Fan Culture

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
This is 20,000 FC Koln fans in London today ahead of their game with Arsenal. However they only had 3000 tickets. Do Americans follow their team away or watch it on TV.

Most Americans will watch their team on TV, but our country is also much bigger. A fan may travel to the next state to support a team, but only so far.

I can only speak to college football on this topic. And our fans travel all over the country to support their team. Most will have tickets in hand when they go. But a surprising number will go in hopes of being able to buy an over-priced ticket at the gate.

But even if you don't get a ticket, you still tailgate with fellow fans, enjoy the game day atmosphere, and celebrate a victory with the fans.

I can only speak to college football on this topic. And our fans travel all over the country to support their team. Most will have tickets in hand when they go. But a surprising number will go in hopes of being able to buy an over-priced ticket at the gate.

But even if you don't get a ticket, you still tailgate with fellow fans, enjoy the game day atmosphere, and celebrate a victory with the fans.

That comment is one of your funnier ones. Most Southern and Eastern college schedule their game according to a bus schedule. Almost all SEC non conference games are played at home...not home and away non conference games at all. The Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 schools play home and away series with named opponents. There are a lot of games between PAC 12 and the Big 10, Big 12 every year. Not true with the SEC and only somewhat true with the ACC.

So is it expensive to travel ? I would imagine that NY to LA would be steep but what about NY to Detroit or Chicago ?

I flew to Sofia once to watch Wales play the Bulgarians. We didnt have tickets or a hotel on landing but had both sorted via the taxi driver before we left the airport.

Ive been to see Wales play in Italy,Norway,Finland,Belgium, Switzerland and of course England. Its a great way to see other countries.

But its a long way home if you lose.

Forum List

Back