Fashion and Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cecilie1200, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I never realized just how hard it is to get people to admit there's a well-mannered, appropriate way to do things.

Here's the scenario: my friend, Blair, invited me to attend a symphony performance that's coming up. Naturally, as a female, my first thought is, "What am I going to wear?" While I have a very general idea of what is traditionally appropriate attire, I also know that it's likely a bit out of date, and also that this is Tucson, where dress standards are often a bit relaxed due to the climate.

I want to tell you, it's damned near impossible to get anyone to admit that there's even a generalized standard to the way people dress for such an event. The symphony's official position is "We don't care, as long as your butt's in a seat". Which attitude I can understand, since it's not like they're printing their own money on ticket sales.

Nevertheless, this is important to me, because I want to look nice without feeling either overdressed or underdressed. Any suggestions from you other ladies out there? Or cross-dressing men, if we have any? I think I must be the only woman in North America who doesn't actually own the ubiquitous "little black dress".

2. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I think the little black dress is about the safest bet. If you don't have that, try a little blue, or red dress.

Otherwise, dress slacks, dress shoes, ruffly shirt with a tailored jacket.

But what do I know..... The closest I've been to a symphony in the last 10 years are school programs. I usually wear jeans to those.

4. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    What the hell?
    I buy herself LBDs every few months.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,858
    Without knowing what's available in your wardrobe, it's difficult to provide specific advice.

I go to the SF Symphony on a fairly recurring basis. Matinee performance are a bit more casual (I've even see people wearing jeans...eek!).

For evening performance, folks make more of an effort. A nice pants suit, tailored slack with a frilly blouse and jacket, sweater separates, skirt with blouse and shawl, cocktail dress...all are appropriate. The important thing is how you feel - if you like the way you look and are comfortable, you'll have a more enjoyable time.

6. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Only problem being that I really don't own a black evening dress. :)

I think, this being Tucson and us having cheap seats, a very simple mid-calf length dress in a quality fabric would probably work. As I recall, the closer you are to the orchestra, the nicer you're supposed to dress. Somewhere between church and prom, I think.

7. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,858
    Definitely Not Prom! The formal stuff is only for the society-charity-opening night stuff.

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I'm planning to make myself something, since I haven't had occasion to go anywhere that required more than nice church clothes for a while.

Normally, I wouldn't stress, since attitude makes up for a lot, but I know it's really important to Blair that I'm the only woman he knows who can fill the role of "old-fashioned, proper lady" in his life, so I want to do it right for his sake, y'know?

Being poor sucks. You wind up so out of touch with fashions after a while.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Decent business/sunday dress should be fine.

10. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Oh, I know. And the symphony, opera, ballet, etc. should never be that . . . fluffy, anyway.