Fat Southerners

Where is NC on the fat scale? Isn't that home to Crispy Cremes?
Aren't they out of business? At least the grocers that distributed them around here are not stocking their donuts any more. Not that it was a great loss. Arguably, the best donuts are from small, Mom and Pop operations that have been in a community for years. L&B right here or Oram's in Beaver Falls.

Longs Bakery, Indianapolis. :eusa_drool:

Unless you're very careful about what you eat, eating healthier foods tends to be a tad more expensive than eating junk.

Fresh veggies and fruit tend to more expensive per caloric unit than meat, fat and sugar.

Now if you eat very simply, oats, beans, rice etc, you can actually eat healthfully and cheaply, too.

But that usually means you also have to cook these foods from scratch.

Apparently cheaper convenience food (its not cheaper it just costs less) and the costand inconvenience of healthier food is what's making a lot of us fatter.

That and SODA.

I cannot believe how much soda people drink these days.

In part that's because soda is do damned cheap!

Two liters of Cola for a buck or so versus two liters of cranberry juice for $4.50?

It takes careful shipping and planning and learning to COOK to eat cheaply and healthfully.

Far too many of us people are too busy, or too lazy and not very good home economists.

Finally, and this might shock some of us...many people just eat too damned much!

We don't eat because they're hungry, they eat for psychological comfort.

A lot of eat for the same reason smokers smoke.

Last edited:
Just spent the week in South Carolina. Everything is deep fried or loaded with sugar.Also, a Waffle House at every intersection

Oh horseshit. Quit eating at Denny's.

South Carolina has some of the best eateries in America.

As does Georgia and Florida.

I was up in Maine 6 months ago. Had two lobsters, about a cup of butter, french fries, more butter, cole slaw, w/butter and bread.

Healthy ?

Christ - grow a brain dude.

Explains why you have a moron as your avatar

Notice any fat on Ed Nortons chiseled body?

Go eat a deep fried turkey

You obviously haven't had fried turkey. The outside of the turkey is seared and seals the juices inside the bird........ with the peanut oil at the proper temperature, the turkey isn't greasy at all. Why are you so critical of black people?

Where is NC on the fat scale? Isn't that home to Crispy Cremes?
Aren't they out of business? At least the grocers that distributed them around here are not stocking their donuts any more. Not that it was a great loss. Arguably, the best donuts are from small, Mom and Pop operations that have been in a community for years. L&B right here or Oram's in Beaver Falls.

For mass production, Tim Hortons has kept up their end of the game for quality.

But I love going into little bakeries sp? where it's just the family cranking out really fine foods. They work so hard at it. And we win in the end supporting them because the baked goods are so awesome.

I can't match them out of my kitchen, and I'm pretty good.

Favorite southern chefs

Earl Peyroux (best show ever was the turducken show) and Justin Wilson, but I also liked Nathalie Dupree as well despite her being a liberal kinda rino. Food supercedes politics, lol.

Justin was the real deal, a true cajun chef. Being from cajun country myself, I can tell you that Paul Prudhomme and Emeril couldn't wash Justin's dishes. His accent, although pushed a bit, was pretty authentic. My parents had a couple of his stand up albums, pretty funny guy.

Oh horseshit. Quit eating at Denny's.

South Carolina has some of the best eateries in America.

As does Georgia and Florida.

I was up in Maine 6 months ago. Had two lobsters, about a cup of butter, french fries, more butter, cole slaw, w/butter and bread.

Healthy ?

Christ - grow a brain dude.

Explains why you have a moron as your avatar

Notice any fat on Ed Nortons chiseled body?

Go eat a deep fried turkey

You obviously haven't had fried turkey. The outside of the turkey is seared and seals the juices inside the bird........ with the peanut oil at the proper temperature, the turkey isn't greasy at all. Why are you so critical of black people?

Unfortunately a lot of folks don't know you have to dump your oil. So they just keep reusing the same oil over and over. Hence you are going to have a health issue.

Deep frying is probably one of the most healthiest ways to cook food if people did it correctly.

I'm with you on this. If you have the heat high appropriately, we are talking not only great taste but well cooked without being dry and grainy in the oven.

I love to smoke as well. And for others, I'm not talking tobacco.

Favorite southern chefs

Earl Peyroux (best show ever was the turducken show) and Justin Wilson, but I also liked Nathalie Dupree as well despite her being a liberal kinda rino. Food supercedes politics, lol.

Justin was the real deal, a true cajun chef. Being from cajun country myself, I can tell you that Paul Prudhomme and Emeril couldn't wash Justin's dishes. His accent, although pushed a bit, was pretty authentic. My parents had a couple of his stand up albums, pretty funny guy.

What I loved best about him was that he really taught me the difference between cajun and creole.

All of a sudden I was looking at two really different cuisines. I really loved him. You felt like you were in his kitchen and he was cooking just for you. And he made you understand the trinity.

Damn, he was a good man and a great chef.

Apparently cheaper convenience food (its not cheaper it just costs less) and the costand inconvenience of healthier food is what's making a lot of us fatter.

That and SODA.

I cannot believe how much soda people drink these days.

In part that's because soda is do damned cheap!

"Soda?"

:eusa_hand:
Ya'll mean, Coke.

I was hanging out at the Piggly Wiggly last week and really got an appreciation of southern culinary habits. Did you know that you can serve grits with anything?
Grits: Not just for breakfast. Ideally, mixed with cheese and served with catfish and a side of collards.

Do you know how fuckin' hot it is down here? Who the hell wants to go outside and exercise!?

That's not an excuse. On the days I don't go to the gym I run anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 miles even when it hits 100 degrees.

2.5 - 4.5 ??

:clap2:

I do 5.0 miles every morning at 0500 and 5.0 miles every evening at 2000

And the Y at noon for weights and 15 miles on the bike.

Nice being able to actually get a workout, vs. a 2.5 mile stroll.

Pat yourself on the back if it makes you feel good.

Impressed with your stats?

Nope...

I don't know what you're getting so worked up over. It is a statistical fact that southerners are disproportionately obese compared to the rest of the country and it's due to eating habits and lack of exercise. I noticed it immediately when I moved here from Boston. That doesn't mean there aren't fat people everywhere; there are just a lot more here.

Also, I was simply pointing out that the hot summers are no excuse to not exercise. I'm not training for a marathon, just trying not to end up like all my fat neighbors.

Just because you don't like the message, no reason to shoot the messenger.

That's not an excuse. On the days I don't go to the gym I run anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 miles even when it hits 100 degrees.

2.5 - 4.5 ??

:clap2:

I do 5.0 miles every morning at 0500 and 5.0 miles every evening at 2000

And the Y at noon for weights and 15 miles on the bike.

Nice being able to actually get a workout, vs. a 2.5 mile stroll.

Pat yourself on the back if it makes you feel good.

Impressed with your stats?

Nope...

****sensing the inevitable penis length comparison, Samson slowly backs away from the thread****

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Put down that Moon Pie!

Southerners, poor have highest rates of obesity - USATODAY.com

The South still has the highest percentage of people who are too heavy. Nine of the 10 states with the highest obesity rates are in the South, the report says.

Mississippi continues to be the state with the highest level of obesity at 34.4%; Colorado has the lowest rate at 19.8%

The South may be the hardest hit by obesity because of high rates of poverty and a traditional diet that is unhealthy, Levi says.

Top 10 Fattest States

1. Mississippi (34.4%)
2. Alabama (32.3%)
3. West Virginia (32.2%)
4. Tennessee (31.9%)
5. Louisiana (31.6%)
6. Kentucky (31.5%)
7. Oklahoma (31.4%)
8. South Carolina (30.9%)
9. Arkansas (30.6%)
10. Michigan (30.5%)

Let's break down the obesity stats to reflect race.....

More Obese Blacks Than Hispanics And Whites In The US

I'd say the southern states are more obese because they have more blacks.

Forum List

Back