Fatal heroin overdose tests limits of amnesty law

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sitting in the basement of his Milton home, heroin flowing through his veins for the first time, Gregg Ivey was euphoric.

“This is the best feeling in the world!” he exclaimed.

Moments later, Ivey collapsed, his face ashen, his lips turning blue. Friends couldn’t find a pulse and someone called 911.

At 10:09 p.m., shortly after arriving at North Fulton Hospital, Ivey, 28, was pronounced dead. The life-of-the-party jokester with the bushy black beard was gone.

That was nearly three years ago. But for Graham Williams, who allegedly helped Ivey locate a vein and shoot up that night, the consequences live on.

The Fulton County district attorney has charged Williams, 35, with “distribution” of heroin — for injecting him with the fatal dose — plus a felony murder charge that could send him away for life. Williams’ lawyer is arguing that his client should be immune from prosecution under Georgia’s 911 Medical Amnesty law.

Adopted in 2014 to encourage drug users to render aid instead of running away, the statute says that a person who calls 911 and remains at the scene “in good faith” providing care for an overdose victim cannot face criminal prosecution.

I like this law. I don't think that it can fly with not allowing someone to call for 15 minutes and then calling and using it as a defense.

Sitting in the basement of his Milton home, heroin flowing through his veins for the first time, Gregg Ivey was euphoric.

Moments later, Ivey collapsed, his face ashen, his lips turning blue. Friends couldn’t find a pulse and someone called 911.

At 10:09 p.m., shortly after arriving at North Fulton Hospital, Ivey, 28, was pronounced dead. The life-of-the-party jokester with the bushy black beard was gone.

That was nearly three years ago. But for Graham Williams, who allegedly helped Ivey locate a vein and shoot up that night, the consequences live on.

The Fulton County district attorney has charged Williams, 35, with “distribution” of heroin — for injecting him with the fatal dose — plus a felony murder charge that could send him away for life. Williams’ lawyer is arguing that his client should be immune from prosecution under Georgia’s 911 Medical Amnesty law.

Adopted in 2014 to encourage drug users to render aid instead of running away, the statute says that a person who calls 911 and remains at the scene “in good faith” providing care for an overdose victim cannot face criminal prosecution.

I like this law. I don't think that it can fly with not allowing someone to call for 15 minutes and then calling and using it as a defense.

Did the guy call 911?
Did he remain at the scene and try to render aid?

If so then it appears to me the intention of the law was fulfilled.

They guy is stupid, you should test the strength of the Heroin first to get the amount of "cut" you need. This is true if you are just starting out to be a druggy dope head. The sell kits online to tell you how pure the Heroin is and then you have to cut it. Most new druggy s should never use anymore than 5 MG and follow that on a upward scale until the last shot that he will ever take. Hope that helps anyone just starting out.

They guy is stupid, you should test the strength of the Heroin first to get the amount of "cut" you need. This is true if you are just starting out to be a druggy dope head. The sell kits online to tell you how pure the Heroin is and then you have to cut it. Most new druggy s should never use anymore than 5 MG and follow that on a upward scale until the last shot that he will ever take. Hope that helps anyone just starting out.
T bad he did not have some Nar-Can on hand, I suggest all drug users have at least one dose. I could save your life.

T bad he did not have some Nar-Can on hand, I suggest all drug users have at least one dose. I could save your life.
Here's a better idea. DON'T DO HEROIN!

That will DEFINITELY save your life.

Here's a better idea. DON'T DO HEROIN!

That will DEFINITELY save your life.
Good idea 5000 but you do know they use it in Europe and it is better than using oxy or any of the other drugs for pain, but using it just for "fun" is wrong if you don't know how to use it. Keep posting.

Forum List

Back