Fall/Winter Gardens

I'm so jealous of you all. :) I wish I had the room to have a garden! I've done an herb garden in pots before. I might do that again next year. It was really nice and convenient to just be able to go outside and pick whatever herbs I needed for a dish.

If you have any outside space, try going up with pots on walls, etc. or see if you can borrow space if you are so inclined. When I was growing up, my dad would let relatives/neighbors use part of our land for gardens if they wanted to have one (which was awesome because it was less grass for me to mow)

I'm so jealous of you all. :) I wish I had the room to have a garden! I've done an herb garden in pots before. I might do that again next year. It was really nice and convenient to just be able to go outside and pick whatever herbs I needed for a dish.

If you have any outside space, try going up with pots on walls, etc. or see if you can borrow space if you are so inclined. When I was growing up, my dad would let relatives/neighbors use part of our land for gardens if they wanted to have one (which was awesome because it was less grass for me to mow)

I have this really cool "privacy screen" planter. That is what I used when I grow flowers or whatever. This past year, I grew some climbing vines and some snap dragons. The screen looks very much like this one below. Mine has 7 planters and is more ornate than the one below though.

m7aRqqMtJx8cHnBpD_EgsPw.jpg

I have this really cool "privacy screen" planter. That is what I used when I grow flowers or whatever. This past year, I grew some climbing vines and some snap dragons. The screen looks very much like this one below. Mine has 7 planters and is more ornate than the one below though.

There are lots of options out there if you own your crib or have a lenient landlord. I just bought a new house. I will have about an acre and a half and I plan to buy another lot beside it this winter that is about 1/4 of an acre--mostly wooded--that I plan to clear cut to push back the critters. Even with all that land, I am still thinking I am going to try to do something like this on the outbuilding just so I don't have to drag waterhoses.

Vertical Gardening Ideas - How To Make a Vertical Garden - Country Living

There are lots of options out there if you own your crib or have a lenient landlord. I just bought a new house. I will have about an acre and a half and I plan to buy another lot beside it this winter that is about 1/4 of an acre--mostly wooded--that I plan to clear cut to push back the critters. Even with all that land, I am still thinking I am going to try to do something like this on the outbuilding just so I don't have to drag waterhoses.

Vertical Gardening Ideas - How To Make a Vertical Garden - Country Living

Very cool! :)

Using my day off to move landscaping from the old house to the new house. I hoped I could wait and do some of it in the spring, but things have changed so I don't want to chance losing a bunch of the plants. Already moved about a dozen roses and a billion peonies today. I wish I could take it all TBH. I have a dwarfstar magnolia I got a sweet deal on and a few red maples and gardenias, but they are going to be too large for me to transplant without a backhoe.

My afternoon will involve tossing some flower beds looking for bulbs for some tubers for bleeding hearts and bulbs for really expensive tulips I planted a few years ago after being able to stack some discounts and coupons to get them a lot cheaper, but still pricey. Makes me wish I had planted them all together instead of randomly here and there. I have already lugged so many rocks I used as border to make me want to never ever move again ever.

We may skip right past the first frost (which is late) and go to the first snow (which is waaaaay early) Sunday. My little greens bed at the new crib is starting to fill out so I guess I will be rolling plastic over it sunday. Moving in this weekend (finally) even though it will still be awhile before I completely vacate the left behinds from the old house to the curbside since we can only put so much out at once without getting a huge bill for extra service.

We had a dwarf Ginko, just dropped every leaf. Sugar Maples were just gorgeous a couple weeks ago. We have some ornamental grass that's going to look pretty cool over the winter. Kale's looking colorful now also. Getting ready to continue bedding the garden for the winter.

Just got my 2015 Michigan Nursery Stock license this week.

They are showing quarantines on True Firs, Barberry, Blueberry, Chestnut, Ash, Hemlock, Oregon Grape Mrtyle, Pine (NY & VT), Spruce (NY & VT), Douglas Fir (from NY & VT), Walnut, Currents.

We had a dwarf Ginko, just dropped every leaf. Sugar Maples were just gorgeous a couple weeks ago. We have some ornamental grass that's going to look pretty cool over the winter. Kale's looking colorful now also. Getting ready to continue bedding the garden for the winter.

We haven't had a lot of good foilage this year. The leaves held on late and are now dropping like mad without a lot of color. Not sure why. Was wet most of the year but kind of dry this fall in comparison. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

Just got my 2015 Michigan Nursery Stock license this week.

They are showing quarantines on True Firs, Barberry, Blueberry, Chestnut, Ash, Hemlock, Oregon Grape Mrtyle, Pine (NY & VT), Spruce (NY & VT), Douglas Fir (from NY & VT), Walnut, Currents.

Must have Ebola

My third planting of radishes has come up, the other two plantings have been pulled and put into the compost. My third planting of carrots is just barely coming through...the first planting will produce some baby carrots this coming week.
I've started cutting some of the Romaine for house use...I cut & let it come again unless I need to thin, then I pull the whole plant.
My peas are starting to climb their fence panels and the cabbages & broccoli are growing nicely.
I need to use a few onions as "spring/green onions" to thin those that I planted a couple of months ago and I have more that I need to get the bed prepped today and get them in the ground...4 or 5 different varieties.
The spinach is growing but very, very slowly...I have not been able to get it to grow here at all in the past...we'll see what happens.
The tater patch has it's layer of horse manure on it and will be ready to turn it under in about a month...so that I can plant soon after that.

Forum List

Back