fat dogs....all of them....

That's good. Just get that exercise in there and your dogs should be okay.

Mine all play like crazy and I'm careful about how much I feed them.

I feed Blue Buffaloe and the dogs love it. They get wet a couple of times a week. LOL They think they got steak instead of wet food.

No diet food. Just feed them less.
And make sure they get plenty of exercise. Dogs should be walked every day.
Walking isn't exercise for a dog unless it's nearly crippled. They need to run and jump and wrestle around, they are pack/social animals. A dog park is the best thing going for them. If not find a group to get together with.

That's good. Just get that exercise in there and your dogs should be okay.

Mine all play like crazy and I'm careful about how much I feed them.

I feed Blue Buffaloe and the dogs love it. They get wet a couple of times a week. LOL They think they got steak instead of wet food.
Steak is cheaper.

so i ran the dogs to the vet yesterday....her first comment....'none of them have missed a meal' and it went down hill from there....

thor is now a 'king doberman' that is what owners of huge ass dobermans call them....my vet calls him a fat ass

buddy the corgi mix.....has gained 5 lbs....he is at 47 lbs...

semba the active one....aussie mix....is fat too....

she said reduce their food 25% immediately....well i did that....and they are going to devour me any minute now....

any used diet food for dogs.....
so i ran the dogs to the vet yesterday....her first comment....'none of them have missed a meal' and it went down hill from there....

thor is now a 'king doberman' that is what owners of huge ass dobermans call them....my vet calls him a fat ass

she said reduce their food 25% immediately....well i did that....and they are going to devour me any minute now....

How about increasing their exercise too?

One of my neighbors used to put his dogs in the back of his pickup and drive out to an old farm. He would let them out and then drive down the dirt tracks with them running after him for a couple of miles. Neither of his dogs were ever fat.
Be careful about the exercise part...our Springer was overweight according to the vet so we took her for a long walk...she "pooped out" about 1/2 mile from home...literally refused to walk any more. Wife walked the other dogs home, got the car and came back for us...put Jeff in the garage with water (it wasn't a hot day)...checked on him an hour later and he was dead......heart attack. It was very sad.

Walking isn't exercise for a dog unless it's nearly crippled. They need to run and jump and wrestle around, they are pack/social animals. A dog park is the best thing going for them. If not find a group to get together with.
Most dogs are genetically programmed to run up to thirty miles a day...you're right. For most fatties the only realistic option is less food. I feed Snoop about a cup a day, maybe less, or he gets big as a house. Mylo is 1/4 his weight and can easily eat 2-3 times as much and not get fat. They get meat from the table as their treats (it really is cheaper)

Most dogs are genetically programmed to run up to thirty miles a day...you're right. For most fatties the only realistic option is less food. I feed Snoop about a cup a day, maybe less, or he gets big as a house. Mylo is 1/4 his weight and can easily eat 2-3 times as much and not get fat. They get meat from the table as their treats (it really is cheaper)
My Rat Terrier got BIG. Embarrassingly so. It just crept up on me. I wasn't feeding him a lot though, I learned there is a huge quality difference with pet foods, which is nearly unregulated. I got rid of grain heavy foods and his weight came down. He was always very active, loves to swim.

I give them hamburger meat and hotdogs sometimes. Pet food is very over priced for the most part. They need mostly protein, most dog food is loaded with fillers.

One of my neighbors used to put his dogs in the back of his pickup and drive out to an old farm. He would let them out and then drive down the dirt tracks with them running after him for a couple of miles. Neither of his dogs were ever fat.
Be careful about the exercise part...our Springer was overweight according to the vet so we took her for a long walk...she "pooped out" about 1/2 mile from home...literally refused to walk any more. Wife walked the other dogs home, got the car and came back for us...put Jeff in the garage with water (it wasn't a hot day)...checked on him an hour later and he was dead......heart attack. It was very sad.
Yeah because dogs will, literally, die to please their masters, they tend to get pushed too far. I have seen it a lot with people swimming their dogs. Fido sits in the house all day every day for a year, then mom and dad go camping and first thing spend 15 hours throwing a stick into the lake or river for the dog. Good grief, they're tough, not immortal. Probably your pup had a pre existing condition though that just wasn't diagnosed.

like people do with their kids, spoil their dogs.

price to pay for that....

Yeah because dogs will, literally, die to please their masters, they tend to get pushed too far. I have seen it a lot with people swimming their dogs. Fido sits in the house all day every day for a year, then mom and dad go camping and first thing spend 15 hours throwing a stick into the lake or river for the dog. Good grief, they're tough, not immortal. Probably your pup had a pre existing condition though that just wasn't diagnosed.
Possibly. Keep in mind, it was not a super long walk and the conditions were 60s-70s...he was 11 at the time.

Forum List

Back