Family Gatherings and Conversation?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
So Im wondering when you have a family gathering, dinner, barbeque etc, what kinds of subjects do you all talk about? All small talk, or do you mix it up with some politics/religion?

My family has always talked politics and religion at the dinner table including slightly larger gatherings. Usually it's small talk first then we work our way up to the intense stuff.

Reason I ask is some families prefer to never talk about such things and just keep the conversation light.

Abbey Normal said:
Current events, TV, movies, religion and our jobs.

So your family has no problem discussing those things either? I ask because I have a friend whose family will never talk about anything but small talk like where the new mall is going up, and how the new neighbors planted tomatos in sideways rows as opposed to horizontal rows? I love her dearly as a friend but when she comes to my family gatherings she can't believe we all talk about world events, religion, and other things. I always thought that was the norm as that was what I grew up with? I'm thinking if you can't talk to family about those things, then who do you talk to about them??

Bonnie said:
So your family has no problem discussing those things either? I ask because I have a friend whose family will never talk about anything but small talk like where the new mall is going up, and how the new neighbors planted tomatos in sideways rows as opposed to horizontal rows? I love her dearly as a friend but when she comes to my family gatherings she can't believe we all talk about world events, religion, and other things. I always thought that was the norm as that was what I grew up with? I'm thinking if you can't talk to family about those things, then who do you talk to about them??

I am lucky in that our immediate families (both sides) have generally similar political views, on the whole, though we don't agree on everything. We do get pretty passionate about it, and my Italian relatives can really crank up the volume.
Lib absurditities (redundant, I know) are always a good dessert topic. :D

Abbey Normal said:
I am lucky in that our immediate families (both sides) have generally similar political views, on the whole, though we don't agree on everything. We do get pretty passionate about it, and my Italian relatives can really crank up the volume.
Lib absurditities (redundant, I know) are always a good dessert topic. :D

Exactly how my family is!! And like you we have a great time!!!

Bonnie said:
So Im wondering when you have a family gathering, dinner, barbeque etc, what kinds of subjects do you all talk about? All small talk, or do you mix it up with some politics/religion?

My family has always talked politics and religion at the dinner table including slightly larger gatherings. Usually it's small talk first then we work our way up to the intense stuff.

Reason I ask is some families prefer to never talk about such things and just keep the conversation light.

We're Irish, all politics, religion, and kids. ;)

After the hour long prayer over the food by my over-religious brother my family gangs up and tries to convert me...

Usually lame things over and over with grandparents/that sort of family. My mom and dad and I, however, discuss away at current issues. Perhaps every gathering with my grandparents and one other couple, someone mentions a political figure or something in the real news, and are met with fiery responses by me. We're gonna have a hell of a time once we move down there, with all those liberal family members. I can see myself being un-invited from several formal occasions because of that:happy2: .

My father, brother and his family were here for dinner tonight. Here's what I can remember discussing: Zarqawi's death, eminent domain, MPAA ratings, public schools, high school science courses, dirty hotels, and the movie Tombstone (on everyone's fave list).

Oh, and Britney Spears hiring a "Manny" :laugh:

Forum List

Back