for the lazy who can't take the time to actually sharpen a knife. Some are so cheap that they actually bend under moderate use. There are still lots and lots of carbon bladed pocket knives around and like you said they sharpen nicely. I like the bone handled pocket knives for their looks and durability. Since nobody uses a pocket watch anymore the watch pockets of dungarees have a use with a little pocket knife which is always where you can find it if you need it. I heard that switchblade spring operated knives are legal to carry if you have a fishing license but I'm not sure.

Stainless pocket knives are for the lazy who can't take the time to actually sharpen a knife. Some are so cheap that they actually bend under moderate use. There are still lots and lots of carbon bladed pocket knives around and like you said they sharpen nicely. I like the bone handled pocket knives for their looks and durability. Since nobody uses a pocket watch anymore the watch pockets of dungarees have a use with a little pocket knife which is always where you can find it if you need it. I heard that switchblade spring operated knives are legal to carry if you have a fishing license but I'm not sure.

Last couple pair of jeans did not have a watch pocket...I was extremely disappointed.

Now I pay attention. No watch pocket, no sale.

spring assist knives are legal I think but a normal stud opening knife works well enough for me and then i'm good even if traveling [I think] . Same for the traditional opening knife but I understand the argument that a one hand opening knife might be needed in an emergency . I have 2 little USA made OLD TIMER knives / with Copenhagen shields . I left one in the watch pocket , washed it a few times and it developed a patina [rust] . Looks good now though after cleanup .

I washed my little bone handled Case knife more than once in a washer and it seemed to come out cleaner than it went in with no damage. It might be a good idea to throw an old knife in with the wash to clean it up. I wouldn't put in the drier though.

yeah , thing is that I forgot it and then eventually said to myself , did you lose it ?? So I went searching and found it . Yeah , it went through the drier !!

I like damascus forged stuff but I bought a Browning folder with what they call "damascus etch" by mistake but it's a fine if heavy pocket knife with a belt clip and a one handed opening setup.

I'm partial to CRKT brand, myself. They're sturdy, and pretty rarely need sharpening.

M16-13SF_xlarge_258.jpg

I like Damascus , not practical for me though as i'd be afraid to use it . As regards CRKT , I like them plus good value .

Look out! Zombie thread!

Ever since miketx (*) posted a thread on the Schrade Sharpfinger I've had a hankering to get one. Finally scratched that itch, ordered one on Amazon with an orange handle to try out for squirrel season now that I seem to have misplaced my Canadian Belt Knife.

Screenshot_2018-06-02-21-15-30.png

Link Schrade SCHOTP178CP Sharpfinger Tactical Knife, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RRZXFT/?tag=ff0d01-20

Have to laugh at the descriptive "Tactical knife"...:rofl:...marketing at work. $12.99...hard to go wrong there.

(*I believe, correct me if I'm wrong...the thread disappeared with the social groups section :102:. Since I couldn't find the old thread...I resurrected this one)

Last edited:
Still got mine and havn't cut a gd thing with it!

favorite for what? daily carry? dressing a deer? The job determines which is the right tool. I am in and out of a place that decries carrying a knife, of any size, so I can't have it be showing a spring clip. Most of the lockblades, , when you carry them in a pocket, the thumbstuds wear holes in your pockets. So I favor the Spiderco, with the hole in the blade.

My favorite knife is my Kershaw. I've had it for over 15 years and still going strong.

Favorite knife when camping? The classic Buck.

favorite for what? daily carry? dressing a deer? The job determines which is the right tool. I am in and out of a place that decries carrying a knife, of any size, so I can't have it be showing a spring clip. Most of the lockblades, , when you carry them in a pocket, the thumbstuds wear holes in your pockets. So I favor the Spiderco, with the hole in the blade.
I have several Gerbers with holes in the blade. One finger goes through the hole and the blade rotates around your finger when opening. They are really hard to drop or have taken out of your hand. I slicked them up until they almost fall open.

They are similar to this one, except the big round piece isn't there. It is a big hole. They evidently don't make mine now.

Ripstop-I-Serrated.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this (one just like it) knife for my Dad when he retired after working on the Railroad for 44 year... Year was 1983... He carried it and used it everyday that I know of until Nov. 2005 when he passed... I had carried a folding Buck 501 Squire for quite sometime up until that day... A good friend was with me as I was taking care of the arrangements for my Dad and I handed him my Buck and I put the Old Timer in my pocket... It has been there ever since with the exception of about 12 hours in a suitcase when I came to Hawaii... Some asshole TSA agent would have tried to take it away from me and I would have went to jail... Means more to me than some real expensive knives I have seen... My Dad bought me my first Knife and It means a whole shit load to me that I bought him his last knife...

Old Timer® Senior Pocket Knife

Forum List

Back