Fatal Misconceptions

jaffeh

Nov 18, 2011
We are people. We have our biases. I'm an almost 57 year old white Anglo, mostly, female, and I live for Christian white America with moms and dads and suburban houses and the sixties white reality...EARLY sixties.

Saw the riots. Thought. Was just a kid.

Still preferred white America, bug that's just comfort.

The comfort I was born to hurt a lot of people born when I was. And I wasn't even rich.

Okay, fast forward. I grew up and embraced my Democrat principles. All people are equal until they perform.

But then, the USSR died, and the Middle East replaced it.

I went from being terrified as a kid of a nuke strike to...what about terrorists????

Went to the university to work in '90. Had lots of Arab faculty in the school of business.

They scared me.

But just this week, and I left that school almost seven years ago, I had an email exchange with a Muslim professor on my whim. I figured he would ignore me.

He said he was "elated" to hear from me.

We talked back and forth, and he offered me a glass of wine if I visit there.

I didn't think he'd even remember me.

The hard line Repubs should acknowledge such human relations, but they're too BUTT HEAD.

And I'm talking out of my Repub tendencies here.

All people are equal until they perform.

Bingo.

Interesting that you say you're now "talking out of your Repub tendencies".

I'll turn 57 this month. Voted Carter back in college, protested against the B-1, ran for Student Senate VP on a pro-marijuana platform.

But then I graduated and had to "perform" in order to make a living for myself. That didn't make me inequal from my non-performing peers, it made those peers inequal from me.

You're lucky to reconnect with past colleagues. I wish I could find my black friends and colleagues from college days. They taught me so much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g&ob=av3e]Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire - YouTube[/ame]

We are people. We have our biases. I'm an almost 57 year old white Anglo, mostly, female, and I live for Christian white America with moms and dads and suburban houses and the sixties white reality...EARLY sixties.

Saw the riots. Thought. Was just a kid.

Still preferred white America, bug that's just comfort.

The comfort I was born to hurt a lot of people born when I was. And I wasn't even rich.

Okay, fast forward. I grew up and embraced my Democrat principles. All people are equal until they perform.

But then, the USSR died, and the Middle East replaced it.

I went from being terrified as a kid of a nuke strike to...what about terrorists????

Went to the university to work in '90. Had lots of Arab faculty in the school of business.

They scared me.

But just this week, and I left that school almost seven years ago, I had an email exchange with a Muslim professor on my whim. I figured he would ignore me.

He said he was "elated" to hear from me.

We talked back and forth, and he offered me a glass of wine if I visit there.

I didn't think he'd even remember me.

The hard line Repubs should acknowledge such human relations, but they're too BUTT HEAD.

And I'm talking out of my Repub tendencies here.

Was there any point to that post?

All people are equal until they perform.

Bingo.

Interesting that you say you're now "talking out of your Repub tendencies".

I'll turn 57 this month. Voted Carter back in college, protested against the B-1, ran for Student Senate VP on a pro-marijuana platform.

But then I graduated and had to "perform" in order to make a living for myself. That didn't make me inequal from my non-performing peers, it made those peers inequal from me.

You're lucky to reconnect with past colleagues. I wish I could find my black friends and colleagues from college days. They taught me so much.

I'm sorry. I had to.:eusa_silenced: :(

Attachments

• $Jokes Find your Daddy.jpg
    $Jokes Find your Daddy.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 61

Forum List

Back