Father Cutie deposed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chris, May 7, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- An internationally known Catholic priest sometimes called "Father Oprah" has been removed from his posts in Florida after published photos showed him lying down bare-chested in an embrace with a woman on a beach.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie was removed from his duties after pictures showed him bare-chested with a woman.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie (pronounced koo-tee-AYE) -- who got the nickname "Father Oprah" because of the advice he gives on Spanish-language media -- remains a priest. But he was relieved Tuesday of his duties at St. Francis De Sales Church in Miami Beach, Florida, and at the Radio Paz and Radio Peace networks, said a "deeply saddened" Miami, Florida, Archbishop John C. Favalora.

The photos of the Cuban-American priest appeared on the cover and on eight inside pages of this week's TV Notas magazine. The cover says in Spanish: "Good God. Padre Alberto. First photos of a priest 'in flagrante' with his lover."

In a message posted on the Miami archdiocese Web page, the archbishop apologized to parishioners and radio listeners for what he called a "scandal."

"Father Cutie made a promise of celibacy and all priests are expected to fulfill that promise with the help of God," Favalora said. "Father Cutie's actions cannot be condoned despite the good works he has done as a priest."

Cutie apologized in an online statement Tuesday, saying he "wants to ask for forgiveness if my actions have caused pain and sadness. ... I assure you that my service and dedication to God remain intact."

Other media outlets throughout Latin America, including the official Notimex news agency in Mexico, picked up the story on Tuesday, and it became an Internet sensation. Cutie has millions of followers in the Spanish-speaking world.

"We got a bunch of calls from sobbing women," said Miami archdiocese spokeswoman Mary Ross Agosta.

Florida priest removed after beach photos with woman published - CNN.com

[​IMG]

2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    While the Catholic Church has every right to set its own rules, I have never understood the need for priests to abstain from relationships and marriage. And today, with fewer and fewer men choosing priesthood, maybe it is time to rethink this. I'm certain many more Catholic men would choose priesthood if they would be permitted to marry.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What I find more glaringly obvious here is the Catholic Church is quick to jump on this guy for laying down on a beach with a *gasp* woman, but if it was one of his altar boys they wouldn't do squat about it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,018
    :lol: Father Cutie..

They do have groupies you know.

5. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol: Very true.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    How sad that the Catholic Church has turned normal sexual desire into something to be ashamed of.

Father Cutie has to apologize for behaving like a man.

Sad indeed.

7. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Quick! Bones!! Cover your eyes!!

8. Newby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703

Well, he knew what he was getting into when he became a priest and he took the vow. So, he should either lives by the rules of the church, or just give up the priesthood.

9. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Fair enough.

But it doesn't change the fact that forced celibicy really serves no purpose. It is simply an result of ancient myth and superstition.

10. Newby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    I completely agree with that, they need to move with the times.