Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids (here we go again wow)

Maybe the students just wanted to have a prom without all the media coverage being brought on by McMillen.

"wonder what is so wrong with these people? its sickining i now want a free vip ticket to go down there and go into teh school and just start something..

Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids - Broadsheet - Salon.com

"
Constance McMillen just wanted what teenage girls have dreamed about since time immemorial -- to go to the prom with the person she's dating. In McMillen's case, that person happens to be another girl. But the possibility of some same-sex jamming to "I Gotta Feeling" didn't sit too well with the folks at Mississippi's Itawamba Agricultural High School. Reasoning that no prom was better than a prom with lesbians, they abruptly canceled the whole affair last month. Cue media frenzy, ACLU lawsuit, Facebook uproar.
After an embarrassing glare of attention on Itawamba, it seemed a happy ending was in sight. Last Tuesday, the school agreed to host an off-campus prom and told Constance she could, per her stated intention, bring her date and wear a tux. On Friday night, McMillen and her girlfriend showed up at the Fulton Country Club ready to party. There, she says, she found just seven other revelers, including two learning disabled students.
Worse, she claims that her classmates were off doing the Macarena at an alternate event, arranged with the aid and consent of the parents and staff of her school. Speaking to the Advocate this week, McMillen said, "They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them ... everyone went to the other one I wasn't invited to."
God knows it's no great stretch to give teens and adults credit for being ignorant douchebags, but seriously? They threw a whole other prom? What is this, an episode of "Glee"?
Indeed, Gawker reported yesterday that they had dug up a Facebook page for one of McMillen's classmates, and lo! There were pix galore of a well-attended, corsage-riddled weekend dance event. (Even more have been neatly compiled on BruceKatz23's Flickr stream.) Unlike that legendary slumber party your best friend threw when she told you she was home alone with the mumps, however, the alternate dance wasn't a total top secret. McMillen says that she knew about the other event, but, "If I wasn't wanted there, I wasn't going to go."
The elaborate lengths to which people will apparently go to avoid a girl in a tux are dispiriting at best, and McMillen's victory may seem to have the word "Pyrrhic" stamped all over it. But in the end, she may well have had a better prom than many of us ever did. (Non-discrimination is a right, but having crappy experiences in high school is pretty much an inevitability.) McMillen told the Advocate that the special ed kids "had the time of their lives ... That's the one good thing that came out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them."
It may have been far from perfect, but unlike the blowout across town, that little shindig at Fulton Country Club was everything that I hope for for my own daughters, on their prom nights and their wedding days and all their lives. Because none of those other people matter. On Friday night, Connie McMillen got to walk through that door on the arm of the person she wanted to dance with."

School and students need to stop listen to parents and grow up. "

This is just outrageous.

What a sick fucking community this must be.

Yes, any community that doesn't share your moral standards is just fucking sick.

Perhaps we should conduct an Inquistion, ferrit out those that sicken you, and burn them at the stake.

I don't understand the outrage.

Everyone got what they wanted.

No, not Ellen, and the National Association of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transsexuals.

They want EVERYONE to accept their sexual preference/deviance (or whatever you prefer to call it).

ANY Rejection will not be tolerated.

Wow. As an American who believes in the freedom of all our citizens, this is outrageous.

Why?

Everyone was invited to the school sponsored event, including the Lesbian.

There was another PRIVATE event planned on the same evening.

Most kids using their individual freedom made the choice to go to the PRIVATE event.

Would you have been happier had eveyone been rounded up at the end of bayonets so they could be forced to dance with a lesbian?
According to the article, she wasn't invited to the other prom.

Funny how the ACLU is quick to defend the rights of students in the GLBT community while at the same time try and censor the rights of students to include a prayer in their graduation ceremony.

What they did to those kids was unconscionably cruel.

The whole fucking town should be razed to the ground.

Yes, and then we can move on to the next population that doesn't embrase your definition of morality!!!

ONLY FIRE CAN CLEANSE THE LAND!!!

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

:woohoo::woohoo:

Funny how the ACLU is quick to defend the rights of students in the GLBT community while at the same time try and censor the rights of students to include a prayer in their graduation ceremony.

If you want to throw red herrings, try equating Gays to Blacks.

All sorts of outrage will prevail.

Shogun will even leave his tree-fort to participate.

in one instance the other students are protected from having other kids' religious beliefs imposed upon them. in the other, the kids are entitled to be treated like every other kid in school.

don't like that whole separation of church and state thing, eh? if your kid can't go 8 hours without organized prayer, your kid should go to parochial school. :thup:

don't like that whole separation of church and state thing, eh? if your kid can't go 8 hours without organized prayer, your kid should go to parochial school. :thup:

Um.....jillian.....if I can't go 8 hours without watching Lesbians Embrase, then where should I go?

Wow. As an American who believes in the freedom of all our citizens, this is outrageous.

Why?

Most kids using their individual freedom made the choice to go to the PRIVATE event.

Would you have been happier had eveyone been rounded up at the end of bayonets so they could be forced to dance with a lesbian?

Yep, the "private event" organized and supported by school officials.

Appreciate the straw man, but you miss my point. You have a problem with the entitlement mentality, but don't seem to grasp that this is exactly the kind of overprotective, enabling behavior by schools and parents that fosters a generation of entitled brats. "Don't want to have to look at a learning disabled kid? Don't want to be in the same room with a lesbian? Sure honey, no problem, we'll go ten miles out of our way to bend over and kiss your ass for you." Instead of "You don't have to like it, but you have to learn to deal with the fact that you don't get to have everything your way and not everybody will be like you. Go have a good time anyway."

Did they have the right to do what they did? If it weren't for the school's involvement, I'd say wholeheartedly yes - but it's for damned sure not "right". All just so their perfect little babies could be "entitled" to not have to look at those who just aren't good enough for them.

Um.....jillian.....if I can't go 8 hours without watching Lesbians Embrase, then where should I go?

you were right before when you said compare them to blacks. i thought we were past segregation...

should we put up a sign, "no blacks, no jews, no gays" to appease some nasty biased people who pretend their bias is based in their religion?

in one instance the other students are protected from having other kids' religious beliefs imposed upon them. in the other, the kids are entitled to be treated like every other kid in school.

The "fake prom" was not a school event.

Go back and read the article. School officials were involved in planning and promoting it. There isn't enough info to know if any school funds were used, but it's clear this was not a strictly "private" affair.

Why?

Yep, the "private event" organized and supported by school officials.

Appreciate the straw man, but you miss my point. .....
Did they have the right to do what they did? If it weren't for the school's involvement, I'd say wholeheartedly yes - but it's for damned sure not "right". All just so their perfect little babies could be "entitled" to not have to look at those who just aren't good enough for them.

I see.

Your point is, that you know what is right for the students and parents of Itawamba Agricultural High School.

How silly of them not to have considered your opinion.

According to this, it was:

In an apparent compromise, school district officials said parents would organize a private event with school chaperones that McMillen could attend, tuxedo and all

The Associated Press: Miss. lesbian student's prom night falls short

Go back and read the article. School officials were involved in planning and promoting it. There isn't enough info to know if any school funds were used, but it's clear this was not a strictly "private" affair.

It is "clear?"

I think not: One even was sponsored by the school, the other even wasn't.

New Topics

Forum List

Back