Fat Kids

What do you expect in a society where there are no parents or if there is it is usually a single parent who has to work and has no time to take care of their children. Other people care for those children as much as the parent.

A parent can also be so ... loving that child they want to give them everything and face it, when a child wants something you kow it. They are so close to the situation they cannot see reality of how fat they are. This is no they are all wrong thing. Society "forces" children to live inside more (TV, Internet, cellphones, games) and the reduction of exercise probably contributes more to obesity than the food itself. Food is just one ingredient in the equation.

Indeed food isn't the only ingredient for obesity but it is the worst. 85% of your physical makeup is in response to your diet.
Don't get me started on the way fat kids avoid activity like Vampires avoid the sun. Video games and other sedentary amusements should only be allowed if you are the right body fat %. If you're too fat, you get to play outside, or play on a sports team and get to do pushups.

If you don't know what to do to get your kids in shape, it's ok, poney up and pay for a personal trainer. Don't have the money?(unlikely if you have the money to buy all that extra food.) Then make them run a mile everyday, drink a gallon of water every day and eliminate meat and any junk food(ie, candy, ice cream, soda.) for just one month and watch the magic happen. Your kids will lose a minimum of 10 pounds that month.

Obese babies and toddlers are not the result of changes in society, unless you include our rising tolerance for pathological behavior in parents. A hungry 6 month old will eat mashed peas or strained lamb...but not with the dedication it'll eat whatever the fuck these fat babies are getting. Sugar water and ice cream, I suppose. If every time a baby wants attention, you feed it sugar and fat.....I'm sure it's compliant, but it is still abused.

A 2nd grader who is 10% over ideal body weight is a totally different kettle of fish from a 12 month old who weighs 50 lbs.

But even the kids who are just a little overweight, need to be corrected as well. No kid, no matter what, should ever be overweight. No person for that matter. That includes myself. I have no good excuse for the extra 20 pounds I'm carrying that I absolutely don't need. All it takes is a little discipline.

I really don't care if people allow themselves or their kids to get fat. Ain't none of my business.

Why don't you care? These people need help. They need intervention and they are ruining their kids lives and destroying any ambition these kids may have had. Addiction destroys ambition. Maybe that kid could have grown up and cured the cancer you might get if he wasn't ruined as a child.

Obese babies and toddlers are not the result of changes in society, unless you include our rising tolerance for pathological behavior in parents. A hungry 6 month old will eat mashed peas or strained lamb...but not with the dedication it'll eat whatever the fuck these fat babies are getting. Sugar water and ice cream, I suppose. If every time a baby wants attention, you feed it sugar and fat.....I'm sure it's compliant, but it is still abused.

A 2nd grader who is 10% over ideal body weight is a totally different kettle of fish from a 12 month old who weighs 50 lbs.

Were there obese babies back in the 50's, the 60's? What has changed in ther interm years? Yes the food itself has changed to a certain degree but so has the family structure and who teaches these new mothers how to raise kids if they had no mothers to begin with?

No, there were not. And I guess that's part of why I'm so angry. It's clearly a social problem...not some sort of new "fat gene" epidemic. And I might point out, there were no fat kids in the 70's or 80's either...this is a fairly new phenom.

(Bear in mind, I am talking about babies and toddlers. Kids old enough to spend time away from home are a different matter.)

Yes, I think it's a way of doping a baby. Yes, I think it's laziness/inadequacy/etc. I'm just not a huge fan of "medicalizing" criminal conduct, especially when the victims are babies. MDs should be compelled to report severely obese babies and toddlers to CPS, and steps should be taken to remove these children from their parents' custody.

I really don't care if people allow themselves or their kids to get fat. Ain't none of my business.

Why don't you care? These people need help. They need intervention and they are ruining their kids lives and destroying any ambition these kids may have had. Addiction destroys ambition. Maybe that kid could have grown up and cured the cancer you might get if he wasn't ruined as a child.

SkullPilot, if you see your neighbor whip his dog half to death, do you care? Do you stop him by calling the cops?

Would you report it if he were beating his kid?

If you report abuse, you care.

The food pyramid which overweighted carbohydrates and demonized meat has contributed to the problem. Parents think they are helping their kids with heaping plates of pasta and potatoes.

More veggies, lean protein, low fat dairy plus moving more would make a world of difference for these little fatties.

Were there obese babies back in the 50's, the 60's? What has changed in ther interm years? Yes the food itself has changed to a certain degree but so has the family structure and who teaches these new mothers how to raise kids if they had no mothers to begin with?
Step one they should attend counseling with a nutritionist. #2 they should attend counseling with a personal trainer or even just the school PE teacher and get a regular routine scheduled for excercise.
#3 after 3 months if the child cannot pass an appropriate physical, the child could be placed in protective custody.

I babysat, once, for a family with an extremely obese baby when I was a teenager. The mother was into organics, and made a very fattening yogurt drink for the poor thing - and he was literally force fed. The baby looked like he had been blown up with a tire pump.

As my mom was a dietitian who taught my siblings and I proper eating habits from an early age, I was horrified. What the mom was doing to that baby was child abuse. The way people ate for generations works fine. It's really not that difficult to plan and eat healthy, balanced, properly portioned meals.

Last edited:
Seems to me, step one would be distinguishing between hunger and other baby needs, like sleep, diaper changes and affection. Parents should know they will lose custody if they force feed.....and we, as a society, should protect babies and toddlers.

The food pyramid which overweighted carbohydrates and demonized meat has contributed to the problem. Parents think they are helping their kids with heaping plates of pasta and potatoes.

More veggies, lean protein, low fat dairy plus moving more would make a world of difference for these little fatties.

The food pyramid is pretty great actually. People who pile on the carbs just because they see a larger portion of carbs suggested are not following the food pyramid. There's still calories that need to be watched.

Remember that carbs are "ready made fuel" for moving the body to perform activities. It's meant to be burned off. Our society is making it difficult to move these days and therefore those carbs aren't being burned and instead are being converted to and stored as fat. It's a huge shame how much P.E. is being cut from schools now and the crap that schools are feeding kids in school lunches.

Carbs are not the enemy. It's ignorance of which carbs and how to use them.

My son could eat McDonalds all day long and still not get fat. When you only stop moving when you are sleeping, you tend to burn off a lot of calories. :lol:

I disagree. Overweighting carbs is unhealthy, and contributes to Type II diabetes. Humans are not biologically much (if any) different than prehistoric humans. Lean protein, vegetables, nuts, with a bit of fruit is much healthier (they are what our bodies were designed to use as fuel) than processed and refined carbs (which is what most people consume). White flour and white rice are not healthy staples.

Last edited:
My son could eat McDonalds all day long and still not get fat. When you only stop moving when you are sleeping, you tend to burn off a lot of calories. :lol:

Indeed. If only we all could have the metabolism of young boys. Sadly, life is incredibly unfair that way.

Nobody was a crappier nutrionist as a Mom than me. I'm telling ya, something evil is going on because merely allowing a child to eat as he wishes ain't causing the life-threatening obesity we see nowadays in very young children.

These kids are being force fed...I don't give a shit what lies these parents tell. They are, it's criminal, and we should demand CPS handle it.

Very true! Food is all too often used as a babysitter. The baby will end up with constant diaper rashes from delayed diaper changings and of course the baby cries and the only way to pacify them(instead of changing the diaper and playing with them) is give them some juice. Usually something like 5% juice to boot.

Parents who can't watch their children need to set guidelines for the babysitter to follow. Maybe actually do a little research on what is healthy for children. Maybe actually talk to a pediatrician about it. You can take care of your kids even if you're not able to do it yourself.

But when you are home. You better not neglect them and give them food or treats to shut them up so you can watch tv or mess around with your boyfriend/girlfriend.

Again it all stems from the selfishness of the parents.

I don't live my life sticking my nose into the private lives of others. And when those kids are 18 they can move out, join a gym lose weight and all go on to be doctors and astronauts.

SkullPilot, if you see your neighbor whip his dog half to death, do you care? Do you stop him by calling the cops?

Would you report it if he were beating his kid?

If you report abuse, you care.

We have different definitions of abuse.

Feeding your kids too much is NOT physical abuse.

I don't live my life sticking my nose into the private lives of others. And when those kids are 18 they can move out, join a gym lose weight and all go on to be doctors and astronauts.

I suspect we just disagree about what constitutes criminal child abuse, Skull Pilot. That's okay; I know I am a bit extreme about this.

I assume that your son is at least one or both of the following:
1. High metabolism
2. Very active in sports of some kind.

That being said some people can smoke for 100 years and still live that long(George Burns live 104 years). But if they didn't smoke they would have lived longer.

Your son would be an even better athlete and in even better shape if he ate healthier. And I would argue that a diet of McDonalds every day all day would be the bane of even the worlds greatest athletes. You and your son should watch "Supersized." A very interesting and entertaining movie. Also very awakening.

I'm not anti McDonalds, but I am pro health. Junk food does have it's place, as an occasional treat.

Forum List

Back