Favorite Founding Father/American Revolutionary Quotes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Agit8r, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    Just wonder what some of y'all's fave quotes from the people that helped found the U.S.

i'll start:

"That religion, or the duty which we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience; and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other."

-- James Madison; Amendment to the Bill of Rights of Virginia (1776)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    "I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable, but the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind"

-- Thomas Jeffrson; letter to James Madison (October 28, 178)

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +111
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon,
    but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker​

4. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    "I have always believed that the best security for property, be it much or little, is to remove from every part of the community, as far as can possibly be done, every cause of complaint, and every motive to violence"

-- Thomas Paine; from Dissertations on First Principles of Government (1795)

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    "Fuck 'em and feed 'em hot dogs!" - General George Washington, Valley Forge, Pa on December 7, 1777

6. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    "if my Countrymen should ever wish for the Honour of having among them a Gentry enormously wealthy, let them sell their Farms and pay rack'd Rents; the Scale of the Landlords will rise as that of the Tenants is depress'd who will soon become poor, tattered, dirty, and abject in Spirit. Had I never been in the American Colonies, but was to form my Judgment of Civil Society by what I have lately seen (in Ireland and Scotland), I should never advise a Nation of Savages to admit of Civilisation: For I assure you, that in the Possession and Enjoyment of the various Comforts of Life, compar'd to these People every Indian is a Gentleman: And the Effect of this kind of Civil Society seems only to be, the depressing Multitudes below the Savage State that a few may be rais'd above it"

-- Benjamin Franklin; letter to Joshua Babcock (Jan. 13. 1772)

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Give me liberty, or give me death

8. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    ~ Ben Franklin addressing the constitutional convention Monday, September 17, 1787

9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,904
    "King George can suck my fucking cock!" -- Sam Adams after overindulging in taste testing his first every Oktoberfest beer.

10. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    "Being myself a warm zealot for the attainment & enjoiment by all mankind of as much liberty, as each may exercise without injury to the equal liberty of his fellow citizens, I have lamented that in France the endeavours to obtain this should have been attended with the effusion of so much blood. I was intimate with the leading characters of the year 1789. So I was with those of the Brissotine party who succeeded them: & have always been persuaded that their views were upright"

-- Thomas Jefferson; letter to Jean Nicolas Demeunier (Apr. 29, 1795)