Farmer on NPR said he couldn't find an American who would pick fruit...

I know guys that paint for 45 bucks per hour....and they are booked year round...fruit pickers making 10 bucks per hour is too much? Go away.

Wait a second. You think without a minimum wage, workers will get paid more?

Well that's one of the most stupid things I ever, ever heard by a right winger at the USMB. Ever.

It should be since you said it and I never did. I love how you liberals hear one thing and dream up another.

More pay always equals more productivity. Less pay always equals less. There are some wacko freak not my fellow Americans who believe one should be productive no matter the wage...they hate America.

Apple pickers- most farm workers- are paid by what they pick- more bins, more money.

Now if a farmer has to pay more to workers to harvest the crop then he will be able to break even with- then the farmer can either
a) choose to lose money or
b) leave the crop to rot- and lose less money.

I walked out on 2 different jobs no notice in my younger days....2 of the greatest days of my life....unfortunately times have changed and the majority of employers are sketchy at best.

The pay is crap, the working conditions are crap but more than anything else, its just plain hard work.

That's why American's won't do it.

Thanks to RWNJs, family farms are going under. But, have no fear because pino trump's 1% buddies are right there, ready to buy them out for pennies on the dollar.

Yes, I'm sure of it.

Americans will do any job for the proper compensation. Up north in these ungodly winters, I see linemen out in -0 degree weather during snow storms with winds 30mph on polls restoring electric power. I see the same in such weather repairing water lines.

The supply and demand system is the most perfect when it comes to employment. If you can't find workers,you need to increase your offers. If you find many workers, you are probably paying too much.

The system works good until you throw a monkey wrench into it like unions or immigrants. Then it F's up everything.
electrical work in Massachusetts charge $100 bucks an hour for the customer....those guys on polls in frigid weather get a pretty penny in the north, and THAT'S why they do it....

Plumbing work is also $100 an hour there, and this was 10 years ago....

Picking fruit is a much much harder job in the physical sense! the workers will have back problems and arthritis and many other painful ailments when they get older and if the Farmer does not contribute towards their health insurance, that's another expense that a $12.50 an hour job worker can not pay on that kind of money....

We who live here will get hit with higher prices on our food....shoot, $15 an hour with no benefits is not enough for any American to take this hard labor job....

Besides, THEY DON'T LIVE near the middle of nowhere farm land, the ones unemployed live near metropolitan area for the most part...you gotta pay an American a lot more money to be able to move themselves to a new area, find a home to rent, a car to drive, insurance etc....

I don't think $20 an hour with no benefits, is even enough....

And who in the world when they are young and strong, will want to live in the middle of farm land in the middle of nowhere? who would waste their youth picking veggies and fruit, when this would be the time to find a career path and the learning period of their future?

WHY don't the farmers apply for the visa for Migrant workers?

Liberal: We need to raise minimum wage to $15.00 an hour.
Conservative: that will increase the cost of our products and services.
Liberal: You won't notice the fifteen cent increase in your big-mac combo!

Conservative: We need to remove illegals and allow Americans to do those jobs.
Liberal: Do you know how much more you will pay for fruits and Veggies if we did that??

I don't know what boat you think I came in on, but anybody that would pay an electrician or plumber $100.00 an hour is a complete idiot, even where the Massholes live.

I was born into a construction family. When I was a child, my father paid me one dollar an hour to help him do side jobs. I carried clamps of bricks to the job site, mixed cement by hand, climbed up scaffolding two and three stories high with material my father needed, carried 8" and 12" block to the job site. And the end of the night, I would come home full of sand and cement in my clothing and hair. I would try to collapse on the bed for ten minutes (hoping my mother wouldn't see me) before I hit the showers and went to bed.

Trust me, as child, I wish I could have had a job picking strawberries. It sure as hell would have been a lot easier than being a bricklayer's laborer. My father was no easy boss to work for.

Of course when I was younger, social programs didn't pay very much. If you didn't get a job or attend college, parents back then kicked you out of the house at the age of 18. It was either work or starve.

But today, people live with their parents well into their 30's and beyond. Social programs pay almost as much as having a full-time job when you consider you don't pay taxes on benefits. Having two jobs to make ends meet? Forget about it. However when I was younger, me and most of my friends always had two jobs, or jobs that worked six to seven days a week.

But the solution to our problems is bringing in immigrants to do the jobs Americans won't do.

For those who wonder what the OP is talking about- here is the link to the article- and yes- Blackrook lied in his OP.

'They're Scared': Immigration Fears Exacerbate Migrant Farmworker Shortage

The pickers range in age from 21 to 65, and all of them are Mexican. As in the rest of the U.S., growers in heavily agricultural northern Michigan rely overwhelmingly on migrant laborers to work the fields and orchards.

According to the farm owners, the workers either came from Mexico on temporary H2A visas or they have paperwork showing they are in the U.S. legally.

Johnson Farms' owner, Dean Johnson, 67, says it's just about impossible to find Americans to do this work. "We've tried. We really have," he says. "Sometimes people come out on a day like today and they'll pick one box, and then they're gone. They just don't want to do it."

"It's really sad," adds Johnson's daughter, Heatherlyn Johnson Reamer, 44, who manages the farm. "They'll come, they'll check it out, and usually they're gone within a day or two."

The pay is crap, the working conditions are crap but more than anything else, its just plain hard work.

Thanks to RWNJs, family farms are going under. But, have no fear because pino trump's 1% buddies are right there, ready to buy them out for pennies on the dollar.

Yes, I'm sure of it.

Americans will do any job for the proper compensation. Up north in these ungodly winters, I see linemen out in -0 degree weather during snow storms with winds 30mph on polls restoring electric power. I see the same in such weather repairing water lines.

The supply and demand system is the most perfect when it comes to employment. If you can't find workers,you need to increase your offers. If you find many workers, you are probably paying too much.

The system works good until you throw a monkey wrench into it like unions or immigrants. Then it F's up everything.
electrical work in Massachusetts charge $100 bucks an hour for the customer....those guys on polls in frigid weather get a pretty penny in the north, and THAT'S why they do it....

Picking fruit is a much much harder job in the physical sense! the workers will have back problems and arthritis and many other painful ailments when they get older and if the Farmer does not contribute towards their health insurance, that's another expense that a $12.50 an hour job worker can not pay on that kind of money....

We who live here will get hit with higher prices on our food....shoot, $15 an hour with no benefits is not enough for any American to take this hard labor job....

Besides, THEY DON'T LIVE near the middle of nowhere farm land, the ones unemployed live near metropolitan area for the most part...you gotta pay an American a lot more money to be able to move themselves to a new area, find a home to rent, a car to drive, insurance etc....

And who in the world when they are young and strong, will want to live in the middle of farm land in the middle of nowhere? who would waste their youth picking veggies and fruit, when this would be the time to find a career path and the learning period of their future?

Liberal: Do you know how much more you will pay for fruits and Veggies if we did that??.

Conservative farmer and Trump voter: American's won't do those jobs.

Removing illegals will not magically create a labor pool for farmers all across the United States who can't find enough labor now- legal or illegal.

But I do get it- Conservatives think that allowing enough small farmers to be drivenout of business for lack of labor will improve the economy.

For those who wonder what the OP is talking about- here is the link to the article- and yes- Blackrook lied in his OP.

The pickers range in age from 21 to 65, and all of them are Mexican. As in the rest of the U.S., growers in heavily agricultural northern Michigan rely overwhelmingly on migrant laborers to work the fields and orchards.

According to the farm owners, the workers either came from Mexico on temporary H2A visas or they have paperwork showing they are in the U.S. legally.

Johnson Farms' owner, Dean Johnson, 67, says it's just about impossible to find Americans to do this work. "We've tried. We really have," he says. "Sometimes people come out on a day like today and they'll pick one box, and then they're gone. They just don't want to do it."

"It's really sad," adds Johnson's daughter, Heatherlyn Johnson Reamer, 44, who manages the farm. "They'll come, they'll check it out, and usually they're gone within a day or two."
It is not an article he is talking about, moron.

It is an unsourced NPR sound byte.

Don't you ever get tired of me showing what an idiot you are?

From the OP:

Farmer on NPR said he couldn't find an American who would pick fruit..

..he said an American tried it and gave up after one box.

So, the farmer wants us to let in illegal aliens so he doesn't have to pay a living wage for an American.

From the article that I also listened to- and went to NPR and sourced:

Blackrook lied to you- and you are gullible enough to swallow his lie, hook, line and sinker.

Yes, I'm sure of it.

Liberal: Do you know how much more you will pay for fruits and Veggies if we did that??.

Removing illegals will not magically create a labor pool for farmers all across the United States who can't find enough labor now- legal or illegal.

But I do get it- Conservatives think that allowing enough small farmers to be drivenout of business for lack of labor will improve the economy.

So what is your clam here, that if we don't have illegals and immigrants, we will quit growing food?

Ray what business is it od yours to judge 30 year old people living with their parents as long as they don't collect govt handouts? They don't get married and don't have kids which helps this nation in your eyes.

Let the farmers harvest it themselves if Americans won't pick crops... that's a win win.

...he said an American tried it and gave up after one box.

Question.

How much does this farmer pay a fruit picker to pick one box of fruit?

Obviously, just enough to entice an illegal alien, but not enough to entice an American who has other employment options.

Solution.

Pay your workers more, enough so someone can actually live off what you are paying him, maybe enough for groceries, rent, utilties, with a little extra left to go to the movies on Saturday.

Illegal aliens don't need that. They live 12 to an apartment, eat rice and beans, and send the rest of their money to their families in Mexico or Central America.

So, the farmer wants us to let in illegal aliens so he doesn't have to pay a living wage for an American.

So, why are the Democrats AGAINST a living wage for American workers?

This is why Trump won the election, because American workers realized the Democrats have abandoned them.
Migrant Labor has been a fact of life since the 1800s but there is a legal and illegal way of doing it -

Yes, I'm sure of it.

So what is your clam here, that if we don't have illegals and immigrants, we will quit growing food?

Farmers will stop growing the food that requires workers to pick it. Not that complicated- if the farmers can't find someway to automate the picking- which does work for some crops- they will be driven out of business- or find another profitable crop for their area- which is not always a possibility- they will be driven out of business.

Grain farming will continue of course- largely automated now- a few hard working people can handle hundreds of acres- but not fruit, not produce.

That will be driven out of the country- already much of it has- that garlic you buy probably comes from China. Napa will be okay- because they already pay a premium for legal migrant workers so they can get enough workers for their crops- but lettuce growers? Lot more lettuce will be coming from Mexico and Central America.

From the OP:

Blackrook lied to you- and you are gullible enough to swallow his lie, hook, line and sinker.
The NPR radio sound byte was not sourced, moron.
Do you ever get tired of arguing with people who actually know things?

Blackrook heard the sound byte on the RADIO(as I did because I have been on the road for the past few days)and assessed that sound byte.

Blackrook paraphrased what the clip said accurately.

From the OP:

The NPR radio sound byte was not sourced, moron.
Do you ever get tired of arguing with people who actually know things?

Blackrook heard the sound byte on the RADIO(as I did because I have been on the road for the past few days)and assessed that sound byte.

Blackrook paraphrased what the clip said accurately.

Blackrook didn't source the NPR article because he is a) an idiot and b) because he lied about what it said.

Because I am not an idiot like you and Blackrook- and because I heard the same radio article- I easily went to NPR and provided the actual citation- and the actual article.

And proved Blackrook lied when he claimed the farmer was saying he needed illegal labor and was encouraging illegal labor.

The farmer- a Trump voter- of course said no such thing.

But to you- that is 'paraphrasing'

To everyone else- that is lying.

...he said an American tried it and gave up after one box.

Question.

How much does this farmer pay a fruit picker to pick one box of fruit?

Obviously, just enough to entice an illegal alien, but not enough to entice an American who has other employment options.

Solution.

Pay your workers more, enough so someone can actually live off what you are paying him, maybe enough for groceries, rent, utilties, with a little extra left to go to the movies on Saturday.

Illegal aliens don't need that. They live 12 to an apartment, eat rice and beans, and send the rest of their money to their families in Mexico or Central America.

So, why are the Democrats AGAINST a living wage for American workers?

This is why Trump won the election, because American workers realized the Democrats have abandoned them.

Why do they have to be illegal? Why can't they come in legally, stay in employer provided barracks type housing, and go home off season?

I don't care if we let MORE people in if they're vetted and are working, tracked, abide by the law and aren't voting for commies.

Amend the 14th to stop the anchor baby liability and many would agree with you.

Forum List

Back