Fantastic Four

re read it.
I didn't say a "historic figure"..I said a role that was 'historically" played by a white actor.

Only one other actor has played this character (the Human Torch) in an officially released movie. So it's not like "historical" means "that other guy".
fantastic four "existed" for decades before anyone thought of making a movie....and none of them were "black".

How about this; a movie about MLK but he's played by a white man?

Maybe a movie about obama with a white man and woman playing him and michelle?

I disagree.
Who said so?.... and what is the purpose of displacing whites in those roles? "Diversity"?.."empowerment"? "inclusiveness"?
more social marxism.

Mostly, it's more to do with putting asses into seats. And frankly, some people will only put their ass in a seat if the person on the screen is someone they can identify with.

Case in point. the actor playing the Torch in this film has been in a lot of very popular movies. He's a big box office draw and the calculation was that a certain percentage of the audience would come just to see him, even if they didn't give a flip about the Fantastic Four.

so if I said it was wrong to replace a white actor in a role that was historically a white person, I'm a "racist"...but if you say it was wrong it's because you have such refined tastes and are a film connoisseur..

How about a movie about the u.s. where all major roles are played by negroes? washington, jefferson, adams, hancock, etc..That would be believeable, right?
comical.

We aren't talking about a historical character, we are talking about fictional character who can light himself on fire.
re read it.
I didn't say a "historic figure"..I said a role that was 'historically" played by a white actor.
and that has a dam history.....as far as i am concerned if they cant take a subject matter,in this case a comic book, that has a history and do it the way it was then dont do it at all......if they tell you before hand that they are doing a what if? or a comedy version....that may be different story.....

and who had been a blonde white guy for 50 years....there are now plenty of black super heroes Joe,there was no need to make the torch black,just to try and appease a segment of the population,which is what they were trying to do....on this new Supergirl TV show Jimmy Olson is now a black guy,whats the point if not trying to be PC?.......

by that logic, we should write the characters EXACTLY the same way they were written 50 years ago, then?

I don't think they were trying to appease anyone except maybe the terms ofa contract they had with this actor to put him in so many major movies.

not one white actor in hollywood was good enough or available so they were just forced to use a black person?
c'mon, man...don't pretend you don't see the cultural marxism in recasting tradtional white roles with black actors...it isn't by chance...

again I point out one of the writers name is "Kinberg"....maybe he has an agenda?...

Last edited:
Hollywood spends its' money on special effects, not writers. A sad commentary of today's culture.

Did you hear the one about the Polish Starlet? She was so dumb she slept with the writer!

what? are you a misogynist?...you hate polish people? Are you saying polish people are dumb?..or women are dumb?...or polish females are dumb?

I'm kidding but you see the point, I'm sure...

and who had been a blonde white guy for 50 years....there are now plenty of black super heroes Joe,there was no need to make the torch black,just to try and appease a segment of the population,which is what they were trying to do....on this new Supergirl TV show Jimmy Olson is now a black guy,whats the point if not trying to be PC?.......

by that logic, we should write the characters EXACTLY the same way they were written 50 years ago, then?

I don't think they were trying to appease anyone except maybe the terms ofa contract they had with this actor to put him in so many major movies.
the comic has a history Joe,like i said there are plenty of black super heroes now,no need to change the race of one to try and look like they are trying to be inclusive,if there were no black ones i can understand the why of it,but you cant say that anymore....but im a comic purest,if you dont do it right,then dont do it.....
I don't think they were trying to appease anyone except maybe the terms ofa contract they had with this actor to put him in so many major movies
come on Joe, so they dont have other vehicles to put the guy in?....

fantastic four "existed" for decades before anyone thought of making a movie....and none of them were "black".

How about this; a movie about MLK but he's played by a white man?

Maybe a movie about obama with a white man and woman playing him and michelle?

Actually, they've already had a white actor playing Obama on SNL.

not one white actor in hollywood was good enough or available so they were just forced to use a black person?
c'mon, man...don't pretend you don't see the cultural marxism in recasting tradtional white roles with black actors...it isn't by chance...

again I point out one of the writers name is "Kinberg"....maybe he has an agenda?...

I'm sure they were forced by the studio for ECONOMIC reasons of wanting to attract a wider audience.

This movie was made for all the wrong reasons. It was made not because there was a clamoring for this film, but so Fox could hold on to the rights. The same reason why Sony is going to reboot Spider-Man again. (Stop Killing Uncle Ben, Dammit! Just stop!)

what? are you a misogynist?...you hate polish people? Are you saying polish people are dumb?..or women are dumb?...or polish females are dumb?

I'm kidding but you see the point, I'm sure...

That you don't have a sense of humor.

Do you know how many Polish Jokes there are? Just two. The rest are true stories.

the comic has a history Joe,like i said there are plenty of black super heroes now,no need to change the race of one to try and look like they are trying to be inclusive,if there were no black ones i can understand the why of it,but you cant say that anymore....but im a comic purest,if you dont do it right,then dont do it.....
I don't think they were trying to appease anyone except maybe the terms ofa contract they had with this actor to put him in so many major movies

Here's what I think the problem is, and it doesn't apply to just Comic book movies but Star Trek and a lot of other Sci-Fi.

There are alot of people who see comic book movies who aren't comic book nerds. they've never read an issueof the Fantastic Four comic. If they know these characters at all, it's from movies or cartoons. (Remember that one from the 1970's that replaced the Human Torch with a robot named "Robbie". )

Frankly, I have a lot more problems with the X-Men movies than this one. I think they bastardized those characters and took really good stories and flubbed them. (Especially the Dark Phoenix Saga.)

one of the guys who wrote the screenplay's last name is "Kinberg"
interesting..a member of the tribe pushing his anti white ideology...

Without Rotagilla's blatant racism... making the Human Torch black was retarded.

I think on a list of this films sins, that is still pretty far down on the list.

I actually didn't have a problem with the actor they chose. They gave him some legitimately funny lines, and he had more personality than either Sue or Reed.

Honestly, I think the deeper problem with the entire film's entire concept was that it simply felt the need to mess with things that didn't need to be messed with. It wound up overcomplicating the story and straining its own believability in the process.

In that regard, I actually had a MUCH bigger problem with how they handled Reed Richard's character. The whole "boy genius" thing just felt like a bad, overly-cliche joke.

I came to watch the Fantastic Four, not freaking Dexter's Laboratory. Lol

Here's what I think the problem is, and it doesn't apply to just Comic book movies but Star Trek and a lot of other Sci-Fi.

There are alot of people who see comic book movies who aren't comic book nerds. they've never read an issueof the Fantastic Four comic. If they know these characters at all, it's from movies or cartoons. (Remember that one from the 1970's that replaced the Human Torch with a robot named "Robbie". )

Frankly, I have a lot more problems with the X-Men movies than this one. I think they bastardized those characters and took really good stories and flubbed them. (Especially the Dark Phoenix Saga.)
bottom line the movie is considered a box office bomb...

one of the guys who wrote the screenplay's last name is "Kinberg"
interesting..a member of the tribe pushing his anti white ideology...

Without Rotagilla's blatant racism... making the Human Torch black was retarded.

I think on a list of this films sins, that is still pretty far down on the list.

I actually didn't have a problem with the actor they chose. They gave him some legitimately funny lines, and he had more personality than either Sue or Reed.

Honestly, I think the deeper problem with the entire film's entire concept was that it simply felt the need to mess with things that didn't need to be messed with. It wound up overcomplicating the story and straining its own believability in the process.

In that regard, I actually had a MUCH bigger problem with how they handled Reed Richard's character. The whole "boy genius" thing just felt like a bad, overly-cliche joke.

I came to watch the Fantastic Four, not freaking Dexter's Laboratory. Lol

I mostly agree with you, but really, I think the problem wasn't over-complication but the opposite, over-simplification. So much of the characters remained unexplored and the plot was so vague and ill-defined at times that it felt as though the movie should have been an hour longer. It needed more background, more depth, more exploration of the personalities and motivations of the characters. Dr. Doom was almost entirely unknown, as was the power behind the transformation of the heroes and Doom. Richards running away and basically hiding for, what was it, a year? Grimm's hatred of Richards suddenly disappearing? Susan not even going on the trip yet also getting powers? There were so many things left unexplained the movie felt incredibly empty.

Having Johnny Storm as a black guy might be jarring for a fan of the comics, but really, not that big a deal. Having Susan be adopted doesn't hurt the overall story of the FF. It's not a necessary thing either way. Particularly in this movie, where the characters are so poorly developed, it was unimportant. Had he been the white, biological brother of Susan it would not have helped at all.

I thought the movie was not as bad as the reviews it has gotten indicated. This wasn't painful to watch so much as an amazing waste of time. It wasn't bad, it was hollow.

Forum List

Back