Fashion and Etiquette

Lol.
Well keep dressing up, you're setting a good example.

Plus it's fun.

I feel the same about school and school functions. I know we are in a tiny, very poor school district...and I know one of the perks of attending a really small school is not having to worry about what you're wearing...we have no cliques. We aren't big enough to have cliques.

But even so, I'm appalled that people will send their kids to school dirty, unbrushed, in wildly inappropriate or ill-fitting clothes....and the same for the school functions.

I bought my kids school uniforms..because I'm not rich, either...and cheap clothes wear out quickly. School uniforms are cheap but they look smart, they wash up well, and they're durable (after all, they're 100 percent polyester!)

My girl always has a couple of dressy dresses for church, and my boy always has vests, slacks, and long-sleeved dress shirts.

And I tell them when they complain, which sometimes they do (though less and less) that their job is to go to school, and you always want to dress appropriately for work...and school.

And don't even get me started on the kids whose pants top is almost below their ass cheeks.

I am a firm believer in school uniforms. It relieves a lot of peer pressure on the kids, esp the poor ones.

I'm with you.

☭proletarian☭;2100819 said:
between church and prom?

30046_1_468.jpg

gothic-prom-dresses-5.jpg

so something like

custom%20made%20dress%20by%20Blissful%20brides.jpg

Now, see, THOSE outfits I have! . . . Hey, have you been going through my closet? :eusa_eh:

My wife and I go out to dinner theaters, plays and concerts fairly often. We always dress well when we go to these things. Not overboard but what we think is appropriate. I will usually wear slacks, sport coat and a tie. The wife will wear a dress of some sorts. It never fails. We are always over dressed. Nobody seems to dress up anymore. Not for weddings. Not for funerals. Nothing. It's a shame. People for the most part dress like slobs these days.

True. I do remember the last time I went to the opera (way too long ago) and noticing that the people around me in the cheap seats were dressed anywhere from church to office casual, with one or two just this side of jeans and a t-shirt.

I'm sure I'll work it out and look great, because I always do. :eusa_angel: I'm just amazed that it's like pulling hen's teeth to get anyone to admit there's an appropriate way to go about this.

Lol.

Plus it's fun.

I feel the same about school and school functions. I know we are in a tiny, very poor school district...and I know one of the perks of attending a really small school is not having to worry about what you're wearing...we have no cliques. We aren't big enough to have cliques.

But even so, I'm appalled that people will send their kids to school dirty, unbrushed, in wildly inappropriate or ill-fitting clothes....and the same for the school functions.

I bought my kids school uniforms..because I'm not rich, either...and cheap clothes wear out quickly. School uniforms are cheap but they look smart, they wash up well, and they're durable (after all, they're 100 percent polyester!)

My girl always has a couple of dressy dresses for church, and my boy always has vests, slacks, and long-sleeved dress shirts.

And I tell them when they complain, which sometimes they do (though less and less) that their job is to go to school, and you always want to dress appropriately for work...and school.

One of the reasons I learned to sew was that my mother always insisted that I not only have a reasonable wardrobe of church dresses (she'd have died before letting me wear the same dress every week), but also that I had to have a special dress for Easter and Christmas. When my little girl was growing up, we not only made her special holiday dresses, we made her matching hats and ruffled socks to go with her black patent leather Mary Janes.

Yes, my children will come by their adult therapy honestly. ;)

Lol.

Plus it's fun.

And don't even get me started on the kids whose pants top is almost below their ass cheeks.

I am a firm believer in school uniforms. It relieves a lot of peer pressure on the kids, esp the poor ones.

I'm with you.

Occasionally, my son will forget to wear his belt around the house. His jeans aren't THAT sort of baggy, but they are loose-fitting. Inevitably, he'll bend over for something, and his father and I will yell in unison, "Just say NO to crack!" Never fails to elicit an eye roll and sigh from the kid.

yeah Opera, don't forget you color coordinated earplugs.

I love opera. Weirdly enough, my daughter - who seems determined to grow up into White Trash Barbie right now - also loves opera. It gives me some hope that she'll outgrow this phase.

I never realized just how hard it is to get people to admit there's a well-mannered, appropriate way to do things.

Here's the scenario: my friend, Blair, invited me to attend a symphony performance that's coming up. Naturally, as a female, my first thought is, "What am I going to wear?" While I have a very general idea of what is traditionally appropriate attire, I also know that it's likely a bit out of date, and also that this is Tucson, where dress standards are often a bit relaxed due to the climate.

I want to tell you, it's damned near impossible to get anyone to admit that there's even a generalized standard to the way people dress for such an event. The symphony's official position is "We don't care, as long as your butt's in a seat". Which attitude I can understand, since it's not like they're printing their own money on ticket sales.

Nevertheless, this is important to me, because I want to look nice without feeling either overdressed or underdressed. Any suggestions from you other ladies out there? Or cross-dressing men, if we have any? I think I must be the only woman in North America who doesn't actually own the ubiquitous "little black dress".

I would do a black pant suit ( silk if possible ) with an ivory silk blouse with French cuffs, and a great belt with a gold buckle...medium to large buckle. Long silk scarf, tied loosley and hanging low. Gold earrings, bangled jewelry and makeup with red lipstick. Black suede pumps. Carrying or wearing a light weight wool or silk jacket. Or instead of pants, a short skirt that falls just above or below the knee. ( never in the middle of the knee...makes calves look large ) Get your attitude going and pull it off. :)

I never realized just how hard it is to get people to admit there's a well-mannered, appropriate way to do things.

Here's the scenario: my friend, Blair, invited me to attend a symphony performance that's coming up. Naturally, as a female, my first thought is, "What am I going to wear?" While I have a very general idea of what is traditionally appropriate attire, I also know that it's likely a bit out of date, and also that this is Tucson, where dress standards are often a bit relaxed due to the climate.

I want to tell you, it's damned near impossible to get anyone to admit that there's even a generalized standard to the way people dress for such an event. The symphony's official position is "We don't care, as long as your butt's in a seat". Which attitude I can understand, since it's not like they're printing their own money on ticket sales.

Nevertheless, this is important to me, because I want to look nice without feeling either overdressed or underdressed. Any suggestions from you other ladies out there? Or cross-dressing men, if we have any? I think I must be the only woman in North America who doesn't actually own the ubiquitous "little black dress".

Have you asked Chris?

I would do a black pant suit ( silk if possible ) with an ivory silk blouse with French cuffs, and a great belt with a gold buckle...medium to large buckle. Long silk scarf, tied loosley and hanging low. Gold earrings, bangled jewelry and makeup with red lipstick. Black suede pumps. Carrying or wearing a light weight wool or silk jacket. Or instead of pants, a short skirt that falls just above or below the knee. ( never in the middle of the knee...makes calves look large ) Get your attitude going and pull it off. :)

Not bad. I can see that, as well as a lot of other uses for that outfit and its components.

Have you asked Chris?

When I said, "Cross-dressing men", I meant the ones who do it with style. ;)

I'm planning to make myself something, since I haven't had occasion to go anywhere that required more than nice church clothes for a while.

Normally, I wouldn't stress, since attitude makes up for a lot, but I know it's really important to Blair that I'm the only woman he knows who can fill the role of "old-fashioned, proper lady" in his life, so I want to do it right for his sake, y'know?

Being poor sucks. You wind up so out of touch with fashions after a while.

Nice church clothes are probably fine. That's the most dressed up a lot of people get these days.

"Dressed up" in some parts of the Southwest means no holes in the jeans and you clean most of the manure off your boots.

But for the symphony in Albuquerque, dress is usually a nice skirt, dress blouse, maybe an appropriate decorator scarf, appropriate jewery, heels or dressy flats. And a tailored pant suit, dressy blouse with heels or dressy flats and enough jewerly to dress it up is also appropriate. Such attire is usually not obviously overdressed if most dress more casually, or serously underdressed if some dress up in more formal attire.

I would just go with black pants, and nice fun top.

New Topics

Forum List

Back