Father Cutie deposed

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- An internationally known Catholic priest sometimes called "Father Oprah" has been removed from his posts in Florida after published photos showed him lying down bare-chested in an embrace with a woman on a beach.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie was removed from his duties after pictures showed him bare-chested with a woman.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie (pronounced koo-tee-AYE) -- who got the nickname "Father Oprah" because of the advice he gives on Spanish-language media -- remains a priest. But he was relieved Tuesday of his duties at St. Francis De Sales Church in Miami Beach, Florida, and at the Radio Paz and Radio Peace networks, said a "deeply saddened" Miami, Florida, Archbishop John C. Favalora.

The photos of the Cuban-American priest appeared on the cover and on eight inside pages of this week's TV Notas magazine. The cover says in Spanish: "Good God. Padre Alberto. First photos of a priest 'in flagrante' with his lover."

In a message posted on the Miami archdiocese Web page, the archbishop apologized to parishioners and radio listeners for what he called a "scandal."

"Father Cutie made a promise of celibacy and all priests are expected to fulfill that promise with the help of God," Favalora said. "Father Cutie's actions cannot be condoned despite the good works he has done as a priest."

Cutie apologized in an online statement Tuesday, saying he "wants to ask for forgiveness if my actions have caused pain and sadness. ... I assure you that my service and dedication to God remain intact."

Other media outlets throughout Latin America, including the official Notimex news agency in Mexico, picked up the story on Tuesday, and it became an Internet sensation. Cutie has millions of followers in the Spanish-speaking world.

"We got a bunch of calls from sobbing women," said Miami archdiocese spokeswoman Mary Ross Agosta.

Florida priest removed after beach photos with woman published - CNN.com

IMG_5705.jpg

While the Catholic Church has every right to set its own rules, I have never understood the need for priests to abstain from relationships and marriage. And today, with fewer and fewer men choosing priesthood, maybe it is time to rethink this. I'm certain many more Catholic men would choose priesthood if they would be permitted to marry.

While the Catholic Church has every right to set its own rules, I have never understood the need for priests to abstain from relationships and marriage. And today, with fewer and fewer men choosing priesthood, maybe it is time to rethink this. I'm certain many more Catholic men would choose priesthood if they would be permitted to marry.

What I find more glaringly obvious here is the Catholic Church is quick to jump on this guy for laying down on a beach with a *gasp* woman, but if it was one of his altar boys they wouldn't do squat about it.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- An internationally known Catholic priest sometimes called "Father Oprah" has been removed from his posts in Florida after published photos showed him lying down bare-chested in an embrace with a woman on a beach.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie was removed from his duties after pictures showed him bare-chested with a woman.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie (pronounced koo-tee-AYE) -- who got the nickname "Father Oprah" because of the advice he gives on Spanish-language media -- remains a priest. But he was relieved Tuesday of his duties at St. Francis De Sales Church in Miami Beach, Florida, and at the Radio Paz and Radio Peace networks, said a "deeply saddened" Miami, Florida, Archbishop John C. Favalora.

The photos of the Cuban-American priest appeared on the cover and on eight inside pages of this week's TV Notas magazine. The cover says in Spanish: "Good God. Padre Alberto. First photos of a priest 'in flagrante' with his lover."

In a message posted on the Miami archdiocese Web page, the archbishop apologized to parishioners and radio listeners for what he called a "scandal."

"Father Cutie made a promise of celibacy and all priests are expected to fulfill that promise with the help of God," Favalora said. "Father Cutie's actions cannot be condoned despite the good works he has done as a priest."

Cutie apologized in an online statement Tuesday, saying he "wants to ask for forgiveness if my actions have caused pain and sadness. ... I assure you that my service and dedication to God remain intact."

Other media outlets throughout Latin America, including the official Notimex news agency in Mexico, picked up the story on Tuesday, and it became an Internet sensation. Cutie has millions of followers in the Spanish-speaking world.

"We got a bunch of calls from sobbing women," said Miami archdiocese spokeswoman Mary Ross Agosta.

Florida priest removed after beach photos with woman published - CNN.com

IMG_5705.jpg

:lol: Father Cutie..

They do have groupies you know.

What I find more glaringly obvious here is the Catholic Church is quick to jump on this guy for laying down on a beach with a *gasp* woman, but if it was one of his altar boys they wouldn't do squat about it.

:lol: Very true.

How sad that the Catholic Church has turned normal sexual desire into something to be ashamed of.

Father Cutie has to apologize for behaving like a man.

Sad indeed.

Quick! Bones!! Cover your eyes!!

How sad that the Catholic Church has turned normal sexual desire into something to be ashamed of.

Sad indeed.

Well, he knew what he was getting into when he became a priest and he took the vow. So, he should either lives by the rules of the church, or just give up the priesthood.

Sad indeed.

Well, he knew what he was getting into when he became a priest and he took the vow. So, he should either lives by the rules of the church, or just give up the priesthood.

Fair enough.

But it doesn't change the fact that forced celibicy really serves no purpose. It is simply an result of ancient myth and superstition.

Sad indeed.

Fair enough.

But it doesn't change the fact that forced celibicy really serves no purpose. It is simply an result of ancient myth and superstition.

I completely agree with that, they need to move with the times.

Sad indeed.

Fair enough.

and it really had no biblical basis in the first place

Fair enough.

So where did it come from and why is it still in the Catholic Church?

Fair enough.

So where did it come from and why is it still in the Catholic Church?
who knows where they got it from
some pope decided it and that was the end of it

I too left the Priesthood. I could no longer remain true to my faith once the revelations regarding homosexuality were brought forward.

Given that the only Christian Church that asks for vows of celibacy are the Catholics and that Catholicism (the preeminence of the Bishopric of Rome) doesn't really get off the ground until the fourth century AD and that half the Roman Catholic traditions are patently false why would one more false teaching surprise anyone?

Forum List

Back