Farewell, Loud and Annoying TV Ads: The CALM Act Becomes the Law of the Land

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Josh SanburnDec. 13, 20125 Follow @TIMEBusiness TV Ad Volume Turned Down by FCC | TIME.com

Just when you thought Congress was utterly useless, here comes one of the great bipartisan legislative victories of our time: They turned down the volume on commercials.

Since the 1960s, the Federal Communications Commission has been hearing complaints from television viewers that ads are too loud – way too loud. And the only way to fix this aural injustice, apparently, was an act of Congress. And why not? They don’t seem to be doing much else.

I wish they'd passed it BEFORE we were deluged with all those disgusting political ads.

:cool:

I've wondered with all the technology today's TVs have why some sort of volume regulator isn't built it that would lower the volume if a loud commercial came on and then return it to the level the viewer had it at for listening to the programming.

I've wondered with all the technology today's TVs have why some sort of volume regulator isn't built it that would lower the volume if a loud commercial came on and then return it to the level the viewer had it at for listening to the programming.

Won't happen as that would mean we wouldn't need government to regulate it! m:confused:

Can anyone get Al Sharpton to do his MSNBC show in a normal speaking voice.
That would be cool...

Impossible I'm afraid. Sharpton launches every sentence like a North Korean missile and intones as if he's addressing the only person left in the back of the room, who has already turned to walk out the door. I can't believe anyone gave him a TV job, let alone a recurring one. His mic should be locked on permanent "mute" and a voice track subbed in by volunteer comedians peppered with barnyard body noises.

I guess in this case the new law will allow commercials to come up to Al's level.

Forum List

Back