Father Defend Daughter's Right to Wear Chain-wallet to School

Taomon

Dec 21, 2007
http://www.wickedlocal.com/abington/news/education/x1279456516
ABINGTON, MASS. - Though it was not technically the proper outlet for debate, Tuesday night’s (March 25) school committee meeting turned into a discussion of safety versus self-expression among today’s youth.

Abington resident Sean Pratt took the podium before the school committee dressed in modest dress pants and a button down shirt, and spoke on behalf of his daughter’s right to express her individuality while attending Frolio Middle School.

His daughter, he said, feels most comfortable dressed in gothic-inspired clothes, and could be considered a tomboy.

Pratt said he was lobbying on behalf of his daughter’s right to wear a chain that visibly connects her wallet to her pants while attending school. He said that while the chain may seem like a small item, it embodies much more.

“To my daughter, it’s very important… it’s about control, class warfare, about individuality,” he said.

The wallet chains, which were originally invented to deter pocket picking, are now banned because of their possible use as a weapon, but Pratt believes the ban may also be partially attributed to negative connotations with wearing similar items. He said students who choose to wear wallet chains can be considered anti-utilitarian, opposed to authority, and often of less affluent families.

But members of the school committee asserted it is completely based on possible danger to students, and school superintendent Peter Schafer said he is aware of a student who was struck with a similar wallet chain.

Schafer also said the school committee could not lift the ban and the proper outlet to discuss the matter is before the Frolio School Council, which is meeting again at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 9 at the Frolio School main office. With school council approval, it would then be a matter to be decided by the school committee.

Pratt said he will be attending the April 9 council meeting and will be continuing his efforts in lifting the ban on such chains.

Pratt said tools that are used in education, such as scissors, a bag strap and pens could be equally dangerous.

“Common everyday things, those aren’t banned,” Pratt said.
He said his daughter’s wallet chain was not long or thick, and he noted that chains of similar thickness, length and weight are allowed to be worn as necklaces.

“A necklace is a chain,” Pratt said.
Schafer said that though he could not give an opinion on behalf of the board, his personal opinion is to adhere to the anti-chain rule at Frolio.

“After 15 years of working in middle school, my opinion is schools are safer without chains,” Schafer said.

Gail Desouza, a mother of children attending Woodsdale Elementary School, said she hopes school officials continue to ban wallet chains as a safety measure. She said not all students may be as responsible with their chains as Pratt’s daughter.

“The only thing is, she might be able to control the wallet, but other children may abuse it,” Desouza said. “I just get worried as a parent.”

On Wednesday, Frolio principal Felicia Moschella said she invites all interested parties to attend the council meeting for further discussion of the policy.

She said only a handful of students have been forced to remove a chain while in school, and she said it’s a policy most parents support.

“I have never had anything but positive comments from parents when I’ve asked other students not to bring wallet chains to school,” Moschella said.

But Pratt said he will continue on his mission and hopes to bring the discussion to the public’s attention.

“This policy, I believe there’s room to compromise on this,” Pratt said.

Reporter Mikaela Slaney can be reached at [email protected].

This is an article about me. I am Sean Pratt and I stood up for my daughter's rights.

She HAS no right to carry chains. Schools have every right to set dress codes. It doesn't matter if you approve of them or not. If you don't, send her to another school.

Why are you teaching your children to fight for the sake of fighting and not just when it's reasonable?

Wow, this is scary. The chain is similar to a necklace, according to the article. How soon before necklaces are banned at school?

I wonder if she had had a little cross dangling from her wallet chain if this would have become an issue.

I dunno. Whenever my kids get ahold of a chain, necklace, or even those stupid mardi gras beads that are always coming home with them from everywhere they go, I run like the wind to confiscate.

They whip those things around like crazy, and I just know they're going to put out an eye. Their own. Or mine. My boy was swinging the beads around once and snapped himself on the belly. He had a perfectly circular blemish on his belly for months. It looked like a cigarette burn, only smaller..and I swear I never burned him.

boy child or girl child with the mardi gras beads, allie?

Lets see someone strangle another kid with a fricking necklace. I don't know if this would be the battle i'd pick though. the school isn't telling her not to wear her goth uniform while outside of school. Generally, i don't agree with public school uniforms but for crying out loud.. it's not like this is the movie Footloose and the town has banned dancing.

Wallet-chains are old-school gang weapons, and that's why kids like them. It's not to keep track of their wallets. It's to make a statement, and to be used as a weapon.

Neck chains are one thing, but the heavy, distracting chains favored by Goth kids and drug dealers have no place in school. Let them put them on when they get off the bus.

Lets see someone strangle another kid with a fricking necklace. I don't know if this would be the battle i'd pick though. the school isn't telling her not to wear her goth uniform while outside of school. Generally, i don't agree with public school uniforms but for crying out loud.. it's not like this is the movie Footloose and the town has banned dancing.

Boy child, of course. He's a freak when it comes to swinging and throwing things.

Boy child, of course. He's a freak when it comes to swinging and throwing things.

ahh.. well, then i'd give him a box o' beads and a roundtrip ticket to mardi gras next year!

[queue Orgazmo theme song]

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oECIKVaz5rc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oECIKVaz5rc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

She HAS no right to carry chains. Schools have every right to set dress codes. It doesn't matter if you approve of them or not. If you don't, send her to another school.

Why are you teaching your children to fight for the sake of fighting and not just when it's reasonable?

It is a decorative chain, not a bike chain. It is a double standard because gold necklaces are chains and those are allowed. Bikes are chained up on school property and that is allowed. It is the middle and upper-middle class kids who ride expensive bikes to school and wear gold necklaces...which are allowed, while it is the lower class kids who generally wear chain wallets....which are somehow banned.

The schools in the surrounding towns (two of which my daughter has attended) allowed Chain wallets. I will not change schools just because I disagree with a policy. There is nothing wrong with addressing an issue.

You act as though any law or rule should never be questioned and anyone who does is automatically wrong. Funny, I never considered you a lemming.

I am teaching my daughter to be strong, that it is okay to question authority with logic and that one voice can make a positive change within a Democratic system.

Why is that wrong?

I dunno. Whenever my kids get ahold of a chain, necklace, or even those stupid mardi gras beads that are always coming home with them from everywhere they go, I run like the wind to confiscate.

They whip those things around like crazy, and I just know they're going to put out an eye. Their own. Or mine. My boy was swinging the beads around once and snapped himself on the belly. He had a perfectly circular blemish on his belly for months. It looked like a cigarette burn, only smaller..and I swear I never burned him.

Ummm, yeah. Chain wallets are attached to the wallet and the pants (to keep wallets from being stolen). They are never swung around by anyone I have ever seen.

Actually, if you follow the link there is a blog that people from the town have been commenting on. I have been talking to a lot of people and I have stirred up a hornets nest. The town is apparently corrupt and people are clamouring for change. I would not say this is a waste of time as it has brought us together (a civic group is forming, next Monday is our first meeting)...and it is important to my daughter so it is important to me.

Wallet-chains are old-school gang weapons, and that's why kids like them. It's not to keep track of their wallets. It's to make a statement, and to be used as a weapon.

Neck chains are one thing, but the heavy, distracting chains favored by Goth kids and drug dealers have no place in school. Let them put them on when they get off the bus.

You are partially correct. The chain wallet is a connotation of a certain class of people. That is what the school is banning, any expression that they do not like...not based on security but based on conformity and control.

In the small towns of New England, the rule is that people should mindlessly fit in to what is considered to be "the norm." Anyone who deviates is usually harassed by authority figures ranging from the teachers to the police.

I grew up here, I know. It has only gotten worse because they hide behind a veil of false security and nepotism. Like Bush, these people claim that every time they are being unfair, it is to make the children safe (I am referring other policies that are equally unfair).

This issue is about stopping kids from dressing in fashions that are not "main stream" to the white bread Christians who try and control the town.

But there are many more people in the town who think as I do on this issue.

What a crock of moronic drivel. A chain on a wallet most surely CAN be used AS a weapon. Claiming otherwise is ignorant as hell. As for bike chains, do the kids WEAR them in school? Or do they only use them to LOCK up their bikes?

I remember as a kid when they had to ban certain types of combs from school because in fact they were used as weapons. And we then had the usual uproar from the families that their precious Johnny would never use said metal comb as a weapon.

Okay, I found out that, yes, it can be used as a weapon. Of course, so can almost anything. But if it was against the school dress code it was against the school dress code.

Not that big of a deal.

What a crock of moronic drivel. A chain on a wallet most surely CAN be used AS a weapon. Claiming otherwise is ignorant as hell. As for bike chains, do the kids WEAR them in school? Or do they only use them to LOCK up their bikes?

I remember as a kid when they had to ban certain types of combs from school because in fact they were used as weapons. And we then had the usual uproar from the families that their precious Johnny would never use said metal comb as a weapon.
Here is the thing; Scissors are a weapon, pens & pencils are weapons, bare hands are weapons, bookbags are weapons. These are all common items that are more dangerous than a short decorative chain.

I have done the research for MA schools (the data is available at the MA DOE web site) that shows that fights are more prevalent, knives are more prevalent, guns & bombs are more prevalent, even rape & kidnapping happens more than a child being struck by a chain (actually, there are zero incidents of chains being used as a weapon).

The school has done nothing to safe-guard the kids from guns, knives, bombs or even theft. But chain wallets are banned? The whole thing is a farce. That is why I am lobbying to change the policy. The schools in the surrounding towns (2 of which my daughter attended) allow chain wallets without incident.

Okay, I found out that, yes, it can be used as a weapon. Of course, so can almost anything. But if it was against the school dress code it was against the school dress code.

Not that big of a deal.

To my daughter it matters. To many people in the town, it matters.

It is a decorative chain, not a bike chain. It is a double standard because gold necklaces are chains and those are allowed. Bikes are chained up on school property and that is allowed. It is the middle and upper-middle class kids who ride expensive bikes to school and wear gold necklaces...which are allowed, while it is the lower class kids who generally wear chain wallets....which are somehow banned.

The schools in the surrounding towns (two of which my daughter has attended) allowed Chain wallets. I will not change schools just because I disagree with a policy. There is nothing wrong with addressing an issue.

You act as though any law or rule should never be questioned and anyone who does is automatically wrong. Funny, I never considered you a lemming.

I am teaching my daughter to be strong, that it is okay to question authority with logic and that one voice can make a positive change within a Democratic system.

Why is that wrong?

I think school dress codes are school dress codes. I've also told you before that I think the opportunities available to us are governed, at least in part, by how we present ourselves to the world. So, one can mindlessly oppose any kind of authority or pick and choose one's battles in a way that benefits us.

Telling your daughter it's ok to not abide by school policy is simply silly.

I think school dress codes are school dress codes. I've also told you before that I think the opportunities available to us are governed, at least in part, by how we present ourselves to the world. So, one can mindlessly oppose any kind of authority or pick and choose one's battles in a way that benefits us.

Telling your daughter it's ok to not abide by school policy is simply silly.

Actually, that is not what I said to her. She respects the rules of the school and does not wear the chain. I am showing her that one can make a difference by logically addressing an issue.

Quite frankly, I have devoted my life to changing the whole judging a book by it's cover thing.

Forum List

Back