Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids (here we go again wow)

Just a question but can some provide information on the disabled students or their parents being upset about attending a "fake" prom?

"wonder what is so wrong with these people? its sickining i now want a free vip ticket to go down there and go into teh school and just start something..

Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids - Broadsheet - Salon.com

"
Constance McMillen just wanted what teenage girls have dreamed about since time immemorial -- to go to the prom with the person she's dating. In McMillen's case, that person happens to be another girl. But the possibility of some same-sex jamming to "I Gotta Feeling" didn't sit too well with the folks at Mississippi's Itawamba Agricultural High School. Reasoning that no prom was better than a prom with lesbians, they abruptly canceled the whole affair last month. Cue media frenzy, ACLU lawsuit, Facebook uproar.
After an embarrassing glare of attention on Itawamba, it seemed a happy ending was in sight. Last Tuesday, the school agreed to host an off-campus prom and told Constance she could, per her stated intention, bring her date and wear a tux. On Friday night, McMillen and her girlfriend showed up at the Fulton Country Club ready to party. There, she says, she found just seven other revelers, including two learning disabled students.
Worse, she claims that her classmates were off doing the Macarena at an alternate event, arranged with the aid and consent of the parents and staff of her school. Speaking to the Advocate this week, McMillen said, "They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them ... everyone went to the other one I wasn't invited to."
God knows it's no great stretch to give teens and adults credit for being ignorant douchebags, but seriously? They threw a whole other prom? What is this, an episode of "Glee"?
Indeed, Gawker reported yesterday that they had dug up a Facebook page for one of McMillen's classmates, and lo! There were pix galore of a well-attended, corsage-riddled weekend dance event. (Even more have been neatly compiled on BruceKatz23's Flickr stream.) Unlike that legendary slumber party your best friend threw when she told you she was home alone with the mumps, however, the alternate dance wasn't a total top secret. McMillen says that she knew about the other event, but, "If I wasn't wanted there, I wasn't going to go."
The elaborate lengths to which people will apparently go to avoid a girl in a tux are dispiriting at best, and McMillen's victory may seem to have the word "Pyrrhic" stamped all over it. But in the end, she may well have had a better prom than many of us ever did. (Non-discrimination is a right, but having crappy experiences in high school is pretty much an inevitability.) McMillen told the Advocate that the special ed kids "had the time of their lives ... That's the one good thing that came out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them."
It may have been far from perfect, but unlike the blowout across town, that little shindig at Fulton Country Club was everything that I hope for for my own daughters, on their prom nights and their wedding days and all their lives. Because none of those other people matter. On Friday night, Connie McMillen got to walk through that door on the arm of the person she wanted to dance with."

School and students need to stop listen to parents and grow up. "

Sounds like she had fun, furthermore sounds like she knew about the other prom, probably could have showed up there but refused. Said she didn't want to show up where she wasn't wanted. Well, newsflash, you don't have a right to be "wanted". Looks like she had more fun at the prom she did attend, and more power to her...now what's the problem?

Well said. Once again the adults, those that should know better, ruin it for the kids and act like 5 year olds in the process.

Ruined for the kids? Sounds to me that most the kids enjoyed themselves. But since we don't have any statements any conclusions either of us could draw are presumptions at best.

Funny how the ACLU is quick to defend the rights of students in the GLBT community while at the same time try and censor the rights of students to include a prayer in their graduation ceremony.

Would you favor a Muslim prayer to Allah at your children's graduation?
Now you know why prayer is not allowed at a public school graduation.

I've got no problem with it. Prayer is prayer.

Sounds like she had fun, furthermore sounds like she knew about the other prom, probably could have showed up there but refused. Said she didn't want to show up where she wasn't wanted. Well, newsflash, you don't have a right to be "wanted". Looks like she had more fun at the prom she did attend, and more power to her...now what's the problem?

"Sounds like" the people at the other prom specifically wouldn't have let her in, which is why they made it a separate private event.

Personally, I don't care if these girls are lesbians, albinos, Jews, or whatever, discrimination is discrimination.

This particular instance may not be illegal, but it's beneath contempt.

Bunch of trailer trash, ignorant, redneck pieces of crap that they are.

there nothing wrong being gay, you can accpet them the way they are. there telling her that she would of had to bring a guy and wear a dress in that theory there forcing there opioion on her. nice try it does not worth both ways.

WTF are you babbling about this AM.

Of course there's nothing wrong with being gay.

And YOU can accept them the way the are.

But there's no reason that I MUST accept them. Nor is there any reason anyone else should, outside of Federal Law.

Who says you, or anyone, should accept gays? We keep hearing that time and time again yet see no evidence of it.
You do have to accept them as having equal rights as everyone else. Equal rights are not "special" rights as the religous right calls it. Equal means equal.
True liberty and the very foundation of this great nation is you have to accept and protect the equal rights of those you may despise the most.
Nothing more, nothing less.
We are a nation of laws, not of men and their differing opinions. You are entitled to have them but they have no basis in the law.

And they did have equal rights. They were invited to the prom. Because the other students decided not to go, doesnt mean they don't have equal rights. Everyone was invited.

McMillen told the Advocate that the special ed kids "had the time of their lives ... That's the one good thing that came out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them."

Props to this girl for doing her best to do the right thing. It looks like she and her girlfriend got snubbed in the end but were able to see the bright side. Sounds like the special ed kids had the best prom of all.

How did she get snubbed? She went to the prom as she wanted. Where on earth is it said that everyone else had to go? They chose to exercise their freedom and not go.

It's like the entire concept of freedom is completely lost on people nowadays.

"Sounds like" the people at the other prom specifically wouldn't have let her in, which is why they made it a separate private event.

Personally, I don't care if these girls are lesbians, albinos, Jews, or whatever, discrimination is discrimination.

On the contrary, she probably had more fun than she would have at the other "prom". The school didn't discriminate, everyone was invited to that prom, it's not their fault that most of the student body chose not to attend. And from what I read, not all of them in attendance at that prom were disabled. So the Prom was smaller than she expected, probably made it a lot more fun, in my opinion, but then I hate crowds.

We owe them equal protection under the law. You included.
If you do not like the US Constitution, then elect politicians that back an amendment to Constitution that bans gays and taking same sex dates to public school proms.
We are a nation of laws. If she was my kid I would be proud of her. You support her being open and honest about who she is and what she planned to do is against school discipline.That is the most absurd argument I have heard to date. Her actions were more disciplined than the adults at the school and on the school board.
You allow them to discriminate against her, next time it is your ass they will run in.

No one was banned from going to the prom. They went to the prom. The other kids chose not to go.

No one is obligated to go to a prom. Or are they not allowed freedom simply because another person wants them there?

So because people choose not to go to the school sponsored event and have another party they are obligated to invite everyone?

They were allowed to go to the prom. You can't force the other kids to go with them.

You're right, it isn't against the law.

It's just fucking despicable.

Like I said, Lesbians and disabled people should descend on that town like locusts. Maybe stage a giant sit in in the middle of town, with as much public display of affection as possible.

They'll just be exercising their right to free speech too, now won't they?
That applies if the school wasn't involved in both proms.

But yes, it is nasty of all involved.

So because people choose not to go to the school sponsored event and have another party they are obligated to invite everyone?

They were allowed to go to the prom. You can't force the other kids to go with them.

Like I said, Lesbians and disabled people should descend on that town like locusts. Maybe stage a giant sit in in the middle of town, with as much public display of affection as possible.

So attempting to ruin the prom for the other kids is perfectly alright. But the other kids not showing up to the prom is despicable?

If they want to exercise their free speech rights, let them. But speak, whine, complain all you want, you cannot force people to go to a school sponsored event if they choose not to.

What is the problem with you people and freedom? it's only good when you guys exercise it. Anyone else doing it is despicable.

On the contrary, she probably had more fun than she would have at the other "prom". The school didn't discriminate, everyone was invited to that prom, it's not their fault that most of the student body chose not to attend. And from what I read, not all of them in attendance at that prom were disabled. So the Prom was smaller than she expected, probably made it a lot more fun, in my opinion, but then I hate crowds.

Oh COME ON!

Do you think anyone didn't see through their little transparent trick? Including the girls involved, who are just trying to make the best out of a bad situation?

They're a bunch of piss-ants, and I think that there should be a large gathering of people expressing their freedom of speech rights going to that town very soon.

oh please this is discrimination as much as you don't want to admit it. are you part of the school? if that was true... than why did she win her court???? they violated her rights

Could you cite the court case that she allegedly won? My understanding is that the case never went to Court because the school quickly flipped on the issue.

There was no discrimination. They were invited. They showed up. The other teenagers decided not to attend. Unless you are somehow arguing that the Government should force teenagers to go to their proms, you have absolutely no case.

So attempting to ruin the prom for the other kids is perfectly alright. But the other kids not showing up to the prom is despicable?

If they want to exercise their free speech rights, let them. But speak, whine, complain all you want, you cannot force people to go to a school sponsored event if they choose not to.

What is the problem with you people and freedom? it's only good when you guys exercise it. Anyone else doing it is despicable.

Everyone has the right to exercise free speech.

The difference is most people don't use free speech to ostracize two little girls from their community.

Just a question but can some provide information on the disabled students or their parents being upset about attending a "fake" prom?

Can't be upset about a fake prom that wasn't fake.

Simply because it was sparcely attended, doesn't make it fake.

How horrible! Someone threw a party and didn't invite them. It's the worst thing anyone could possibly do.

I didn't get an invite either. Those partiers must be punished because I have a right to be invited to private parties. They can't keep me out legally. I should sue!

I think what you're really upset about is you didn't get invited either.

We owe them equal protection under the law. You included.
If you do not like the US Constitution, then elect politicians that back an amendment to Constitution that bans gays and taking same sex dates to public school proms.
We are a nation of laws. If she was my kid I would be proud of her. You support her being open and honest about who she is and what she planned to do is against school discipline.That is the most absurd argument I have heard to date. Her actions were more disciplined than the adults at the school and on the school board.
You allow them to discriminate against her, next time it is your ass they will run in.

The case isn't being argued as a "discrimination" case. It's being argued as case of "free speech/expression". Which means essentially that it argues that the school cannot set rules for dress and decorum.

And... if she was my kid, I would have insisted that she either follow the prescribed rules or not attend the event. I don't know about you, but I actually do have children in this age group, and I don't allow them to make their own rules or to manipulate other people to their own will.

The human brain is not fully mature until about age 25. The pre-frontal cortex is the seat of judgment and still immature. So, if my kid wanted to be a "gay activist", sure... I'd support him/her. But not until they're mature enough to make that decision, to fully understand the implications of it, and to take personal responsibility for the consequences of it.

This case isn't about "honesty". It's about dishonesty. Because it wasn't about the prom... it was about activism. And you're not arguing for "equal protection". You're arguing for "special protection".

You are wrong once again. Please show me where the school is arguing about the dress code in this case. That is not what their lawyers argued in court. Not one thing about the dress code.
But you knew that already and are attempting to twist, distort, side step, slant and avoid the issues.
These are the facts if you are interested:
The school board HAD always banned same sex couples going to the prom in the past. FACT.
The school board did tell the girl she could NOT bring the other girl as her date and that SHE was not allowed to wear a tuxedo. NO WHERE was there any ban for any other girl wearing a tuxedo. They never made that argument or the dress code argument in court.
The school's attorneys stated that the girl did inform the principal at the school that she planned to bring her girlfriend and the principal told her it was not allowed. Nothing about the tuxedo in that discussion.
Are you claiming it is okay for the school to tell your daughter not to wear a tuxedo to the prom? What is wrong with that?
All this girl wanted was to go to the prom with her date like all of the other kids.
40 years from now you will look back on this and see how silly these "adults" acted.
They should be ashamed of themselves.

That applies if the school wasn't involved in both proms.

But yes, it is nasty of all involved.

Throwing a party isnt nasty at all. Not going to prom isn't nasty.

You just don't like the fact that these people chose not to allow you to force your ideals onto them.

Forum List

Back