onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
04.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/iraqchildren/4.html

I like that one too! Hey, when you going to start your own blog? :teeth:

Kathianne said:
I like that one too! Hey, when you going to start your own blog? :teeth:
I have thought of it, but I really do not have enough time as it is. It's 3:30am and I am already up for the day. But I am depressed. My $2800 Toshiba laptop failed last night. The screen is completely dead. The PC is only about 1.5 years old. I have no idea how much replacement screens are, but I bet they are a lot. Right now I have the Toshiba connected to a 5 year old crt. It's like looking through the wrong end of a telescope. I better get my files off this thing before it totally checks out.

onedomino said:
I have thought of it, but I really do not have enough time as it is. It's 3:30am and I am already up for the day. But I am depressed. My $2800 Toshiba laptop failed last night. The screen is completely dead. The PC is only about 1.5 years old. I have no idea how much replacement screens are, but I bet they are a lot. Right now I have the Toshiba connected to a 5 year old crt. It's like looking through the wrong end of a telescope. I better get my files off this thing before it totally checks out.

Sorry about the laptop. I do know how you feel, looking for new pc myself. As for the blogging, start slow and learn to live without sleep! Your fiance will love that! :teeth:

Kathianne said:
Sorry about the laptop. I do know how you feel, looking for new pc myself. As for the blogging, start slow and learn to live without sleep! Your fiance will love that! :teeth:
Thanks. The need to spend $800 for the part, or whatever it is, on an 18 month old pc, is certainly bad performance by Toshiba. I suggest looking elsewhere for your new unit. I will think further about blogging. My finacee sleeps at least twice as much as I do.

onedomino said:

Oh man, I can relate, computer problems are a massive headache. Have you checked to see if your laptop is still under manufactuar warranty? I'd imagine two years as a minimum for a high end laptop such as yours.

onedomino said:
Thanks. The need to spend $800 for the part, or whatever it is, on an 18 month old pc, is certainly bad performance by Toshiba. I suggest looking elsewhere for your new unit. I will think further about blogging. My finacee sleeps at least twice as much as I do.

I'll probably go with Dell again. Considering there's been 4 of us on this one, have to say it was pretty good.

FYI, I talked to Toshiba. Gave them the serial number and they told me the pc was five months out of warranty and that there "was nothing they could do." Further, they said that I would have to pay the full price for a new display, plus labor. This expensive pc is only 17 months old. I told Toshiba that that had lost a customer forever. They could not have cared less. Just a little fish in a huge sea of suckers.

My brothers and I have used mostly Macs for the last 18 years . We have never had a problem with any of them (at least 20 desktop and powerbooks between us ) . My niece had to get a PC for a class , the teacher insisied , it (an HP) had constant problems . I understand that everyone has a preference , I'm just telling you guys what our experience has been . I know that I will never buy anything else , I love the operating system and the quality of the machines , the innovation is just icing on the cake . I'm waiting for a G-5 powerbook to upgrade to , I'm sure it will come out soon .If I was forced to switch I would probably go with a Sony .

I use both Mac and Windows at home and find them almost interchangeable. I have about the same amount of issues with either.

I build my own Windows machines and I build well, and I have rarely if ever had an issue.

I particularly like the new OS X, it made it even easier to integrate into my network. The Unix underlay is spectacular. I give it very high marks. I also like that I can now use a two button mouse with a roller or pretty much whichever mouse I crave to use and it will do what I expect it to.

I also like the Windows XP operating system which also made it easy to network all of my machines. I can now get on any of my machines and make them talk to the rest of the network rather than relying on the ease of Macintosh to do that. Either way they are easy to use.

I can see why your niece had issues, HP is one of the worst. They build their computers so that you must use their stuff and it is not the best quality. Attempting to upgrade leads to hazards better left to another thread, but suffice it to say you don't want to go in there without a map and some guides. She was doomed at the start. If you are going to buy a brand name I would suggest Dell, they do build good machines that are easy to upgrade and if you buy new stuff they will even let you add it without voiding a warranty no need to call somebody like me to charge you an arm and a leg to make an easy change.

no1tovote4 said:
I use both Mac and Windows at home and find them almost interchangeable. I have about the same amount of issues with either.

I build my own Windows machines and I build well, and I have rarely if ever had an issue.

I particularly like the new OS X, it made it even easier to integrate into my network. The Unix underlay is spectacular. I give it very high marks. I also like that I can now use a two button mouse with a roller or pretty much whichever mouse I crave to use and it will do what I expect it to.

I also like the Windows XP operating system which also made it easy to network all of my machines. I can now get on any of my machines and make them talk to the rest of the network rather than relying on the ease of Macintosh to do that. Either way they are easy to use.

I can see why your niece had issues, HP is one of the worst. They build their computers so that you must use their stuff and it is not the best quality. Attempting to upgrade leads to hazards better left to another thread, but suffice it to say you don't want to go in there without a map and some guides. She was doomed at the start. If you are going to buy a brand name I would suggest Dell, they do build good machines that are easy to upgrade and if you buy new stuff they will even let you add it without voiding a warranty no need to call somebody like me to charge you an arm and a leg to make an easy change.

I do see Dells everywhere , they must be reliable .
I can understand your interest in building your own equipment , I like to do everything myself whenever possible , I change the shafts and grips on my golf clubs to create the set that I want rather than what the manufacturerwants to sell me. It amazes me to see the parts for building your own computer that are available in a place like Frys . Homebuilts have come a long way from the Heath kits .

Forum List

Back