Favorite Actors of All-Time

Shooter

Semper Fi
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
Name your 10 favorite actors/actresses of all-time.

Here's mine in no particular order.

- Robert De Niro
- Al Pacino
- John Wayne
- Clint Eastwood
- Audrey Hepburn
- Tom Hanks
- Johnny Depp
- Jack Nicholson
- Meryl Streep
- Vivien Leigh

Clint Eastwood
Robert DeNiro
Jack Nicholson
Vince Vaughn
Morgan Freeman
Meryl Streep
Al Pacino
Robert DuVall
Jimmy Stewart
Marlon Brando

Gabourey Sidibe is the lead actress in "Precious".

My idea of a great actor is: riveting to watch, great range, emotionally engaging.

I love Clint Eastwood, but he lacks range. His character is essentially the same from movie to movie: the Ideal Man.

Laurence Olivier
Agnes Moorehead
Ingrid Bergman
Meryl Streep
Walter Brennen
Judy Garland
Bette Davis
Robert De Niro
Geraldine Page
Katharine Hepburn

Ugh...Meryl Streep. That broad has phoned in the same performance in every movie she's ever done. WTF is her popularity about? Acting is more than a crappy foreign accent and that insipid dripping tear thing she does.

Ugh...Meryl Streep. That broad has phoned in the same performance in every movie she's ever done. WTF is her popularity about? Acting is more than a crappy foreign accent and that insipid dripping tear thing she does.

So, the "Devil Wears Prada" and "Death Becomes Her", both comedies, are the "same performance"?

I disagree. Like DeNiro, which their pairing in Deer Hunter is one of my all time favorites, they have proven to deliver both dramatic, as well as comedic performances.

Sorry, rdean. I know my POV is not common. I do love Bette Davis, if that helps.

I wouldn't call Bette Davis "a great actress" though, only because she lacks range. She is most definately riveting on screen....but she is not at all convincing as a victim of any sort.

As for Meryl Streep, to me she is the Wonder Bread of actresses.

I disagree. Like DeNiro, which their pairing in Deer Hunter is one of my all time favorites, they have proven to deliver both dramatic, as well as comedic performances.

I see your point, Sherry. I myself don't need them to be able to do comedy...just a range of dramatic roles.

Streep has received 16 Academy Award nominations, winning two, and 25 Golden Globe nominations, winning seven, more nominations than any other actor in the history of either award.

Same performance in every role? Not even close. She is extremely diverse. I'll list her greatest performances in a couple lines.

Streep is one of the greatest actresses of our time. Look at her amazing roles.

- Deer Hunter - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress

- Kramer vs Kramer - Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress

- Sophie's Choice - Academy Award for Best Actress

- Silkwood - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Out of Africa - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Ironweed - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- A Cry In The Dark - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Postcards From The Edge - NominatedAcademy Award for Best Actress

- The Bridges of Madison County - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- One True Thing - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Music of the Heart - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Adaptation - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress

- The Devil Wears Prada - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Mamma Mia! - Nominated—Golden Globe Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy

- Doubt - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

- Julie and Julia - Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actress

sophieschoice.jpg

Steve McQueen
Humphrey Bogart
Clark Gable
Jimmy Stewart
Audrey Hepburn
Gary Cooper
Clint Eastwood
Robert Duvall
Jodie Foster
Bruce Willis
Harrison Ford

I'll take a classic black & white over this swill that passes itself of as entertainment today, with only a few remarkable exceptions.

You got 11 'cuz I remembered one more and couldn't bear to knock anyone off :redface:.

EDIT- Damn...I still left off Elizabeth Taylor

EDIT(2)- How can I leave out The Duke???

EDIT(3)- I see Marlon Brando up there, and Gregory Peck...can't leave them off my list...and what about Charlton Heston and Vincent Price?

EDIT(4)- And George Peppard and Robert Redford and Paul Newman...crap, I give up. I can't possibly restrict my list to 10.

Last edited:
Bogart and Hepburn Their performance in the African Queen is the greatest movie ever made.

Clint Eastwood

Kate Winslet

Drew Barrymore

John Wayne

Julie Andrews

Tom Hanks

Jack Nicholson

Will Smith

Jim Carrey

Sandra Bullock

How can ya stop at ten.....?????

Sorry, rdean. I know my POV is not common. I do love Bette Davis, if that helps.

I wouldn't call Bette Davis "a great actress" though, only because she lacks range. She is most definately riveting on screen....but she is not at all convincing as a victim of any sort.

As for Meryl Streep, to me she is the Wonder Bread of actresses.

Victim?

You could say that in "Jezebel", she "victimized" herself.

In "What ever happened to Baby Jane", she was victimized by her lack of talent and jealous sister.

In "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte", she was victimized by love, a domineering father and mental illness.

She was both a victim and a phoenix in "Now Voyager".

Victimized by age in Elizabeth and Essex.

I'm not arguing either. I just think she was so spectacular.

Forum List

Back