Fatah: Iran paid Hamas to block Palestinian unity deal

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Iran paid the Islamist group Hamas to block a deal with the rival Fatah movement that would have ended a five-year rift between the two main Palestinian factions, a Fatah spokesman said on Tuesday.

He said Tehran recently resumed financial aid to Hamas which it had suspended six months ago over the Palestinian movement's failure to back their mutual ally President Bashar Assad of Syria in his military campaign to crush dissent.

Hamas has since turned overtly against Assad. But, according to Fatah, Iran is more concerned with supporting the armed Palestinian movement that is ready to challenge Israel from its Gaza Strip stronghold.

"We have information that Iran paid tens of millions of dollars to Zahar and Haniyeh in their visits to Iran," said Ahmed Assaf, referring to Hamas leaders Mahmoud Zahar who visited Tehran last week and Ismail Haniyeh who was there in February.

Assaf was responding to a comment by Zahar that Palestinian political reconciliation "is in the freezer now", despite a unity deal signed last month.

"Reconciliation is in the freezer because Zahar was the one who put it there and he got the price from Iran," Assaf told Reuters. "Zahar, Haniyeh and Hamas's Gaza leadership were paid by Iran to freeze reconciliation."

"Iran has an interest in the division continuing. Iran realizes the importance of the Palestinian cause from the religious, political and geographic status and, therefore, it wants to control it," Assaf said.

If unity was restored and the Palestine Liberation Organization or any legitimate leadership ruled Gaza, Iran would lose its influence, he said.

Fatah: Iran paid Hamas to block Palestinian unity deal - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Iran paid the Islamist group Hamas to block a deal with the rival Fatah movement that would have ended a five-year rift between the two main Palestinian factions, a Fatah spokesman said on Tuesday.

He said Tehran recently resumed financial aid to Hamas which it had suspended six months ago over the Palestinian movement's failure to back their mutual ally President Bashar Assad of Syria in his military campaign to crush dissent.

Hamas has since turned overtly against Assad. But, according to Fatah, Iran is more concerned with supporting the armed Palestinian movement that is ready to challenge Israel from its Gaza Strip stronghold.

"We have information that Iran paid tens of millions of dollars to Zahar and Haniyeh in their visits to Iran," said Ahmed Assaf, referring to Hamas leaders Mahmoud Zahar who visited Tehran last week and Ismail Haniyeh who was there in February.

Assaf was responding to a comment by Zahar that Palestinian political reconciliation "is in the freezer now", despite a unity deal signed last month.

"Reconciliation is in the freezer because Zahar was the one who put it there and he got the price from Iran," Assaf told Reuters. "Zahar, Haniyeh and Hamas's Gaza leadership were paid by Iran to freeze reconciliation."

"Iran has an interest in the division continuing. Iran realizes the importance of the Palestinian cause from the religious, political and geographic status and, therefore, it wants to control it," Assaf said.

If unity was restored and the Palestine Liberation Organization or any legitimate leadership ruled Gaza, Iran would lose its influence, he said.

Fatah: Iran paid Hamas to block Palestinian unity deal - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

I remember even if Fatah seems to have disregarded the fact that Hamas's attempted coup of the Palestinian Presidency ended with Hamas fleeing the West Bank in a loss and moving into Gaza to attack the much weaker Fatah forces and claim the partition for Hamas.

Now that gave Hamas power in the Gaza strip and their first move was to kill as many Fatah members as they could get their hands on. Tossing them out windows, off of roofs, street assassinations, etc.

In point of fact, Israel had to open the gates in order that the PA could evacuate their fighters out of the strip and that Israel provided transport for the Fatah escapees to the west bank.

It seems that Hamas is trying to prove that only they can defeat the state of Israel, hoping that the Arabs of Judea and Samaria will vote for them and turn what they call the the west bank into a launch pad for Iranian missiles into Israel.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDjBiuHPqE]The Muslim War Council - YouTube[/ame]

good to see you and the ghlick having a laugh, a war will be not funny but it seems it will come

That's what you don't get. It's not funny. Of course you might think it's funny, but as was posted after the first one, it's scary and not funny. The humor is used to posit the dark and stark reality.

You know it as you're the one calling for the war to start Jos.

Yes I call for the end of this bullshit propaganda war (I dont argue well) but I do have experience in fighting a hot war, bring it on

Yes I call for the end of this bullshit propaganda war (I dont argue well) but I do have experience in fighting a hot war, bring it on

But you call for destruction quite well. Doubly so when you are not in the arena. :clap2:

But you call for destruction quite well. Doubly so when you are not in the arena. :clap2:

Neither are you phantom non tree planter :clap2:

Of course, neither is he clamoring for war like some idiot on this thread is doing. You're awfully cavalier with the lives of others ... those you require to fight your war against the Jews. Perhaps those "Palestinians" weary of tossing generation after generation of their kids on the fire you so eagertly keep burning.

Interesting. What instructions did Iran give to Hamas?

Sayit:
Be careful what you wish for ... those hapless "Palestinians" might just get it.
Please tell me you are sayitaintso, one of my favorite old posters.

Probably the usual stuff like: contintue to try and "erase Israel from the pages of history" with complete disregard to Palestinian lives and suffering.
Actually , try and maximize Palestinian suffering so the world will symphatize and donate you money and you could take that aid and buy new weapons.

Probably the usual stuff like: contintue to try and "erase Israel from the pages of history" with complete disregard to Palestinian lives and suffering.
Actually , try and maximize Palestinian suffering so the world will symphatize and donate you money and you could take that aid and buy new weapons.

Nice speculation. Did you make that up or did you get it from an Israeli propaganda site?

Forum List

Back