Favorite "easy" dishes/meals

bill5

Jul 26, 2011
What are your fav meals which are extremely easy to make? PS for the serious cooks, when I say easy, what you might find easy we microwaves-are-our-God people might not. :) I mean like a few ingrediants, very little to do in the way of spices, very few steps, little if any chopping required etc. I don't however mean just nuking "processed" foods or eating out. :)

eg:

I forget what it's called but shrimp sauteed in olive oil, garlic and (flat) parsley. I typically don't chop up a garlic clove but used "minced" that you can buy in a jar and works fine. You're supposed to also have scallions in it and it is better, but I don't always and again it's fine. Just throw it all in and takes minutes (I don't use exact measurements either). Quick and easy.

Pork chops - just grill after sprinkling Mccormicks' Montreal Chicken spice blend (which works well on a lot of things).

I also find that nuking vegetables works really well on frozen vegetables; much like steaming.

So apparently you're either all gourmet chefs or just eat out all the time. OK.

Bacon-Corn Chowder With Shrimp

I just tried this the other night, excellent:

* 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
* 1 cup prechopped onion
* 1/2 cup prechopped celery
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
* 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
* 3/4 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
* 1/3 cup half-and-half
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation

* 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan; saute 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown. Remove 2 slices bacon. Drain on paper towels. Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through minced garlic) to pan, and saute for 2 minutes. Add corn, and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to a boil, and cook for 4 minutes.
* 2. Place 2 cups of corn mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in the blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed corn mixture to pan. Stir in shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in half-and-half, pepper, and salt. Crumble reserved bacon over soup.

Bacon-Corn Chowder with Shrimp Recipe < Quick, 20-Minute Soup Recipes - Cooking Light

Bruschetta

I made some a couple weeks back and it was delicious! I started with some sliced Ciabatta bread with garlic. I sliced that the day before and let it sit out to air because the bread was soft. Vine ripe tomato ( unfortunately not from my garden by vine ripe just the same ) vidalia onion and fresh basil from the garden ... lot's of it! Then I added some sea salt and some cracked pepper. All mixed that morning. I grabbed a tray and layed the slices of bread out and brushed them with olive oil. Then I loaded each slice up with a heaping pile of the tomato mix. On top of that I sprinkled ... heavily .... italian shredded cheese. The pieces of bruschetta were then placed on a grate above hot coals and browned until the cheese on top melted down over them.

Mmmmmmmm ... I wish I had a piece in front of me right now.

Cheesy goodness!

french rolls
cheddar cheese
mayo

optional

green onions
tomato paste
sliced tomatoes
seasonings

heat oven to 350
split the rolls.
mix cheese with just enough mayo ( small amount of mayo) to moisten it.
Bake until golden

options..
spread tomato paste on roll
add chopped onions and seasonings to cheese mix
Top with sliced tomatoes

it sounds horrifying...but its good and hits the spot at times.

Cheese and mayo? Not sure I'm that bold. :) At least that fits the "easy" category though. More than 3, 4 ingrediants and you're exiting easy territory IMO.

Cheese and mayo? Not sure I'm that bold. :) At least that fits the "easy" category though. More than 3, 4 ingrediants and you're exiting easy territory IMO.

I know..it sounded horrible with it was first made for me..... but it was pretty damn tasty. The trick is not to put to much mayo so that it is a sloppy mess. Just a bit to make it moist.

Sauerkraut and Weenies:

Heat sauerkraut in frying pan
Add chopped weenies and heat till done.

Lets eat!

I'm a vegetarian but I cook meat for my sweetie.

The other night I sauteed some green peppers (out of our garden) and onions, mixed in with some homemade salsa. Then I added chopped up sausage (the big kind that people grill and such) to it. I added some garlic and pepper.

He loved it! He didn't even have to 'add' anything to it! I haven't cooked meat in years, so I just experiment with stuff while cooking, adding this, that and the other.

Any other fast and easy things like this would be good to learn.

And Syreen and Mask, your recipes sound DELISH for Mini EZ and I, we would love them both!

From My mother in law who is no longer with us.

Meat potatoes and cheese

Ground burger crumbled and cooked

skinned and chopped baked potatoes.

Shredded Chedder cheese.

You cook the meat and spice it as you wish,

I put in garlic powder, salt, pepper

I also chop an onion and saute' it and will sometimes use crumbled bacon.

You then mix in the chopped potatoes.

Then you mix in the cheese.

It is big time comfort food and is basically a deconstructed burger and fries.

The late Mrs. Riccio's FAST authentic sauce

(A Simple and FAST authentic Spaghetti sauce in about 20 minutes)

In a large pot start your water to boil (then it's ready for your pasta as soon as the sauce is ready, too)

Put about 1/4 inch of olive oil in a 3-5 quart pot pot it on high, and add thinly sliced garlic clove as it's heating up .

While the garlic is infusing the oil open your 20-oz can of WHOLE tomatoes (I like Pastene but Hunts will do)

When the garlic slices are LIGHT brown, (do NOT let the garlic get dark brown! that makes the sauce bitter) dump in the tomatoes. (be prepared for some oil blowback. That's actually the fun part of this task, but I move the pot to the sink when I do it)

Use that whole tomato can to measure in the water you now add to the sauce and return it to high heat.

While that mix coming to boil,

slice those whole tomatoes in the pot. (do NOT crush them, SLICE them in the pot as it is coming to a boil. I don't know why but crushing the tomatoes, rather than slicing them changes the taste of the sauce)

While that is happening,

Open up the small can (I like about 8 oz, but use more if you like thicker sauce) of tomato paste

Add the tomato paste and stir it well to insure that it emulsifies into the now boiling tomato sauce.

Add one (tomato paste) plus a can of water (the can the paste came in this time) to the mix. (or two cans or whatever if you used more paste for a thicker sauce)

Let it all go back up to a rapid boil for a few minutes (until it is obvious that those sliced whole tomatoes are soft enough to eat)

Once that's done (usally a minute or two at rapid boil) bring it it down to very low simmer. (you're just keeping it warm now...the sauce is finished)

Throw the pasta into your now boiling water and cook to taste (that's generally about 7 minutes if you're using vermachelli)

An authentic (thin, sometimes called marinara (meaning sailor's) spaghetti sauce in about 20 minutes.

This sauce is a good basic simple tomato sauce that I use for a lot of other dishes (My chili for example).

It keeps for a week or two in the frig.

INCIDENTLY, if you use fresh tomatoes, the sauce will be much sweeter.

I prefer canned whole tomatoes.

No NOt do NOT do NOT used crushed tomatoes in this recipe.

Again, don't understand why, but the taste is vastly inferior to whole CANNED tomatoes.

9fecbd98-6b22-41f3-9fad-2b4492b15322.gif

I'm a vegetarian but I cook meat for my sweetie.

The other night I sauteed some green peppers (out of our garden) and onions, mixed in with some homemade salsa. Then I added chopped up sausage (the big kind that people grill and such) to it. I added some garlic and pepper.

He loved it! He didn't even have to 'add' anything to it! I haven't cooked meat in years, so I just experiment with stuff while cooking, adding this, that and the other.

Any other fast and easy things like this would be good to learn.

And Syreen and Mask, your recipes sound DELISH for Mini EZ and I, we would love them both!

Mmmmmmmm, sounds delicious. Especially with the homemade salsa! I'll be making a vegetable stir-fry tomorrow evening, with white rice on the side. No meat, unless I add some left-over chicken we're BBQing later today. I did however, just throw together another batch of bruschetta. C'mon ovah!

2Lb of boneless country style pork ribs.

1 can Coke.

Put 'em all in a slow cooker.

Cook it all day, 'till the pork ribs fall apart.

Add some BBQ sauce (Wal-Mart store brand is good stuff).

Put some on a bun with a slab o' the aforementioned 'Murrican cheez.

Scarf.

breads.jpg

Breads made this afternoon with freshly picked blueberries and raspberries from the garden ... bananas and walnuts. Not quite from scratch since mr. masq used Bisquick. Delicious just the same!

Cheesy goodness!

french rolls
cheddar cheese
mayo

optional

green onions
tomato paste
sliced tomatoes
seasonings

heat oven to 350
split the rolls.
Bake until golden

options..
Top with sliced tomatoes

Sort of similar and really tasty on hot day:

bread (I like something like an Italian or herb flavored)
basil
ripe heirloom tomato, sliced thin
mayo

Spread mayo on bread, both slices. Add sliced tomato. Add a few basil leaves. Cut and eat.

Truly delicious!

Cheesy goodness!

french rolls
cheddar cheese
mayo

optional

green onions
tomato paste
sliced tomatoes
seasonings

heat oven to 350
split the rolls.
Bake until golden

options..
Top with sliced tomatoes

Sort of similar and really tasty on hot day:

bread (I like something like an Italian or herb flavored)
basil
ripe heirloom tomato, sliced thin
mayo

Spread mayo on bread, both slices. Add sliced tomato. Add a few basil leaves. Cut and eat.

Truly delicious!

yep... the basics are the same... its all about the options.

For spicy...and a think layer of pureed Chipotle peppers or minced jalapeño in with the cheese.

Any fresh or dried herb you like

Its basically pizza bread.