Fanfuckingtastic dip

Actually, now that I think of it, neither steaming nor boiling is cruel at all. Neuro studies of blue crab indicate that they do not have pain sensing neurons for heat (don't have the study, but a pal of mine participated in it).

No guilt. Whew.

I could care less about cruelty addressed to water spiders. Think of the way they eat. It doesn't even have to be dead. They just gnaw away.

I hate to take a topic about delicious dip and turn it into the usual USMB BS but... I believe it is important for animals, even 1's we will eat, to not suffer. I don't think not caring about their suffering is a good idea. I think we should end the life of animals we will consume as humanely as possible. It doesn't matter how they operate, we are not them and they are not us. I think if we are to consider ourselves the superior form of life we should consider how we end theirs. Being mindful of others suffering, even if they are only animals, is what makes us a higher form of life.

Happy cruelty-free Thanksgiving to all. :)

Actually, now that I think of it, neither steaming nor boiling is cruel at all. Neuro studies of blue crab indicate that they do not have pain sensing neurons for heat (don't have the study, but a pal of mine participated in it).

No guilt. Whew.

I could care less about cruelty addressed to water spiders. Think of the way they eat. It doesn't even have to be dead. They just gnaw away.

I hate to take a topic about delicious dip and turn it into the usual USMB BS but... I believe it is important for animals, even 1's we will eat, to not suffer. I don't think not caring about their suffering is a good idea. I think we should end the life of animals we will consume as humanely as possible. It doesn't matter how they operate, we are not them and they are not us. I think if we are to consider ourselves the superior form of life we should consider how we end theirs. Being mindful of others suffering, even if they are only animals, is what makes us a higher form of life.

I agree with you about the suffering of animals.... but, personally, I'm not that fussy about some humans.... not really overly bothered if they spend the rest of eternity suffering.

I agree with you about the suffering of animals.... but, personally, I'm not that fussy about some humans.... not really overly bothered if they spend the rest of eternity suffering.

I believe that each of us has our eternity in our own hands and that we'll be judged by our deeds in this life.

Oddly enough when i think about this subject I recall the live version of Stairway to Heaven from the Song Remains The Same where he sings "There's still time to change the road you're on" and adds the little ad lib "I hope so" as a sort of personal comment. I hope so too, for me and all the other sinners. I hope God will take into account how sorry I am for all the bad things I've done, and what I've tried to do to make up for them.

Oh, gosh, I forgot..I also put in just a pinch of curry. I love curry, but many people don't and it can overpower mild flavors. So I just put in a tiny sprinkle of curry, just enough to make you wonder, "hmm..what is that spice?"

Anyway, it was great. And it's great today, too.

No shit? This stuff that I dredged up has a name?

What's Old Bay? Please tell me it's drinking alcohol and not aftershave.
Ah....Old Bay is made by McCormick spices. It put them on the map. It was just a small company in Baltimore (pronounced 'Bal-more') who found a nice combo of herbs and spices for steaming Chesapeake blue crabs and McCormick bought them.

One can't have Chesapeake crabs without Old Bay! It would be blasphemy. Oh, and lots of Old Bay needs to be used as it makes the beer even better.

oldbay.jpg

OMG.....a picnic table covered in newspaper, piled high with steamed crabs--crack 'em open and dip that shit in a pile of Old Bay and swig a nice cold brewski on a hot summer afternoon.

My slice of heaven. (I'm from NOVA originally). *sigh*

crabhouse.jpg

Damn, I feel the need for a roadtrip to Annapolis all of a sudden. Screw turkey. (The crabs are crusted in Old Bay and one gets a cup of it on the side as well.)

Oh that's just plain cruel to post.

And a little fancy.....we just pour the Old Bay right on the newspaper, and my Dad pulls a hammer out of his toolbox. :D

If you can't crack a crab by the age of 2 in our family, you're gonna starve when we eat 'em. Every man, woman (and child) for themself! :D

Oh, gosh, I forgot..I also put in just a pinch of curry. I love curry, but many people don't and it can overpower mild flavors. So I just put in a tiny sprinkle of curry, just enough to make you wonder, "hmm..what is that spice?"

Anyway, it was great. And it's great today, too.

Try putting it in cornbread dressing. Yummmm. The ONLY way to make dressing.

Curry smells like Thanksgiving to me. ;)

New Topics

Forum List

Back