• Undecided/unsure/don't know/don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Jury awards $333,000 to family after cops shoot their dog. - chicagotribune.com

A federal jury awarded $333,000 to a Chicago family Thursday after Chicago police officers raided its South Side home with guns drawn and shot its dog in a search that found no criminal activity in the apartment.

Teenage brothers Thomas and Darren Russell were in their second-floor apartment in the 9200 block of South Justine Street in February 2009 when officers announced they had a warrant to search both units of the two-flat. Thomas Russell, then 18, opened the door and found officers with their guns drawn, according to the lawsuit. Russell said that he put his hands in the air and asked permission to lock up his 9-year-old black Labrador, Lady, before they entered.

A 9-year old Black Lab?

At no time were the cops in any danger from that dog.

And the settlement was not nearly enough.

If this is all there is to the story, this is just wrong. I know there are some who could care lesss about pets, but if that dog did nothing wrong, why kill it? Just the threat that the dog MIGHT do something? ed. I just read the story and they asked if they could put the dog away and the cops said no. Then the cops shot the dog. They also arrested one of the guys for "obstructing a police officer"? or something like this. This was dismissed of course and nothing was found. Nothing. They did nothing wrong, was sitting in their own homes. One gets arrested and their dog was killed for no reason at all.

Fuck that...300k is not nearly enough. If this happened in a different area, more noise would have been in made in my opinion and more people would have been in trouble in uniform. This is bullshit.

Last edited:
Jail time is the only justice, treat them like civilians who commited the same crimes. That can be the only way, and the excuse of "mistakes happen" don't wash either. These people are criminals and should be treated as such. The sad part is nothing will come of it, because the system is corrupt, top to bottom.

In fairness the cops could have had the pooch mixed up with Rod Blagojevich.

gov.jpg

"When Lady came loping around the corner with her tail wagging ..."

So says the attorney for the plaintiff. We are missing half the story.

Last edited:
from the link;

The jury awarded Thomas Russell $175,000, Darren Russell $85,000 Why?and their parents $35,000 each.WTF did they have to do with this? The jury also awarded the family $2,000 in punitive damages, levied against Antonsen for shooting the dog, and $1,000, against the police supervisor who made the decision to arrest Thomas Russell.

I get the $3000 grand. That's fair and maybe a little low.

But why do the parents, who were not there get anything?

And the rest is just a waste of money

This is an expensive dog. Maybe it was a world class Micheal Vick pit bull which had future earning potential.

from the link;

The jury awarded Thomas Russell $175,000, Darren Russell $85,000 Why?and their parents $35,000 each.WTF did they have to do with this? The jury also awarded the family $2,000 in punitive damages, levied against Antonsen for shooting the dog, and $1,000, against the police supervisor who made the decision to arrest Thomas Russell.

Because it was the family dog. I know if somebody killed my dog, I'd be heartbroken. They'd had the dog since they were kids, which means the dog was purchased, owned and maintained by the parents.

I actually agree with the amount as it stands.

from the link;

Because it was the family dog. I know if somebody killed my dog, I'd be heartbroken. They'd had the dog since they were kids, which means the dog was purchased, owned and maintained by the parents.

Would your dog defend you against armed intruders?

from the link;

I need the cops side of the story.

clearly the guy thought his dog may attack b/c he wanted to pen it up.

from the link;

I lost my dogs in a relationship ending, and their worth was never about them accomplishing something.

I lost my dogs in a relationship ending, and their worth was never about them accomplishing something.

But they would defend you. Most dogs would.

You saying the dog wasn't safe around strangers? I've been around a lot of dogs, in the dog park, etc. I've never been attacked for trying to speak to their owners. My dogs never attacked anyone, regardless of who came to the door. They barked, we said shut up, they stopped barking.

You saying the dog wasn't safe around strangers? I've been around a lot of dogs, in the dog park, etc. I've never been attacked for trying to speak to their owners. My dogs never attacked anyone, regardless of who came to the door. They barked, we said shut up, they stopped barking.

Dog parks are different.You take the collar off and let them play with each other, and they are all best friends. Put the collar on, and they change. Put them in the house, and they change even more.

Normal dog behaviour.

Domicile is the base word for domestication.

Apparently you've never been to a dog park. They all wear their collars, and sometimes they get in fights. WITH EACH OTHER. Not with the people attending them.

I notice you skipped the bit about what would happen at my house.

Forum List

Back