Fashion and Etiquette

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I never realized just how hard it is to get people to admit there's a well-mannered, appropriate way to do things.

Here's the scenario: my friend, Blair, invited me to attend a symphony performance that's coming up. Naturally, as a female, my first thought is, "What am I going to wear?" While I have a very general idea of what is traditionally appropriate attire, I also know that it's likely a bit out of date, and also that this is Tucson, where dress standards are often a bit relaxed due to the climate.

I want to tell you, it's damned near impossible to get anyone to admit that there's even a generalized standard to the way people dress for such an event. The symphony's official position is "We don't care, as long as your butt's in a seat". Which attitude I can understand, since it's not like they're printing their own money on ticket sales.

Nevertheless, this is important to me, because I want to look nice without feeling either overdressed or underdressed. Any suggestions from you other ladies out there? Or cross-dressing men, if we have any? I think I must be the only woman in North America who doesn't actually own the ubiquitous "little black dress".

I think the little black dress is about the safest bet. If you don't have that, try a little blue, or red dress.

Otherwise, dress slacks, dress shoes, ruffly shirt with a tailored jacket.

But what do I know..... The closest I've been to a symphony in the last 10 years are school programs. I usually wear jeans to those.

Without knowing what's available in your wardrobe, it's difficult to provide specific advice.

I go to the SF Symphony on a fairly recurring basis. Matinee performance are a bit more casual (I've even see people wearing jeans...eek!).

For evening performance, folks make more of an effort. A nice pants suit, tailored slack with a frilly blouse and jacket, sweater separates, skirt with blouse and shawl, cocktail dress...all are appropriate. The important thing is how you feel - if you like the way you look and are comfortable, you'll have a more enjoyable time.

☭proletarian☭;2100767 said:
Top Hat Formal Wear - Google Maps

When in doubt, throw on a black evening gown, put your hair in a bun, and take it easy with the makeup

Only problem being that I really don't own a black evening dress. :)

I think, this being Tucson and us having cheap seats, a very simple mid-calf length dress in a quality fabric would probably work. As I recall, the closer you are to the orchestra, the nicer you're supposed to dress. Somewhere between church and prom, I think.

Definitely Not Prom! The formal stuff is only for the society-charity-opening night stuff.

Without knowing what's available in your wardrobe, it's difficult to provide specific advice.

I go to the SF Symphony on a fairly recurring basis. Matinee performance are a bit more casual (I've even see people wearing jeans...eek!).

For evening performance, folks make more of an effort. A nice pants suit, tailored slack with a frilly blouse and jacket, sweater separates, skirt with blouse and shawl, cocktail dress...all are appropriate. The important thing is how you feel - if you like the way you look and are comfortable, you'll have a more enjoyable time.

I'm planning to make myself something, since I haven't had occasion to go anywhere that required more than nice church clothes for a while.

Normally, I wouldn't stress, since attitude makes up for a lot, but I know it's really important to Blair that I'm the only woman he knows who can fill the role of "old-fashioned, proper lady" in his life, so I want to do it right for his sake, y'know?

Being poor sucks. You wind up so out of touch with fashions after a while.

I'm planning to make myself something, since I haven't had occasion to go anywhere that required more than nice church clothes for a while.

Normally, I wouldn't stress, since attitude makes up for a lot, but I know it's really important to Blair that I'm the only woman he knows who can fill the role of "old-fashioned, proper lady" in his life, so I want to do it right for his sake, y'know?

Being poor sucks. You wind up so out of touch with fashions after a while.

Nice church clothes are probably fine. That's the most dressed up a lot of people get these days.

between church and prom?

30046_1_468.jpg

gothic-prom-dresses-5.jpg

so something like

custom%20made%20dress%20by%20Blissful%20brides.jpg

Definitely Not Prom! The formal stuff is only for the society-charity-opening night stuff.

Oh, I know. And the symphony, opera, ballet, etc. should never be that . . . fluffy, anyway.

They way you act is far more important than your dress.

A lady is still a lady if wearing a flannel shirt and jeans.

however, if she's wearing a flannel shirt and jeans she may have some horse shit on her person.

Speaking for myself, of course.

My wife and I go out to dinner theaters, plays and concerts fairly often. We always dress well when we go to these things. Not overboard but what we think is appropriate. I will usually wear slacks, sport coat and a tie. The wife will wear a dress of some sorts. It never fails. We are always over dressed. Nobody seems to dress up anymore. Not for weddings. Not for funerals. Nothing. It's a shame. People for the most part dress like slobs these days.

Oh, I know. And the symphony, opera, ballet, etc. should never be that . . . fluffy, anyway.

They way you act is far more important than your dress.

A lady is still a lady if wearing a flannel shirt and jeans.

however, if she's wearing a flannel shirt and jeans she may have some horse shit on her person.

Speaking for myself, of course.

Still a lady even with the horse poop.
But it is nice to wear clean clothes to an event.

Last edited:
Lol.
Well keep dressing up, you're setting a good example.

Plus it's fun.

I feel the same about school and school functions. I know we are in a tiny, very poor school district...and I know one of the perks of attending a really small school is not having to worry about what you're wearing...we have no cliques. We aren't big enough to have cliques.

But even so, I'm appalled that people will send their kids to school dirty, unbrushed, in wildly inappropriate or ill-fitting clothes....and the same for the school functions.

I bought my kids school uniforms..because I'm not rich, either...and cheap clothes wear out quickly. School uniforms are cheap but they look smart, they wash up well, and they're durable (after all, they're 100 percent polyester!)

My girl always has a couple of dressy dresses for church, and my boy always has vests, slacks, and long-sleeved dress shirts.

And I tell them when they complain, which sometimes they do (though less and less) that their job is to go to school, and you always want to dress appropriately for work...and school.

Lol.
Well keep dressing up, you're setting a good example.

Plus it's fun.

I feel the same about school and school functions. I know we are in a tiny, very poor school district...and I know one of the perks of attending a really small school is not having to worry about what you're wearing...we have no cliques. We aren't big enough to have cliques.

But even so, I'm appalled that people will send their kids to school dirty, unbrushed, in wildly inappropriate or ill-fitting clothes....and the same for the school functions.

I bought my kids school uniforms..because I'm not rich, either...and cheap clothes wear out quickly. School uniforms are cheap but they look smart, they wash up well, and they're durable (after all, they're 100 percent polyester!)

My girl always has a couple of dressy dresses for church, and my boy always has vests, slacks, and long-sleeved dress shirts.

And I tell them when they complain, which sometimes they do (though less and less) that their job is to go to school, and you always want to dress appropriately for work...and school.

And don't even get me started on the kids whose pants top is almost below their ass cheeks.

I am a firm believer in school uniforms. It relieves a lot of peer pressure on the kids, esp the poor ones.

Now let us pray

Sister Cecile
GothNun.jpg

Will you lead us in prayer?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1U8E0F-F4"]YouTube - Hail the Bomb![/ame]

And now the orchestra shall provide entertainment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDcWvZCSRg"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back