Fat Kids

Indeed. If only we all could have the metabolism of young boys. Sadly, life is incredibly unfair that way.

I hated my brother in high school. He would eat a whole pizza and loose five lbs, I would look at the pizza and gain 5lb. :lol: And I was pretty active. I hate boys.

My brother, who is now 6'4", grew 7 inches in one year during high school. One of the family jokes was that he ate PBJ sammiches and drank milk all day long, and only took breaks for meals. I stopped growing by my freshmen year - and was horrified that he could eat that much while I lived on salad.

Boys have it So Easy compared to Girls. ;)

Indeed, it is harder for women to stay in shape, purely from the muscle density standpoint. That extra muscle burns more calories plus the natural desire to do more physically challenging activities. Men often excercise for fun, while women excercise to get in shape. Of course that's a stereotype but that's why it's a stereotype, because usually it's true.

I disagree. Overweighting carbs is unhealthy, and contributes to Type II diabetes. Humans are not biologically much (if any) different than prehistoric humans. Lean protein, vegetables, nuts, with a bit of fruit is much healthier (they are what our bodies were designed to use as fuel) than processed and refined carbs (which is what most people consume). White flour and white rice are not healthy staples.

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. I'm not advocating the overweighting of carbs. Our bodies, like early humans, were designed for lots of activity. Whole grains are the staff of life and are the best thing you can put into your body as far as nutrients, vitamins and minerals and complex carbs. Such things as found in the breads made from 100% whole grain products.
A balanced diet is always best and it is best balanced by the main staple of whole grains. Wheat, barley, oats etc.
Fruits, vegetables, nuts are all designed for the further benefit of man.

But if a person is leading a sedentary lifestyle, then those carbs are not burned off as they should be and get stored as fat. We were all designed to run and walk a lot in our lives. If we're not doing those things, we're defeating the purpose of our existence.

Grains are not the staff of life. They are something humans added to their diets as they moved from hunter gatherer to farming lifestyles. The fossil records show that humans that lived on grains were shorter and less healthy than those who followed a diet that was more consistent with the hunter gatherer foods.

I whole heartedly agree on the need for a balanced diet - just question the role of most grains in that balance.

It all depends on which grains you're talking about. I'm referring to whole grains. They do nothing but positives for your body and are necessary to performing at a high physical level. Ask pro cyclers or runners and they'll all tell you they load up on carbs. There also isn't a shred of fat on them.

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. I'm not advocating the overweighting of carbs. Our bodies, like early humans, were designed for lots of activity. Whole grains are the staff of life and are the best thing you can put into your body as far as nutrients, vitamins and minerals and complex carbs. Such things as found in the breads made from 100% whole grain products.
A balanced diet is always best and it is best balanced by the main staple of whole grains. Wheat, barley, oats etc.

But if a person is leading a sedentary lifestyle, then those carbs are not burned off as they should be and get stored as fat. We were all designed to run and walk a lot in our lives. If we're not doing those things, we're defeating the purpose of our existence.

Grains are not the staff of life. They are something humans added to their diets as they moved from hunter gatherer to farming lifestyles. The fossil records show that humans that lived on grains were shorter and less healthy than those who followed a diet that was more consistent with the hunter gatherer foods.

I whole heartedly agree on the need for a balanced diet - just question the role of most grains in that balance.

It all depends on which grains you're talking about. I'm referring to whole grains. They do nothing but positives for your body and are necessary to performing at a high physical level. Ask pro cyclers or runners and they'll all tell you they load up on carbs. There also isn't a shred of fat on them.
Didn't Michael Phelps say he had to eat 9,000 calories a day while he was training?

I remember when I would go to basketball camp, and we would be working out outside, I had to eat quite a bit to keep going. My snack was usually some sort of whole grain cereal, always seemed to work the best.

Extensive physical activity is a special category of dietary needs. Most people are doing the level of training that Michael Phelps does. He also eats a lot of eggs and bacon, I seem to recall.

At the end of the day, it's about balance for a reasonable lifestyle that includes healthy food choices and at least a moderate amount of activity. Diet alone isn't enough.

Extensive physical activity is a special category of dietary needs. Most people are doing the level of training that Michael Phelps does. He also eats a lot of eggs and bacon, I seem to recall.

At the end of the day, it's about balance for a reasonable lifestyle that includes healthy food choices and at least a moderate amount of activity. Diet alone isn't enough.

Michael Phelps burns so many calories that he can get away with eating even junk food, but he simply would not perform at the same level unless he had his carbs.

Ohh I wish I was an Oscar Mayer weiner.....

wiener.jpg

The food pyramid which overweighted carbohydrates and demonized meat has contributed to the problem. Parents think they are helping their kids with heaping plates of pasta and potatoes.

More veggies, lean protein, low fat dairy plus moving more would make a world of difference for these little fatties.

In fact convention wisdom insofar as diet is concerned is one of the worst ways to eat.

Primal Blueprint

SkullPilot, if you see your neighbor whip his dog half to death, do you care? Do you stop him by calling the cops?

Would you report it if he were beating his kid?

If you report abuse, you care.

We have different definitions of abuse.

Feeding your kids too much is NOT physical abuse.

It's a form of neglect which will affect the kid's quality of life for his remaining years.

Obese kids are far more likely to grow up into obese adults, and suffer from asthma, diabetes, and the whole host of obesity related diseases.

Maybe so but it is not our business what people do within the walls of their own home.

If people want to be fat then so be it. As I said before it's nobody's business.

I disagree. Overweighting carbs is unhealthy, and contributes to Type II diabetes. Humans are not biologically much (if any) different than prehistoric humans. Lean protein, vegetables, nuts, with a bit of fruit is much healthier (they are what our bodies were designed to use as fuel) than processed and refined carbs (which is what most people consume). White flour and white rice are not healthy staples.

Whole grains are one of the worst things you can eat.

We have only had grains in our diet for a very small part of our evolutionary history. We are simply not built to effectively process grains.

In fact once we moved to a grain based agricultural model, the health of the species declined overall.

Whole grains are one of the worst things you can eat.

We have only had grains in our diet for a very small part of our evolutionary history. We are simply not built to effectively process grains.

In fact once we moved to a grain based agricultural model, the health of the species declined overall.

Whatever source you're using, it all depends on the lifestyle of the individual. There is no all inclusive study that covers all. If we were all track runners, then a high carb diet would be great. But a balanced diet is great for us regular joes.

Well done. Too many kids are not being taught by their parents how to cook - which is a real shame. Being able to cook is an important self-reliance survival skill.

Girls should be taught cooking, that's right.
But, boys do not learn such things at home in their teeanger years. It is unusual for a boy to be in kitchen and preparing food with sister or mother and learning from them how a real warm meal is prepared.
Once boys leave home as grown-ups, they usually either go fast-food (eating outside) or preparing mostly freezer or microwave food.
If they still live as single after a while, out of monotony they will sooner or later try to learn making fresh food.

To the hydrocarbon subject, which was raised here. As was stated, white bread and such should be consumed if you will have physical activity immediately after (+40 min).
Hydrocarbons made out of wholemeal you can eat as much as you want, though it is still energy intake and you have to consider not to eat more then your body actually needs in total calories.

Glycemic index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I eat a lot wholemean Spaghetti. It's simple meal, but it is one of my favourite meals.
Off course, I eat different things with it. But a portion Spaghetti I eat almost every day, between 100-300 grams, depends on what I've eaten already.
P.S: It does not make me fat these kinds of hydrocarbons.

Last edited:
I eat a lot wholemean Spaghetti. It's simple meal, but it is one of my favourite meals.
Off course, I eat different things with it. But a portion Spaghetti I eat almost every day, between 100-300 grams, depends on what I've eaten already.
P.S: It does not make me fat these kinds of hydrocarbons.

If you are eating 100-300 grams of most HYDROCARBONS everyday, it's a miracle you are still alive.

We have different definitions of abuse.

Feeding your kids too much is NOT physical abuse.

It's a form of neglect which will affect the kid's quality of life for his remaining years.

Obese kids are far more likely to grow up into obese adults, and suffer from asthma, diabetes, and the whole host of obesity related diseases.

Maybe so but it is not our business what people do within the walls of their own home.

If people want to be fat then so be it. As I said before it's nobody's business.

Sure if people WANT to be fat then they should be allowed. But I don't think anyone really WANTS to be fat.
Children don't have a choice most of the time. So if we see children being malnourished/overnourished we shouldn't just ignore it. We should try to stop it. Overnourishment is as dangerous as malnourishment. It's just the difference between freezing to death or burning to death. One just happens sooner than the other.

If you are eating 100-300 grams of most HYDROCARBONS everyday, it's a miracle you are still alive.

100 grams wholemeal Spaghetti equals 300-333 calories.
300 grams wholemeal Spaghetti equals 900-1.000 calories.

I need about 2.900 - 3.200 calories a day to keep my actual weight.
I weigh 74 Kilograms. Even if I eat 300 grams Spaghetti a day (which is not everyday), I still eat a lot other things.
I eat no candies, no chocolate and such. For me it is very hard to even eat my needed calories. I only match my needed calories by eating almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts etc., which have high density of energy in small format. 100 grams of whatever nuts usually equals 600 calories.
It's also healthy. Here in Turkey, the Federation against Heart Diseases aired together with Health MInistry TV-Spots saying "1 hand of hazelnuts a day for a strong heart".

This is one of best things you can grow indoors. It is highy nutritious.
Moringa oleifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you have to constantly cut it and eat it, else it will grow enourmously.

100 grams
---------------- Moringa
Vitamin A 6,780 mg Carrot: 1,890 mg
Vitamin C 220 mg Orange: 30 mg
Kalzium 440 mg Cow Milk: 120 mg
Kalium 259 mg Banana: 88 mg
Protein 6,7 g Cow Milk: 3,2 g
Meerrettichbaum ? Wikipedia

On TV, they powdered its seeds and put it 40 mins in contaminated water.
After 40 mins all bacterias were binded at bottom of glass and water was drinkable without any health risks. Development Assistance projects utilize it in Africa.

Forum List

Back