Fav Xmas memories ... and what did you do last night?

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
I went caroling instead of baking all the indian corn meal cookies I'm baking today. Our big Christmas will be on Boxing Day this year. We keave this afternoon.

One of my fav Xmas memories was attending Xmas Eve mass in Notre Dame de Paris. It was packed way beyond any conceivable fire code. A woman wrapped in white sheets rushed the pulpit howling something about killing all the wise men and King Louis the 16th too. She was removed without the priest missing a syllable of his sermon and in spite of the bloody bite to his ear that she left him with.
Next the guy with the big incense burner swinging at the end of an iron pole tried to make his way through the crowd but somebody mistook the smoke for the burning fuse of a bomb and started shrieking about terrorists. We nearly got trampled in that mob scene as half the cathedral headed to the doors. I'm not sure what other crazy stuff went on because the police made everyone standing in the back get out. So we left and walked home laughing at taxis slide and careen in the 1/2 inch of snow that even foul mouthed French cab drivers can't manage to drive in.

Have yourselves a Merry Little Christmas USMB boys and girls!

This year I learned that my daughter's complaint of "no fair she got better/more presents than me" has a flip side, which is "no fair all our presents are the same."

I learned that parents can stew over presents for months trying to make a happy occasion, and some kids will just complain no matter what.

=Sigh=

Seems to have been a good christmas anyway, we have learned to expect complaints on christmas from one of our children. Heh, it's a tradition at this point.

My son came over. We marinated steaks and grilled them. Exchanged gifts and laughed about some crazy Christmas' we've shared together in the past. I think he was more thrilled by this little piece of steel and magnesium fire starter than he was the .22 rifle I refinished and gave him but that's him. Loves the small goofy stuff. He's buying my fishing license for me--awesome !

my daughter and i helped light the handheld candles for the congregation during christmas eve service last night. we sang silent night by candlelight in an almost 300 yr old meetinghouse. it was very cool. afterwards, we all had hot chocolate.

then i went outside and helped people get their cars up the ice coated driveway in the rain.

sounds weird, but it was fun.

and to all a good night.

We went out to see all the Christmas lights, sang with Karen Carpenter on the radio, had butternut cake and coffee, today has been leisurly, husband did most of the cooking, I only had to do the stuffing and mashed potatoes. Watched the celebration of Christmas on Fox with Rick Warren. and now I'm sitting here with my coffee and Bailey's. :eusa_angel:

Spent the night last with my brother and family. Very nice. Had a good breakfast and conversation. The kids went to their father's after, now I'm waiting for their return and we'll do dinner.

Dinner

Pizza rolls-425° 8-11 minutes
Quiches- 375° 12-14 minutes
Puff pastries- 400° 22 minutes
Meatballs
Shrimp
Salad-prepared
Rib Eye Roast-recipe 2 hours@350°
Roasted New Potatoes-add to roast after an hour
Garlic mashed potatoes-packaged
Asparagus-refrigerator
Mixed Veggies-refrigerator
Green Bean Casserole-45 minutes @350°
Jello
Rolls
Baked Apples
Cheesecake

Stayed home all day, finished a novel, watched the snow fall, walked the dog, laughed to see her running in the snow. Made love with my honey. Called people I care about. Started clearing out files and setting goals. Watched a episode of THE WIRE.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fondest Christmas memory is a really tough thing to consider, so many of them have been very special. I would venture to say all of the first Christmas' have been my most special. My first with my wife, my first with each child and my first with each grand child, thus far.

Last night was pretty normal around here. My wife and I spend Christmas Eve wrapping presents, cooking and/or baking, listening to Christmas music, getting in each others way at times and sharing some memories and laughs. Last night was no different. More times than not it goes on until the very early hours of Christmas morning or simply all night. Last night was all night.

Evening my family sits on our couches around the tree and opens presents, we are all laughing together and being nice. It's impossible to be unhappy...

Spent the night last with my brother and family. Very nice. Had a good breakfast and conversation. The kids went to their father's after, now I'm waiting for their return and we'll do dinner.

hmmmm now that sounds good.. my husband made candy apples Christmas eve. Beautiful red candy apples,,they were good.

Had dinner with the X and my son.

Made the best roast I have ever eaten.

Cost a small fortune, of course, but it was worth every cent.

Spent the day with parents and younger sister. Stopped at sisters place on the way out of town and hooked up her analog to digital converter box for her TV. She was more pleased about that than anything else. Better reception and had new, different channels. Got home, went to bed at 9:00 o'clock.

I got up early Christmas morning and met up with a group from church to distribute gifts to some needy families. It went really well. We only got caught once but the guy who caught us realized what we were doing and started crying and telling us how grateful he was that someone cared. he kept asking us how we knew... (none of the families are members of our church)... we just smiled and ran back to the truck. It was so touching to know we were going to make some little kids happy and that their parents wouldn't have to face them presentless. I have some nice Christmas memories but I think that morning may have moved to the top of my list.

Then I met up with my boyfriend and we drove out to my parents house for the day. I decided we shouldn't stay out there over night because I didn't want there to be any temptation to sleep together... which I have a lot of. :tongue: But we had a great day. We spent most of it snuggled up together in front of a fire. We would talk with the grownups when they were in the room and make out when we were alone. We got into some pretty hot stuff under the blanket. :tongue:

We ended with a huge dinner and then I helped my mom clean up before we drove back to the city.

I got up early Christmas morning and met up with a group from church to distribute gifts to some needy families. It went really well. We only got caught once but the guy who caught us realized what we were doing and started crying and telling us how grateful he was that someone cared. he kept asking us how we knew... (none of the families are members of our church)... we just smiled and ran back to the truck. It was so touching to know we were going to make some little kids happy and that their parents wouldn't have to face them presentless. I have some nice Christmas memories but I think that morning may have moved to the top of my list.

Then I met up with my boyfriend and we drove out to my parents house for the day. I decided we shouldn't stay out there over night because I didn't want there to be any temptation to sleep together... which I have a lot of. :tongue: But we had a great day. We spent most of it snuggled up together in front of a fire. We would talk with the grownups when they were in the room and make out when we were alone. We got into some pretty hot stuff under the blanket. :tongue:

We ended with a huge dinner and then I helped my mom clean up before we drove back to the city.
Nothing like backing up a good Christmas story with details about how horny you are.... great job! :lol:

Good grief.

My son and his family came over in the snow, my house was a mess but it generally is. But the kids had fun, my granddaughter has finally warmed up to me, she's fascinated by my braces. After everyone else was asleep she wouldn't sleep so my son and I sat with her and played until after midnight.

My kids made out like gangbusters in the toy deparment...lots and lots of legos, which is their toy of choice. But pretty much everything else under the sun, too.

I got my son and his wife new winter coats....and some other presents like candy and slippers and stuff like I do every year. And then I got them a gift for "the car" which is this ridiculous lump of metal my son is preternaturally attached to, it's an old Mercury with myriad issues that he's always pouring money into. I got him a spotlight to stick in the cigarette lighter, lol. I figured he could scan the neighborhood on nights when he's feeling antsy (he inherited a tad of my anxiety disorder). It's not like the car ever goes anywhere, at least this way it can make itself useful. He was all excited about that, silly boy.

I got lots of books, which I love. A boxed leatherbound pair of George Eliot books, which I can't wait to scuff up.

We ate ham and crab salad and sweet potatoes, it was pretty low key but I just wasn't up for making a huge elaborate meal, I did that twice at Thanksgiving.

Anyway, it was nice. My sister and her fam are coming tomorrow, arrgggh...I love it when they visit but my house is even worse than it was BEFORE Christmas.

That will make a great memory! For you and also for the people you were so kind to. :)

I hope you don't live in Texas where a band of teenagers trespassing on private property could have ended up shot!!!!

The Kids and I usually pick a new cookie recipe to try every year. This Christmas eve we made...

GUMDROP COOKIES

1 c. butter
1 c. white sugar
1 c. light brown sugar
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. gumdrops
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. coconut
1 c. chopped walnuts
3 c. + 2 tbsp. flour

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add with the balance of ingredients. Drop level teaspoons of batter onto ungreased cookie sheet, handling dough as little as possible. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
Brach's individually wrapped fruit slices in assorted flavors work best. About 15 fruit slices, each cut into 8 to 12 pieces, yield 1 to 1 1/4 cups.

Pretty good too.

Forum List

Back