Favorite Knife?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I know knives are not "firearms", but this seemed like the appropriate part of the forum to discuss them.

I don't always carry a firearm, but I always carry a knife. Ever since I left the military, I feel naked without one.

To me, knives are tools, not weapons.

I have tried out a wide variety of knives, some expensive, some cheap, and I have finally narrowed my preference down to two knives that I absolutely love and carry with me at all times.

The first is the Leatherman Squirt S4. Not to be confused with the Leatherman Squirt P4. The S4 has scissors, the P4 has pliers.

I have a need for scissors far more often than a need for pliers.

The Squirt is an actual pocketknife. One you can carry in your pocket. A lot of "pocket knives" are too big to carry in your pocket.

The Squirt has a couple of screwdriver heads, a bottle opener, a nail file which no one ever uses, a blade, and scissors. The scissors are not the useless tiny ones you find on a swiss army knife. The Squirt's scissors are powerful enough to slice open those hard plastic casings they put around every consumer electronic product these days that make you want to hunt down the inventor and gut him.

I use the screwdrivers and scissors constantly, so this tool stays with me at all times.

The blade on the Squirt is not that useful, and so for cutting purposes I carry a Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. It is an automatic (a.k.a. "switchblade"). The model I have is the SW3000 where the action is not immediately obvious. You have to compress one of the black friction pads in just the right spot. It is considered a double-action knife because of the little knobby thing on the blade you can also use to open it.

307rjie.jpg

Of all the knives I have had, this is the one I love the most. It has a 440C blade and is not too heavy or bulky. It has had excellent sharpness retention.

Sadly, Leatherman no longer makes the S4, so I have stockpiled a bunch of them before they stopped making them. I have also accumulated some off of E-bay. I have given a lot of them away to family and friends and they love them.

It looks like the S.W.A.T. automatic is also getting harder and harder to come by. I picked up mine at a gun show a few years ago, and picked up another one at a gun show last year for a family member.

A really weird thing is that it is getting even harder to find knife sheaths. I have been to umpteen gun shops and none of them carry knife sheaths for your belt any more! WTF?!?

Last edited:
My go to knife is the Leatherman Sidekick. I like it because I can open the blades without having to open the entire tool. I also like the fact that the pliers are spring loaded. I honestly never met a situation where I needed a pair of scissors so much that I couldn't use a good knife blade to do the same thing.

9-sidekick.jpg

I also own a simple Buck knife because, in California, cops tend to confiscate knives with any type of assisted opening function, even a simple thumb lever. The knife laws here are even worse than the gun laws, but I know them well enough to keep the cops off my back.

Yeah, if you live in a state with restrictive laws, that really puts a crimp in what kind of knife you can carry. That seriously sucks.

I used to carry a much bigger Leatherman multi-tool on my hip when I was on active duty. But now my civilian job just doesn't really bring up a need for one. There have not been a lot of situations come up which require a pair of pliers.

The knife I carry at work is a Buck Knife. Simple folding knife that does the job.

56089_ts.jpg

My favorite is a Katz Tanto. Bought it from a friend of mine that makes knives.

bk-1006-1000x1000-500x500.jpg

https://www.katzknives.com/shop/black-kat-series-hunting/black-kat-1006-tanto-kraton/

I'm not the type that feels naked without one. I like guns and knives, but they're nice to have, but I don't shoot anymore, and I don't buy throwing knives.

Maybe I should start doing it again. Chances are, if we have a few more years of Obama I may need to kill for my food again.

Last edited:
My constant carry knife is a Benchmade Osborne Axis Lock.

5526379122_65af1cd9ab_z.jpg

Around town its usually a little BUCK 303 in the front pocket and then a little old made in USA Schrade with a tiny 2 inch blade that's a COPENHAGEN Snuff commemorative in the back pocket . Also like my yellow handled CASE trapper . I have more modern one hand knives [Applegate Fairbairn combat folder] but my tastes are running to the more traditional jack type knife . I'd like to get a TIDEBOUTE LUMBERJACK because its beautiful but probably impractical . Also carry a big Leatherman multitool at times as well as a BUCK lockback [110 I think] when in the woods .

Everyday, Leatherman Wave and Buck Paklite Skinner.

IMAG0688_zps6ec868b0.jpg

In the woods, a Buck 119 replaces the Skinner.

If the Wave ever wears out, I'd replace it with the titanium Charge TTI for weight, but I've had it for three years and it's still like brand new, so not much chance of that anytime soon.

Last edited:
I was at a gun show today and found a suitable replacement for the Squirt S4. The Gerber Splice.

ymlgl.jpg

Several titanium Gerbers grace my collection. My favorite has yellow handles and a serrated edge...when opened, sounds like a fine revolver being cocked.

IMAG0688_zps6ec868b0.jpg

If the Wave ever wears out, I'd replace it with the titanium Charge TTI for weight, but I've had it for three years and it's still like brand new, so not much chance of that anytime soon.

I use the heck out of Leatherman Waves. I have worn out, broken & lost 4 of them. My current one is made from 3 broken & worn ones I scrapped.

IMAG0688_zps6ec868b0.jpg

I use the heck out of Leatherman Waves. I have worn out, broken & lost 4 of them. My current one is made from 3 broken & worn ones I scrapped.

Damn...you must really put them through the ringer.

I'm pretty hard on this one, pushing it far beyond it's tolerance...and it always gets the job done.

I have a bayonet on my bedroom door and a throwing knife in a drawer next to my front door.

The Bayonet is my fav..

plus here --- TOPS Knives.com --- nice survival type knife . Course all these knives just collect dust if you buy them . I like and remember when a simple quality jack knife and a quality fixed blade was all that was needed .

Forum List

Back