Fast-growing web of doorbell cams raises privacy fears

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
Is there nothing the Left won't whine about?

The police who keep watch over the town of 16,000 raffled off free cameras in a partnership with the camera manufacturer. So far, the devices have encountered more bears than criminals, but Chief Ed Stephens is still a fan. “Anything that helps keep the town safe, I’m going to do it,” he said.

But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities. Police say the cameras can serve as a digital neighborhood watch.

The police who keep watch over the town of 16,000 raffled off free cameras in a partnership with the camera manufacturer. So far, the devices have encountered more bears than criminals, but Chief Ed Stephens is still a fan. “Anything that helps keep the town safe, I’m going to do it,” he said.

But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities. Police say the cameras can serve as a digital neighborhood watch.

I'm surprised it's not the libertarians that are whining? I'm certainly not, in fact it's only a matter of time before I get mine.

I have my own 12 camera system. There’s no way in hell anyone is getting access to it without hacking, or a warrant.

I'm surprised it's not the libertarians that are whining? I'm certainly not, in fact it's only a matter of time before I get mine.

It's a silly argument. You can cam your private property all you like. That it flows into the street is irrelevant.

It's a silly argument. You can cam your private property all you like. That it flows into the street is irrelevant.
Indeed. Public view isn’t protected.

Plus most of the low level cams suck unless the person is AT your doorbell, i.e. ringing your bell, or trying to swipe your amazon package. Most passerbys look like grainy ghostly blurry things.

Walk through any big city. Almost every business has Cams viewing the street, and City Government does also. In addition even suburban, and rural communities now often have red light CAMS that can track you from place to place.

If you are outside the four walls of your home just ASSUME you are on camera. You may even be viewed inside your home by DHS, TSA, etc. They do have that technology.

Walk through any big city. Almost every business has Cams viewing the street, and City Government does also. In addition even suburban, and rural communities now often have red light CAMS that can track you from place to place.

If you are outside the four walls of your home just ASSUME you are on camera. You may even be viewed inside your home by DHS, TSA, etc. They do have that technology.

Lose the "smart" technological gizmos. Cover phone cams unless using them.

Plus most of the low level cams suck unless the person is AT your doorbell, i.e. ringing your bell, or trying to swipe your amazon package. Most passerbys look like grainy ghostly blurry things.
I’m very happy with my Swann system. Very high quality, high definition.

If you want to see the future, check out London street cameras. I understand they are everywhere and, at some of them, are accessible via the internet. Won't be long before every Ring is online. Good thing or bad thing? Certainly good for neighborhood security. We've had some car break ins and someone put a Ring shot of the culprit online. If everyone had a Ring the cops could trace him back to his home. Bad for your kid if he wants to break curfew.

If you want to see the future, check out London street cameras. I understand they are everywhere and, at some of them, are accessible via the internet. Won't be long before every Ring is online. Good thing or bad thing? Certainly good for neighborhood security. We've had some car break ins and someone put a Ring shot of the culprit online. If everyone had a Ring the cops could trace him back to his home. Bad for your kid if he wants to break curfew.

If you can put a Ring shot of the culprit up, then it's a good system.

Forum List

Back