Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

You are not now, nor have you ever been, "the owner".

I am an owner. That is what happens when companies go public. There are lots of owners and what he company does is their business.

You own stock for the purposes of investment. That's all.

If you and I decide we are going to partner up and buy a Dairy Queen, and I only invest 20% of the cost, that doesn't give me rights to anything. All I am doing is buying a fraction of a company for investment purposes only. You, owning the other 80% of the company run it. You make the decisions, you take care of the bookwork, you hire and fire the employees, you decide how much they will earn per hour or week. That's what Cecilie is trying to explain to you.

In stocks, you do own part of the company, but perhaps a fraction of 1%. That being said, the only interest or participation you have is to collect profit or suffer the loss.

And it is your business. You are effected by how it is run. Sorry but to claim it isn't my business when I am an owner is just stupid. You clowns should give it up already. Collecting profit or suffering loss effects me. That means it is my business!!!

I have a far bigger investment in these companies than most of you have in politics, yet you are still on here bitching every day. You are just one of over 300 million people. By your arguments you shouldn't be on here bitching about politics. Follow your arguments and go away.

The only business you have is growing your money--that's it. As for how the business operates, that's their business. If you don't like the way they operate their business, you simply pull out of their company because you can't change how they do things. It's not up to you.

Sorry but being an owner makes it my business.

You have no more influence in politics than I have in these companies. Take your own advice.

I have much more influence in politics than a small stock holder has in running the company they have stocks in.

The confusion here is the word "business." Yes, it is your business as in your concern. However the way you are writing, you use "business" as if it's an operation you run.

So let's settle this once and for all:

Yes, stocks are your business with the definition being it is your concern.
No, stocks do not make you a business owner. It makes you an investor.

That too.

Actually, funny coincidence, one of the reason I no longer drive a truck is because I started on a medication that's not well-indicated for operation of heavy machinery. Just as well, since the long-term side effects include RLS, which would make double-clutching that sucker for 10-11 hours straight impossible.

You use the clutch to shift? Why do you torture yourself?! Hell, I didn't even use the clutch when I shifted my F-350.

Because it was a company truck, and their policy was that they would rather have you use the clutch, because it's cheaper to repair/replace the clutch mechanisms than the whole transmission because you insisted on "floating" the gears.

Not my machinery, not my decision. Besides, I have never in my life seen a driver who was as good at floating gears as he thought he was. I assume it's some sort of testosterone-fueled male pride thing, like driving much longer than you should before waking your partner, for no good reason whatsoever.

Oh, you had a fact? It must have gotten buried under the mass of bullshit, Internet-millionaire claims. You might want to throw the poor little thing a life preserver or something.

Ah it seems you aren't that bored. Thanks for proving yourself wrong. Bravo.

Wrong. The fact that I'm acknowledging your existence is proof that I'm exactly that bored, not proof that I'm not. If I had the option right now of doing anything more interesting - like picking lint out of my belly button, for example - I would be doing that instead.

You are one sad person.

Only to the extent that rampant stupidity makes me sad for the future of humanity. YOU make me positively weep with fatalism.

I think you make yourself sad.

I think the phrase "I think" is completely inappropriate where you're concerned.

That too.

Actually, funny coincidence, one of the reason I no longer drive a truck is because I started on a medication that's not well-indicated for operation of heavy machinery. Just as well, since the long-term side effects include RLS, which would make double-clutching that sucker for 10-11 hours straight impossible.

You use the clutch to shift? Why do you torture yourself?! Hell, I didn't even use the clutch when I shifted my F-350.

Because it was a company truck, and their policy was that they would rather have you use the clutch, because it's cheaper to repair/replace the clutch mechanisms than the whole transmission because you insisted on "floating" the gears.

Not my machinery, not my decision. Besides, I have never in my life seen a driver who was as good at floating gears as he thought he was. I assume it's some sort of testosterone-fueled male pride thing, like driving much longer than you should before waking your partner, for no good reason whatsoever.

My uncle has always done it...I'm sure the 3 blown discs in his back were a reason (this was the days of stiff mechanical clutches), but I never saw him miss a gear. I once rode with him from Cranston, RI to Buffalo and back, and I don't think he touched the clutch half a dozen times. That was in an old GMC General with a Detroit and an 18-speed, so it needed LOTS of shifting.

His usual tractor was a cabover KW with a Cummins 855 and I think a 13-speed...he put close to 600,000 OTR miles on it on the same transmission and clutch.

I am an owner. That is what happens when companies go public. There are lots of owners and what he company does is their business.

You own stock for the purposes of investment. That's all.

If you and I decide we are going to partner up and buy a Dairy Queen, and I only invest 20% of the cost, that doesn't give me rights to anything. All I am doing is buying a fraction of a company for investment purposes only. You, owning the other 80% of the company run it. You make the decisions, you take care of the bookwork, you hire and fire the employees, you decide how much they will earn per hour or week. That's what Cecilie is trying to explain to you.

In stocks, you do own part of the company, but perhaps a fraction of 1%. That being said, the only interest or participation you have is to collect profit or suffer the loss.

And it is your business. You are effected by how it is run. Sorry but to claim it isn't my business when I am an owner is just stupid. You clowns should give it up already. Collecting profit or suffering loss effects me. That means it is my business!!!

I have a far bigger investment in these companies than most of you have in politics, yet you are still on here bitching every day. You are just one of over 300 million people. By your arguments you shouldn't be on here bitching about politics. Follow your arguments and go away.

The only business you have is growing your money--that's it. As for how the business operates, that's their business. If you don't like the way they operate their business, you simply pull out of their company because you can't change how they do things. It's not up to you.

Sorry but being an owner makes it my business.

You have no more influence in politics than I have in these companies. Take your own advice.

I have much more influence in politics than a small stock holder has in running the company they have stocks in.

The confusion here is the word "business." Yes, it is your business as in your concern. However the way you are writing, you use "business" as if it's an operation you run.

So let's settle this once and for all:

Yes, stocks are your business with the definition being it is your concern.
No, stocks do not make you a business owner. It makes you an investor.

Yes I am obviously not running a business just because I am a stock holder. But the stock price effects me so it is my business in that regard. And being an owner gives me every right to talk about ceo pay or anything else about the company. To claim it doesn't is silly.

I think you greatly exaggerate your influence on politics...

That too.

My uncle has always done it...I'm sure the 3 blown discs in his back were a reason (this was the days of stiff mechanical clutches), but I never saw him miss a gear. I once rode with him from Cranston, RI to Buffalo and back, and I don't think he touched the clutch half a dozen times. That was in an old GMC General with a Detroit and an 18-speed, so it needed LOTS of shifting.

His usual tractor was a cabover KW with a Cummins 855 and I think a 13-speed...he put close to 600,000 OTR miles on it on the same transmission and clutch.

I can't imagine a company complaining about clutch use. Our other drivers need a new clutch anywhere between 80,000 and 130,000 miles. I've driven vehicles well over 300,000 without a clutch replacement.

We lease our trucks now. It makes sense with all that pollution crap they put in these things today. I would have to estimate that about 80% of my repairs needed have something to do with some sort of pollution gadget going haywire or screwing up the computers.

I have the newest tractor, and Penske was trying to convince my boss to go to an automatic transmission instead of the standard. Not such a good idea up north here when you get stuck in a dock on a snowy day. My employer agreed, that's why I have a standard transmission in that truck.

When I bobtail, I use three gears: 5th, 7th and 10th, and that's all I need. My tractor moves like a race car because I'm blowing cars away. These people that bobtail with these automatics, I swear it's like their driving with a 40,000 lbs load. That would drive me bonkers.

That too.

I can't imagine a company complaining about clutch use. Our other drivers need a new clutch anywhere between 80,000 and 130,000 miles. I've driven vehicles well over 300,000 without a clutch replacement.

We lease our trucks now. It makes sense with all that pollution crap they put in these things today. I would have to estimate that about 80% of my repairs needed have something to do with some sort of pollution gadget going haywire or screwing up the computers.

I have the newest tractor, and Penske was trying to convince my boss to go to an automatic transmission instead of the standard. Not such a good idea up north here when you get stuck in a dock on a snowy day. My employer agreed, that's why I have a standard transmission in that truck.

When I bobtail, I use three gears: 5th, 7th and 10th, and that's all I need. My tractor moves like a race car because I'm blowing cars away. These people that bobtail with these automatics, I swear it's like their driving with a 40,000 lbs load. That would drive me bonkers.

I used to work for Swift. Apparently, over their entire - very large - fleet, it was costing them a lot of money to repair the damage being done to transmissions by drivers improperly floating gears. Their cost analysis people determined that it was much cheaper overall to repair the wear on the clutch caused by regular use, so that's their policy.

Again, doesn't really matter to me whether it makes sense or not. Their truck, their decision. You takes the money, you accepts the rules.

Like most people I know who have driven trucks, I vastly prefer standard transmissions over automatic. It's a damned shame that they're so difficult to find in cars these days.

That too.

I used to work for Swift. Apparently, over their entire - very large - fleet, it was costing them a lot of money to repair the damage being done to transmissions by drivers improperly floating gears. Their cost analysis people determined that it was much cheaper overall to repair the wear on the clutch caused by regular use, so that's their policy.

Again, doesn't really matter to me whether it makes sense or not. Their truck, their decision. You takes the money, you accepts the rules.

Like most people I know who have driven trucks, I vastly prefer standard transmissions over automatic. It's a damned shame that they're so difficult to find in cars these days.

I don't need a standard in a car. It doesn't do me any good. It's just extra work. But in a truck, that's an entirely different situation. I do fear that one day they won't be available in a truck either. I talk to drivers that have the automatic, and when I ask how they like them, they kind of shrug their shoulders like it doesn't matter either way.

The last truck my employer owned was an International that had a Vorad system in it. It was a doppler radar that kept the truck a great distance from the vehicle in front of you. If you got too close, the damn thing would sound an alarm. If you were on cruise control, it would automatically slow down the vehicle and you had no control over it.

They installed it without the ability to turn it on or off so the driver had no way to disable it. I complained to my employer but the dealership needed some sort of computer number to shut it off which we didn't have. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I came to work with a sheet of aluminum foil and some Gorilla tape®. I wrapped that foil around that Vorad and taped it tight. That damned thing never went off again and I could use my cruise control anytime I wanted. LOL!

I don't need a standard in a car. It doesn't do me any good. It's just extra work. But in a truck, that's an entirely different situation. I do fear that one day they won't be available in a truck either. I talk to drivers that have the automatic, and when I ask how they like them, they kind of shrug their shoulders like it doesn't matter either way.

The last truck my employer owned was an International that had a Vorad system in it. It was a doppler radar that kept the truck a great distance from the vehicle in front of you. If you got too close, the damn thing would sound an alarm. If you were on cruise control, it would automatically slow down the vehicle and you had no control over it.

They installed it without the ability to turn it on or off so the driver had no way to disable it. I complained to my employer but the dealership needed some sort of computer number to shut it off which we didn't have. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I came to work with a sheet of aluminum foil and some Gorilla tape®. I wrapped that foil around that Vorad and taped it tight. That damned thing never went off again and I could use my cruise control anytime I wanted. LOL!

Standards give you the same advantages in a car as in a truck, just on a smaller scale. I really dislike giving up any of the control to the vehicle itself.

Standards give you the same advantages in a car as in a truck, just on a smaller scale. I really dislike giving up any of the control to the vehicle itself.

Well I can't think of any advantage.

In a truck, you're supposed to use the highest gear possible without stalling the engine to get out of a dock that's not plowed properly or otherwise when snow is coming down too fast for the plows to keep up. And like I said, when bobtailing, you can start off in a high gear and skip gears all the way to highway speed. You can't do those things using an automatic transmission.

Needless to say I don't pull trailers with my car nor am I ever in a dock, so I don't need an automatic transmission and can't think of a situation I would be in where a standard would be more beneficial.

They are so hard up for workers at McDonald's in NW Ark they are paying 9 dollars and hour to start and a 250 dollar bonus after 90 days...

They are so hard up for workers at McDonald's in NW Ark they are paying 9 dollars and hour to start and a 250 dollar bonus after 90 days...

That's a lot of places in the US. Most people that enter a minimum wage job don't stay at minimum wage too long. They usually advance in the company they work for or quickly find other jobs that pay better money.

The left gets all flustered about a wage that less than 3% of our population make. Their claim is that raising minimum wage would reduce the need for social programs and provide for families. What a bunch of bunk.

Many companies use minimum wage to test their new workers. It's also why a lot of employers use temporary services. Firing employees can get expensive, especially if they are of minority status. So they use minimum wage and temporary services to test drive the employees first.

That's a lot of places in the US. Most people that enter a minimum wage job don't stay at minimum wage too long. They usually advance in the company they work for or quickly find other jobs that pay better money.

The left gets all flustered about a wage that less than 3% of our population make. Their claim is that raising minimum wage would reduce the need for social programs and provide for families. What a bunch of bunk.

Many companies use minimum wage to test their new workers. It's also why a lot of employers use temporary services. Firing employees can get expensive, especially if they are of minority status. So they use minimum wage and temporary services to test drive the employees first.
I used to work as many jobs as it took to pay the bills and eat....Many folks are trying, but I had advantages 35 years ago they didn't have today...Getting and education was affordable then, now it's outrageous compared to the income you need to make to pay back loans...I also learned several trades to enhance my ability to earn more and self employment did that.....Since I was an electronic tech in industry and topped out at 9 dollars and hour... which would not allow me to take care of my family..
My eldest son (31) is a truck driver now and makes over 50k a year...

I used to work as many jobs as it took to pay the bills and eat....Many folks are trying, but I had advantages 35 years ago they didn't have today...Getting and education was affordable then, now it's outrageous compared to the income you need to make to pay back loans...I also learned several trades to enhance my ability to earn more and self employment did that.....Since I was an electronic tech in industry and topped out at 9 dollars and hour... which would not allow me to take care of my family..

Boy does that bring back memories.

I used to repair medical equipment, so my company wanted me to go to electronics school. I always had an interest in electronics so what the hell?

After a while going to class three times a week after work got to wear me out real quick. So I asked my teacher what kind of money I could make once I got my FCC license which was one year of class. He told me about 16K per year. So again I asked, what if I stayed for the Associates degree consisting of two years of class. He told me about 18K per year.

That was back in the early 80's, but even then, that was not much money. I don't have to tell you how complicated electronics was at that time. But the problem was that everybody wanted to be in the field, so the pay didn't quite equate the amount of time and money you spent to get any kind of degree in electronics. Those people were a dime a dozen.

So I quit the class after the first couple of semesters. A few years later, I ordered cable television, and low and behold, the guy who installed it was a former classmate of mine. He went through the entire year of class and got his FCC license. He told me how smart I was to drop out. There was simply no paying jobs in the field, that's why he worked for a cable company.

I used to repair medical equipment, so my company wanted me to go to electronics school. I always had an interest in electronics so what the hell?

After a while going to class three times a week after work got to wear me out real quick. So I asked my teacher what kind of money I could make once I got my FCC license which was one year of class. He told me about 16K per year. So again I asked, what if I stayed for the Associates degree consisting of two years of class. He told me about 18K per year.

That was back in the early 80's, but even then, that was not much money. I don't have to tell you how complicated electronics was at that time. But the problem was that everybody wanted to be in the field, so the pay didn't quite equate the amount of time and money you spent to get any kind of degree in electronics. Those people were a dime a dozen.

So I quit the class after the first couple of semesters. A few years later, I ordered cable television, and low and behold, the guy who installed it was a former classmate of mine. He went through the entire year of class and got his FCC license. He told me how smart I was to drop out. There was simply no paying jobs in the field, that's why he worked for a cable company.
I went into the military and learned electronics and electrical doing anti-armor missile systems and power generation equipment.......When I tried to get a job after getting out, soldiers were still bad folks and I had a hard time finding work....It wasn't until 1990 that I finally got a job working as and industrial electronics and electrical tech...But after several years I figured I could make more money going back into being a mason running my own company..

I went into the military and learned electronics and electrical doing anti-armor missile systems and power generation equipment.......When I tried to get a job after getting out, soldiers were still bad folks and I had a hard time finding work....It wasn't until 1990 that I finally got a job working as and industrial electronics and electrical tech...But after several years I figured I could make more money going back into being a mason running my own company..

That's the American way. It's also the problem with our social programs and increases in minimum wage. You have to be hungry to go out and hunt for food.

As long as we keep giving everybody enough to be comfortable, there is no need (for many) to try and do better. It's one of the problems unions brought to our country. Give a guy 50K a year to turn nuts onto bolts, there's no reason for him to learn a skill or get an education. This gravy job is forever.

When tides turned and these nut turners found themselves out of a job, they were in their middle ages with kids in school and a huge house payment. They had no portable skills to get a good paying job. Nobody would pay them "livable" wages to do monkeys work, so they were screwed.

This is one reason I'm against a huge minimum wage increase and social programs people don't need to be on. In my industry, they predict we will be short 46,000 workers because you can't get an American to get off of the Obama phone and SNAP's card. They're doing quite fine sitting at home.

That's the American way. It's also the problem with our social programs and increases in minimum wage. You have to be hungry to go out and hunt for food.

As long as we keep giving everybody enough to be comfortable, there is no need (for many) to try and do better. It's one of the problems unions brought to our country. Give a guy 50K a year to turn nuts onto bolts, there's no reason for him to learn a skill or get an education. This gravy job is forever.

When tides turned and these nut turners found themselves out of a job, they were in their middle ages with kids in school and a huge house payment. They had no portable skills to get a good paying job. Nobody would pay them "livable" wages to do monkeys work, so they were screwed.

This is one reason I'm against a huge minimum wage increase and social programs people don't need to be on. In my industry, they predict we will be short 46,000 workers because you can't get an American to get off of the Obama phone and SNAP's card. They're doing quite fine sitting at home.
I wish I was 30 years younger, I'd love to do it all over again....I don't live in a huge house, it's a small home, I don't have a smart phone, just a basic, I don;t have an expensive truck, it's a 1996 Silverado that I use to make money and fix myself..I taught my kids that what other people are paying through the nose for to play keeping up with the Joneses, is a waste of life and will only lead to trouble in hard times....

I wish I was 30 years younger, I'd love to do it all over again....I don't live in a huge house, it's a small home, I don't have a smart phone, just a basic, I don;t have an expensive truck, it's a 1996 Silverado that I use to make money and fix myself..I taught my kids that what other people are paying through the nose for to play keeping up with the Joneses, is a waste of life and will only lead to trouble in hard times....

I try to make myself comfortable. I do have cable television although no movie channels or anything special. I have a smart phone, but I use it for work quite frequently. My internet is medium speed. Why do I need to go faster? I do have a giant television set though. The last big screen I purchased 20 years earlier. I would have gotten it repaired, but it was so old nobody could find parts for it. I never go on any vacations or to the movies, so my giant television set is my only other entertainment besides this internet.

I work about 20 miles away so my Camry gets about 30 mpg since I mostly drive highway. Many of my tenants drive nicer cars than my 2009 Camry, but I'm happy with it and too old to be trying to impress girls with the neatest car. Besides, I don't need a car payment on top of all other things.

Forum List

Back