Favorite concerts

Went to Ringo Starr's all star band concert last night. What a hoot.

The band included former members of Santana, Toto, Mister Mister and Todd Rungren.

Ringo is not a lead singer by any stretch of the imagination, but a complete entertainer.

Good to see the best known drummer in Rock history performing with such talented members from other historic bands.

Heart in the middle 80's
Eddie Money about the same time.
There was a big fundraising concert in San Diego for Gov. Moonbeam's potus run in 79 or 80, Chicago, Eagles, Ronstadt and some others. I remember a guy selling shirts outside...Fuck Brown I'm here for the show....I wonder what ever happened to my shirt
Sammy Kershaw During his brief fame
Mel Tillis about 1978
Ronny Milsap mebbe 1975
Doug Kershaw...1973?
Bob Hope 73 or 74

I know there were more, but above all, the afore mentioned Pink Floyd in LA during The Wall tour was the best.

LedZeppelinCoverartny-1.jpg

images

Led Zeppelin live was like how young people fuck: no opening act, 2 1/2 hours of raw unbridled lust, then 2 encores.

Rainbow at the Beacon was like being on the receiving end of a Soviet artillery barrage. I'm not sure how the Beacon Theater was still standing, also some lunatic climbed up one of the large sculptures near the front of the stage and was waving to the band

I can't believe I forgot some shows that were pretty good, all in the late 1990s: James Taylor, Elton John, and...gulp...Barry Manilow. But those tickets were freebies from my neighbor who worked at the TV station! They were great seats, though. Maybe too great - I could see the inch-thick of makeup on his face.

I also saw Al DiMeola at a fairly small venue. He's a playa!

ETA: OH! And Foreigner at Madison Square Garden (Double Vision tour) in the late 1970s. Their opening act was the truly awful Nick Gilder (Hot Child In The City), who was booed mercilessly.

ETA: Dammit! Also forgot Judas Priest, around 1983, in Little Rock, IIRC. My band's road manager used to be their road manager, and he got us all free tix, although he was the only one who got a backstage pass.

Led Zeppelin live was like how young people fuck: no opening act, 2 1/2 hours of raw unbridled lust, then 2 encores.

Rainbow at the Beacon was like being on the receiving end of a Soviet artillery barrage. I'm not sure how the Beacon Theater was still standing, also some lunatic climbed up one of the large sculptures near the front of the stage and was waving to the band
I saw Zeppelin twice. The second time, was the loudest concert I've ever been to.

Saw Sturgill Simpson last Saturday night, and he was incredible. One of the best country concerts I have ever attended. He and his band were really hot, and he was personable and funny in between songs.

The best concerts I have ever seen?

As far as sheer musicianship, The Richard Thompson Band and The Steve Winwood Band. Thompson about 7 years ago and he had Danny Thompson on bass. Winwood about 4 years ago.

Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band was the best show I have ever seen. Saw it is Dublin, and the crowd was singing along from the first song. It is available on CD and DVD.

Best show was Yes in 1972 in Berkeley. Incredible

Perhaps my favorite just for nostalgia sake would be the Who at the Cow palace in San Francisco in 1973. Keith Moon passed out and couldn't be revived, so they ended up with a volunteer drummer from the audience.

Ozzy, Jefferson Starship, Godsmack, Evanescence, Van Halen, Journey, Brooks n Dunn, Doug Supernaugh (sp?), U2......

I've been to so damn many I don't have a favorite. Up until a few years ago I went to EVERY SINGLE rock concert that was close to me every year.
Anymore I just can't deal with the kids so if it is a standing only concert I usually skip it. The only exception is Rockfest here in KC which is promoted as the biggest one day festival in the country.

Here's a neat story... Many years ago I was at a concert when someone from the furthest reaches of the arena threw a frisbee that sailed for what had to be at least 100 yards in the air before landing in a trash can at the back of the stage.

Fast forward to this Saturday night. I was at a party and overheard a biker telling the story of how he flinged a frisbee at a concert and it landed behind the drum riser on the stage. He said he was sitting in the nosebleed section and the whole crowd went ape-shit. I fucking couldn't believe it. I've been telling that story for 30 years as one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen.

We differed on our recollection of the venue, so I told him that I'd check my ticket stubs. I mean, what's the chance of that happening twice anywhere in anyone's lifetime? :dunno:

Led Zeppelin, Cincinnati 1977-the second show, it was perfect as the band had worked the bugs out the day before. 18 years later, same venue, Page and Plant

Jethro Tull, Cincinnati, twice in the mid seventies. Ian Anderson. as good as it gets
saw him 21 months ago in Cincinnati as well-still as good as he was 40 years ago, just not as much singing on one leg

Grateful Dead-New Haven, September 1977). as good or better as the famous Barton Hall show several months earlier at Cornell, sadly never heard a good tape from them

Ramones, Barton Hall, 1984, Awesome

Forum List

Back