Fan problems

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I have a feeling the fan located where one of the main power sources is located is going to die soon (it's making horrible noises). Is there possible causes for this, and if it dies before I can take in to be replaced, will this bake my machine? Would a little WD-40 and a Q-tip help? It's awful dusty in there.

Said1 said:
I have a feeling the fan located where one of the main power sources is located is going to die soon (it's making horrible noises). Is there possible causes for this, and if it dies before I can take in to be replaced, will this bake my machine? Would a little WD-40 and a Q-tip help? It's awful dusty in there.

Do you ever use the air in a can stuff to blow out the dust, etc.? Try that. You most likely can get it replaced fairly easily.

Said1 said:

It can also be a sign your power supply is dying, this can do all sorts of things to your Hard Drive, chip, etc. I would replace the power supply...

freeandfun1 said:
Do you ever use the air in a can stuff to blow out the dust, etc.? Try that. You most likely can get it replaced fairly easily.

Woah. Dude, isn't that stuff like bad for the environment? :D

No, I don't have any. I was thinking about that though!

Said1 said:
Woah. Dude, isn't that stuff like bad for the environment? :D

No, I don't have any. I was thinking about that though!

I bought a neat little vacuum cleaner to clean out my keyboard and stuff, however I will stress again to get that power supply replaced. This isn't something that you want to skip by.

Sir Evil said:
That's for your power supply source! being dirty will allow it to make noise and Free1 has the right idea about the can of air. Typically the entire power supply can be changed for about $25-$30 which is probably the best option.

I just replaced it in October, along with the hard drive. I'm gonna try cleaning it, hopefully it will last for a few more weeks, until I'm done exams!!!!!!!!

Weeee, here we go again!! :cry:

no1tovote4 said:
I bought a neat little vacuum cleaner to clean out my keyboard and stuff, however I will stress again to get that power supply replaced. This isn't something that you want to skip by.

I'm sure the old lady next to me has something like that. There is no dust in her house, anywhere, ever. Like I said though, the power source has been replaced recently. I hope I can find the receipt!

Said1 said:
I just replaced it in October, along with the hard drive. I'm gonna try cleaning it, hopefully it will last for a few more weeks, until I'm done exams!!!!!!!!

Weeee, here we go again!! :cry:

Hmmm, if the Power Supply is dying that often it can be a sign you have a short in your system somewhere and are losing power from the supply to the ground. When you open the system make sure no part of the Mainboard is touching to the case. This is only one issue that can make this happen (the short) but the most obvious and the one that strikes most often. Also make sure when you buy the new supply you are getting one with enough wattage.

no1tovote4 said:
Hmmm, if the Power Supply is dying that often it can be a sign you have a short in your system somewhere and are losing power from the supply to the ground. When you open the system make sure no part of the Mainboard is touching to the case. This is only one issue that can make this happen (the short) but the most obvious and the one that strikes most often. Also make sure when you buy the new supply you are getting one with enough wattage.

If that's the case, this is the second one in less than a year. I replaced the tower (long story), and the power source lasted for about six months. It's quiet now, but you should hear it when I turn it on! :eek:

Said1 said:
If that's the case, this is the second one in less than a year. I replaced the tower (long story), and the power source lasted for about six months. It's quiet now, but you should hear it when I turn it on! :eek:

Yeah, then pretty much I am positive your power supply is dying. It starts louder than a Harley then quiets down to normal operation. The computer can work a long time in this condition however it is doing internal damage at the same time. It can literally kill your Hard Drive as in no more spin etc, and can cause damage to any chip inside including the Processor. You can take your chances until after your tests but I wouldn't wait much longer after that.

You don't keep taking it to the same place to fix do you? They might not be as good as advertised.

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah, then pretty much I am positive your power supply is dying. It starts louder than a Harley then quiets down to normal operation. The computer can work a long time in this condition however it is doing internal damage at the same time. It can literally kill your Hard Drive as in no more spin etc, and can cause damage to any chip inside including the Processor. You can take your chances until after your tests but I wouldn't wait much longer after that.

:lalala: Crap! One of them is a take home. :fu2:

Which reminds me: SAVE TO DISK

no1tovote4 said:
Burn some CDs!
not recommending any one try this but once I just took off the tower cover, unplugged everything, took it outside and blasted it with my leaf blower. Worked great !! :)

Said1 said:
Are you sure this noise is from the fan for the power source or maybe the one on the chip?

Mr. P said:
Are you sure this noise is from the fan for the power source or maybe the one on the chip?

I'm positive. It's the fan at the back of the tower, where the power supply case is located, on-off switch ect. I've had problems with fans on this tower before. There is one on the side that started making noise, but it's only an extra fan, with fancy blue and red lights in the fan case.

Said1 said:
I'm positive. It's the fan at the back of the tower, where the power supply case is located, on-off switch ect. I've had problems with fans on this tower before. There is one on the side that started making noise, but it's only an extra fan, with fancy blue and red lights in the fan case.
Are you aware that they are not designed to double as blow dryers? :soul:

no1tovote4 said:
So, Said.

Have you fixed your computer lately?

Well, if you must know! :D

Over the next few days. I have a friend experienced in this area who can do it Wednesday or Thursday. I'm looking into a laptop too, whatever comes first I guess.

New Topics

Forum List

Back