Fark. :(

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Not News: Three police officers become stranded in a crazy hail storm. News: A nice school bus driver spots the cops and allows them to take cover inside the bus. Fark: Bus driver gets fired for "picking up 3 unauthorized passengers" <--- Fark's title

Long Island Bus Driver Fired After Rescuing 3 Nassau County Police Officers During Storm « CBS New York

“Do I leave these three police officers, due to company policy?” Daw said. “I didn’t even second guess it. I told the child to jump in the back, these people are coming on board. I had to get them.”

Daw rescued and transported the police officers — their unmarked patrol car was a total loss. He said he continued to home base in Copiague, where he filled out an incident report. But instead of praise, he was handed a notice of termination, which said in part: “Employee endangered welfare of student he was transporting when he picked up three unauthorized passengers.”

It also said: “Employee made decision to drive through large body of water.”

:confused:

You can thank government regulations for this.

A local bus driver in Bethlehem PA, saw a wheelchair bound person, that she knew wanted on the bus, about 40' from the bus stop, so she stopped anyway, even though she shouldn't have, and the car behind the bus hit it.

The car driver sued the bus company and won. So now you must be within 5' of the bus stop or they will drive past you no matter what.

• Banned
OMG, Two Thumbs; that's horrible.

What bullshit is going on these days.

I hope the press attention gets the gentleman his job back (or an offer of another).

• Banned
Rehired FTW!

NY bus driver, fired for aiding police, is rehired - WSJ.com

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. — A New York school bus driver, fired for picking up three stranded detectives during a hailstorm last week, has gotten his job back.

The Educational Bus Transportation company on Long Island said Friday that it decided to rehire George Daw following a meeting with union officials.

He's also mulling over other offers which arose due to the publicity.

Forum List

Back