Farm Animals Get 80 Percent of Antibiotics Sold in U.S.

Here's another fun fact re the OP. I can buy a tetanus toxoid injection for any of my critters for around $15. But not too long ago a friend stepped on a rusty nail in a horse pasture. It had been over a decade since her last tetanus shot. So she went into the ER (of course it happened on a Friday evening) to make sure and they told her that she had a choice of risking coming down with tetanus because there was a 48 hour window of time to get the shot. So if she waited until Monday when her clinic could give her one for around $80, she might have come down with tetanus (and perhaps died), or she could get a shot there at the ER clinic. So she opted to live.

Long story short she was charged $1,600 +/- for being made to sit in the ER for about four hours waiting, all to be let into a room where a PA came in and injected her with what my animals get for $15. The outrageous charge for the same crap they put in my livestock's $15 shot sent her credit into peril. She was one of the 100s of millions of working poor.

People are going to really be shaking their heads when or if there are only a few powerful antibiotics left that are effective.

Doctors are quick to withhold antibiotics for people with just a cold, but nobody seems to care that the precious gift of antibiotics is being squandered on cattle.

Thank goodness I rarely eat meat.

Forum List

Back