Fathers' Day Thread

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Getting a start on Fathers' Day; this is adorable!

The Evolution of Dad Dancing with Jimmie Fallon and Chris Christie:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A2IXsB7C0Q].[/ame]

happy father's day to all the dads on board! :thup:

fathers_day_038.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9IbRd8jIM]Dana Carvey: Dad - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
All u wimmin can make Big Daddy a smammich. Add a dill pickle and chips on the side. Chop Chop

Some Random Thoughts About Fathers (Mothers, Too)

Mother nature, in her infinite wisdom, has instilled within each of us a powerful biological instinct to reproduce; this is her way of assuring that the human race, come what may, will never have any disposable income.

Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 40

I asked my brother-in-law, the father of four boys, “If you had it to do all over again, would you still have kids?”
“Yes,” he said, “Just not these four.”

Reader's Digest, July 2014 issue
Life in These United States
Submitted by Sheila Lee, Lorain, Ohio.

I have always taken parenting seriously. I agree with Jacquelyn Kennedy who said, “If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters much.” Unfortunately, in today's chaotic world, far too many parents seek the most expedient methods of dealing with their children with little regard for the long term effects of such treatment. We know that children deserve more than to be ruled by fear, yet we still use fear as a tool. I think Harry Emerson Fosdick was right on point when he said:

“The first impressions of childhood are almost ineradicable, and the first impression which many a home makes upon a child is that duty is an unpleasant necessity. He feels driven to it by fear of ill consequence if he disobey. Desirable results in quiet and good order can be at once obtained by a swift and vehement appeal to such fear. "If you do not stop that," we burst out to a little child, "I will -- ." And then follows the first threat that leaps into the irate parent’s mind. The consequence is immediate: A shivering life draws in upon itself, constrained, repressed. No wonder that duty has uncomfortable associations in multitudes of minds! It is a commentary on parents everywhere that, over two thousand years after Alexander the Great conquered India, Indian mothers are still telling their children that Iskander will get them if they do not obey.

“Upon the other hand, to discover the petulant child’s real need and to give a true satisfaction where a false one was being sought, to unfold the disobedient child into positive goodwill that drives illwill out, to get joyful expression instead of sullen repression --anyone can tell that this is the superior method by noting the faculties in himself which this requires. All that it takes to appeal to fear is indignation and vehemence, and they are cheap. But so to understand the child as to unfold his life into positive and radiant character takes the finest qualities that we posses --insight, sympathy, intelligence, tact and patience.

“Some parents bring up their children on thunder and lightning, but thunder and lightning never yet made anything grow. Rain and dew and sunshine cause growth -- quiet, penetrating forces that develop life. And while thunder and lightning are occasionally useful to clear the air, it is amazing with how little of them a family can get along if only there is enough of the vitality that causes growth” (Twelve Tests of Character, Chapter 5, Section II, emphasis my own).

Happy Fathers Day to all dads everywhere.

All u wimmin can make Big Daddy a smammich. Add a dill pickle and chips on the side. Chop Chop

Want me to fetch the remote while I'm at it?

Thanks Boedicca for this thread and that was a truly awesome post, Professor.

As someone who grew up experiencing the former method of fear and who swore I would never inflict it upon my own offspring I am a better person today for having used the latter method to raise my own child.

The ultimate test of character is not the fear you instill in others but the love you pass on to others in my opinion. I have been extremely fortunate to have spent almost 40 years with my soul mate and to be the proud father of a 28 year old who is now a happy successful productive adult.

As a father it is hard to wish for any more than that.

Peace
DT

After being a father to two daughters for many years, this will be my first fathers day with a son (I acquired him this past Sunday).

Does your wife know that you acquired him? :D

Congratulations.

Forum List

Back