"Father of LSD" turns 100

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Albert Hoffman, who synthesized the chemical "Lyseric Acid Diethylamide" or LSD for the treatment of migraine headaches, and accidently discovered its psychedelic properties instead, is 100 years old today.

His discovery, we all know. is what helped launch the "Flower Power" movement of the 1960s....

Hoffman has since referred to LSD as his "problem child"....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060111/lf_afp/afplifestylescience_060111144749

KarlMarx said:
Albert Hoffman, who synthesized the chemical "Lyseric Acid Diethylamide" or LSD for the treatment of migraine headaches, and accidently discovered its psychedelic properties instead, is 100 years old today.

His discovery, we all know. is what helped launch the "Flower Power" movement of the 1960s....

kinda akin to magic mushrooms eh?however the Native Americans...kept it amongst themselves as a religious experiement...No?

archangel said:
kinda akin to magic mushrooms eh?however the Native Americans...kept it amongst themselves as a religious experiement...No?
I think you're referring to peyote. The flower of the peyote cactus contains mescaline, which has psychedelic properties.

I believe Indians in the SouthWest used Peyote as part of their religious rituals..

KarlMarx said:
I think you're referring to peyote. The flower of the peyote cactus contains mescaline, which has psychedelic properties.

I believe Indians in the SouthWest used Peyote as part of their religious rituals..

peyote is a psychedelic as is LSD...from the rye..both are natural found in nature!

KarlMarx said:

Abbey Hoffman is 100 years old? He must have been old as dirt as a hippie then as well. :cool:

Bonnie said:
Abbey Hoffman is 100 years old? He must have been old as dirt as a hippie then as well. :cool:
not Abbey Hoffman, he died some years back. Albert Hoffman (no relation to Abbey) was a chemist

KarlMarx said:

the peyote buttons...I think ya are confusing MJ Flowers!

archangel said:
peyote is a psychedelic as is LSD...from the rye..both are natural found in nature!

LSD is not naturally occuring. It must be synthesized. THere are naturally occuring chemicals similar to LSD.

I once did peyote I got from a dude in FLagstaff who went by the name of "God". he said one button was "enough to trip a whole village". Damn exageratting hippie. My friend and I made some tea with that one button we got and each did 1/4 of it because we were afraid that if one was enough for a whole village, each doing half would be way too much. Turned out it was just under the amount needed to push us over the edge. So the 1/4 each we had remaining wasn't enough either, though. It was still cool. We went out to these native American cliff dwellings. Pretty sweet.

Haven't seen LSD in years and years. I think the feds finally got rid of most of it, any stuff you can get now probably sucks anyway. Still plenty of mushrooms, that's easy to find if you know where cows are. I don't trip anymore anyway. Grew out of it, learned all I needed to learn from it.

LuvRPgrl said:
Marijuana is classified as a hallucinogen also.

That is what is so very silly about the rediculous drug war. Hallucinogen!!!!???How do they classify valium? Comparing pot to acid is why kids don't believe anything they hear from the antidrug lobby of the alcohol industry. Everyone in school knows numerous people who smoke pot, they see for themselves it doesn't cause adverse effects so they assume warnings against cocaine and heroin are bullshit too.

29 years ago a friend gave me a 4 way hit of windowpane acid at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, it was very intense but that's about it. I didn't have a "badtrip" even though my friend was the only one I knew in NO and we were seperated on Bourbon Street. I remember everything and actually had an incredible time. It was a solid 15 hours of toothgrinding, oversaturated colors, incredibly amplified disgust with the fags on Bourbon, and exploring of the city. Whenever it got a little too intense I would just tell myself "it's suppose to be that way, I'm tripping!''.

I tried eating what was suppose to be a peyote button also. It had no effect except the next morning I had an overwhelming desire to cut my beard off. I hadn't even trimmed it in years and when I ran the clippers from below my mouth to my neck it looked like my chin was so small I stood there and stared at it for longer than normal, that was about it.

sitarro said:
That is what is so very silly about the rediculous drug war. Hallucinogen!!!!???How do they classify valium? Comparing pot to acid is why kids don't believe anything they hear from the antidrug lobby of the alcohol industry. Everyone in school knows numerous people who smoke pot, they see for themselves it doesn't cause adverse effects so they assume warnings against cocaine and heroin are bullshit too.

29 years ago a friend gave me a 4 way hit of windowpane acid at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, it was very intense but that's about it. I didn't have a "badtrip" even though my friend was the only one I knew in NO and we were seperated on Bourbon Street. I remember everything and actually had an incredible time. It was a solid 15 hours of toothgrinding, oversaturated colors, incredibly amplified disgust with the fags on Bourbon, and exploring of the city. Whenever it got a little too intense I would just tell myself "it's suppose to be that way, I'm tripping!''.

I tried eating what was suppose to be a peyote button also. It had no effect except the next morning I had an overwhelming desire to cut my beard off. I hadn't even trimmed it in years and when I ran the clippers from below my mouth to my neck it looked like my chin was so small I stood there and stared at it for longer than normal, that was about it.
http://www.mescaline.com/
SAVE THE CACTI or at least use it properly :laugh:

sitarro said:

In order to hallucinate on pot, you have to prepare it properly.
I think the anti pot ads are alot better now. They basically harp on the fact that pot removes all your motivation.

LuvRPgrl said:
In order to hallucinate on pot, you have to prepare it properly.

Sure, you just need to dust it with some PCP right.

LuvRPgrl said:
I think the anti pot ads are alot better now. They basically harp on the fact that pot removes all your motivation.

I guess Sir Paul McCartney would speak to this falacy, easily one of the most prolific of song writers, painter, tireless performer even as he is about to turn 64. He not only keeps up with the guys in his band that are less than half his age, he shows them how and what to do. I'm sure he can smoke them under the table too.

That whole thing about pot is about as true as beer causing a person to become a couch potato and an alcoholic. . . depends on the person. :smoke:

The misconceptions about pot was brought on by the alcohol industry, I remember the blurb at the end of "Reefer Madness'', "brought to you by the alcohol industry of America", they found it a huge threat. I find it absolutely amazing how many people have gone to jail for very long sentences over a weed that grows wild across the country, especially in Nebraska. No one has ever died from smoking it and yet alcohol is promoted and sold freely and has been responsible for millions of deaths across the world not to mention destroyed marriages, murders, lives in general, livers, kidneys and lives in general. I knew 3 people that I was very close to that ruined their lives and later died from alcohol. I also had a friend whose life was destroyed when the guy he was with was stopped and the state cop found a thimble full of weed under his seat. The police called the place he worked and told them! It cost him thousands, he lost his house, work, wife and kids and finally his life. . . at least he still had his motivation when he died from a massive heart attack.

No I'm not a pot head . . . I did smoke quite a bit when I was younger so I know better than to believe the BS. When I decided it was enough I stopped without any problems, certainly not like quitting cigarettes. I do agree that kids shouldn't be smoking it but then again they shouldn't be drinking or smoking cigarettes either.

sitarro said:
Sure, you just need to dust it with some PCP right.

I guess Sir Paul McCartney would speak to this falacy, easily one of the most prolific of song writers, painter, tireless performer even as he is about to turn 64. He not only keeps up with the guys in his band that are less than half his age, he shows them how and what to do. I'm sure he can smoke them under the table too.

That whole thing about pot is about as true as beer causing a person to become a couch potato and an alcoholic. . . depends on the person. :smoke:

The misconceptions about pot was brought on by the alcohol industry, I remember the blurb at the end of "Reefer Madness'', "brought to you by the alcohol industry of America", they found it a huge threat. I find it absolutely amazing how many people have gone to jail for very long sentences over a weed that grows wild across the country, especially in Nebraska. No one has ever died from smoking it and yet alcohol is promoted and sold freely and has been responsible for millions of deaths across the world not to mention destroyed marriages, murders, lives in general, livers, kidneys and lives in general. I knew 3 people that I was very close to that ruined their lives and later died from alcohol. I also had a friend whose life was destroyed when the guy he was with was stopped and the state cop found a thimble full of weed under his seat. The police called the place he worked and told them! It cost him thousands, he lost his house, work, wife and kids and finally his life. . . at least he still had his motivation when he died from a massive heart attack.

No I'm not a pot head . . . I did smoke quite a bit when I was younger so I know better than to believe the BS. When I decided it was enough I stopped without any problems, certainly not like quitting cigarettes. I do agree that kids shouldn't be smoking it but then again they shouldn't be drinking or smoking cigarettes either.

Pointing out the evils of alcohol does nothing to justify anything about anything, much less pot.

No, its not a fallacy. Just because you can find an exception, doesnt mean smoking pot doesnt reduce MANY persons motivation. I attend AA meetings regularly, and often next door they have MA (Marijuana anon) mtgs. Almost to a person they talk about the lack of motivation they had when high on pot.

And no, pot itself, if cooked and eaten in sufficient quantity (and not some extreme amount) will make you hallucinate.

SpidermanTuba said:
LSD is not naturally occuring. It must be synthesized. THere are naturally occuring chemicals similar to LSD.

I once did peyote I got from a dude in FLagstaff who went by the name of "God". he said one button was "enough to trip a whole village". Damn exageratting hippie. My friend and I made some tea with that one button we got and each did 1/4 of it because we were afraid that if one was enough for a whole village, each doing half would be way too much. Turned out it was just under the amount needed to push us over the edge. So the 1/4 each we had remaining wasn't enough either, though. It was still cool. We went out to these native American cliff dwellings. Pretty sweet.

Haven't seen LSD in years and years. I think the feds finally got rid of most of it, any stuff you can get now probably sucks anyway. Still plenty of mushrooms, that's easy to find if you know where cows are. I don't trip anymore anyway. Grew out of it, learned all I needed to learn from it.

You're not supposed to make tea out of peyote. You're supposed to just eat it. You eat it, then puke, then get off like a rocket.

But don't ask me... I've never done it... :cool:

Pale Rider said:
You're not supposed to make tea out of peyote. You're supposed to just eat it. You eat it, then puke, then get off like a rocket.

But don't ask me... I've never done it... :cool:

If they're anything like mushrooms, tea takes some skill and practice, but good if prepared properly. Not that I'd know either.

There is a lot of debate over marijuana.

But I believe it's generally agreed even amongst us who have indulged in drugs during our youth that PCP, LSD, mescaline and other psychedelic drugs are dangerous and it's best to stay away from them.

Forum List

Back