Family of six counted among the dead as Harvey death toll rises to 14

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I read this story late last night and I was crying like a baby. So devastating. All those young kids dying in this manner when they relied on their great grand parents to bring them to safety. Yes, it's a horrific story but a stark reminder that you cannot wait, you must leave. It is especially true that you don't place young kids like this in peril.

Anyone here from Texas, don't roll the dice and wait around if you don't have to. Don't be a teenager all over again and defy advice from those who know better. Get the hell out and return later if there is any report of flooding on the way, heed the warnings. Your life is not worth your belongings or the safety of home.

Family of six counted among the dead as Harvey death toll rises to 14

A family of six trying to escape the floodwaters produced by Harvey has been counted among the 14 victims who died in the historic storm, authorities said.

The four children and their great-grandparents died Sunday afternoon when Samuel Saldivar, the driver of the van, attempted to pick them up amid the flooding, his sister-in-law Virginia Saldivar told the Associated Press. At one point, a strong current swept the van away and into the Greens Bayou.

"Sam calls my husband and tells him, 'they're gone,'" Saldivar said. "That's when my husband dropped the phone and started screaming."

The driver – the children’s great-uncle – managed to escape. He told everyone to get out of the van using the back door, but the van quickly sank, KHOU reported.

The victims include Manuel Saldivar, 84, and his wife Belia, 81; Daisy Saldivar, 6; Xavier Saldivar, 8; Dominic Saldivar, 14; Devy Saldivar, 16.

Witnesses said first responders were in the area, but they were too late to conduct a rescue operation, FOX26 reported.

"I'm just hoping we find the bodies," Saldivar said.

Their bodies were not recovered as of Monday night, but Harris County sheriff’s officials said "the 14 reported dead include a family of six who were lost when their van sunk after crossing a bridge and hitting high water." Saldivar said the Coast Guard told her family they couldn't search for the bodies until the water recedes. She added she has not yet told the children's father, her son, who she says is in prison for violating parole.

Forum List

Back