Fall Pasta Salad

Moi

Sep 2, 2003
The ONLY GOOD place
I've been craving this pasta...I guess because I can't have it now that there's a foot of snow on the ground (and I cannot go to the store!)

1 lb spaghetti or linguini (cooked and cooled)
4-5 pepperoncini, sliced (seeds removed, if preferred)
2 apples, cored, seeded and cubed
2 16 oz cans of black olives, pitted
1 large cucumber, halved and sliced (seeds removed, if preferred)
1 or 2 cans of tuna, water packed white meat

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Dress the "salad" with salt, pepper (I use a product called Crazy Salt), oil and vinegar to taste.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
That's really funny, and I know he is just kidding Moi.
He's not kidding. He's spit out more than one dish I've made! Jane's Crazy Mixed up Salt is a commercial product. They have different versions of it but I prefer the original. Can't tell you what's in it except salt and pepper but I know there's at least a dozen or so others.

4-5 pepperoncini, sliced

Are these the small, light green peppers? The ones they put in the box with the pizza at Papa John's? Cause if they are, my roommate made me eat one a couple weeks ago, and I almost threw up. Would this work without them? Cause it sounds good, otherwise (although apples and tuna does sound like an odd combo).

Originally posted by Dan
Are these the small, light green peppers? The ones they put in the box with the pizza at Papa John's? Cause if they are, my roommate made me eat one a couple weeks ago, and I almost threw up. Would this work without them? Cause it sounds good, otherwise (although apples and tuna does sound like an odd combo).
I don't know about Papa John's but they are small light green peppers, yes, and they are sold in a jar with liquid. I should think you could make it without them. Just for reference, if you only use the peppers and scrape out the seeds they are usually not so hot. Of course, any pepper that you eat directly (as opposed to in a recipe) will be kinda hot.

OK, yeah, those are them. BTW, I wasn't trying to insinuate that this salad would make me sick or anything, I really think I'll make this one.

Just wondering, do you remove the seeds?

Originally posted by Dan

I hate those peppers! True story - my mother-in-law called up the guy that owns about 17 stores in our area, and complained about those peppers (she is slightly allergic to them). He said something to the effect that it was too hard to train teenagers not to put the peppers in when customers requested that they be left out. My mother-in-law then brought up her allergies, to which the owner replied "Well, maybe you shouldn't order our pizza any more."
But, a couple of months later, she was chosen as a secret shopper for Papa Johns. So now we get four free pizzas every week, as long as she takes pictures of them, we give our opinions, and she sends them in to national Papa Johns' HQ. We just have to make sure that the peppers are taken out of the box as soon as we get them.

Originally posted by Dan
OK, yeah, those are them. BTW, I wasn't trying to insinuate that this salad would make me sick or anything, I really think I'll make this one.

Just wondering, do you remove the seeds?
I don't remove them for myself but if I'm serving the salad to guests then, yes. The best thing to do is to slice off the top of the pepper ad then slice down the length; fold open; scrape the knife's edge carfully down the inside of the opened pepper. That way, seeds and membrane are all removed - less heat!

don't worry, it's almost impossible to offend me!

Forum List

Back