CDZ Fake News/Media Syndrome

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Dec 9, 2017.

?

How serious is fake/biased/erroneous news in modern times?

1. 1. Not serious at all

2. 2. Somewhat serious

3. 3. Serious

4. 4. Extremely serious.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    Hmmm how about maliciously mis-representing Muslims?

Fox News Apologizes for False Claims of Muslim-Only Areas in England and France

Fox News issued an unusual on-air apology on Saturday night for having allowed its anchors and guests to repeat the false claim that there are Muslim-only “no-go zones” in European countries like England and France that are not under the control of the state and are ruled according to Shariah law.

2. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    Tell me what was 'malicious' regarding your first supposed 'Fake News' by CNN?

You know- where CNN reported on what Comey was supposedly going to say- but turned out not to say- and then corrected their report to indicate that he didn't say it.

3. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    Now you are just being partisan- not factual.

I posted both the CNN article that was cited- and the report the CNN was citing.

The Daily Caller lied. I showed that. And that is wrong.

But if it is done by right wing media- clearly that is okay with you.

4. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    How about when Fox News maliciously and erroneously reported something that was false?

Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich "apparently was assassinated at 4 in the morning, having given WikiLeaks something like 53,000 emails and 17,000 attachments. ... It turns out, it wasn’t the Russians."
    Newt Gingrich on Sunday, May 21st, 2017 in an episode of "Fox and Friends"

That was a malicious attack on Seth Rich- and whose family has called Fox on it.

"We have this very strange story now of this young man who worked for the Democratic National Committee, who apparently was assassinated at 4 in the morning, having given WikiLeaks something like 53,000 emails and 17,000 attachments," Gingrich said on Fox May 21. "Nobody’s investigating that, and what does that tell you about what was going on? Because it turns out, it wasn’t the Russians."

The problem was- Fox/Gringrich said this after this claim was recanted

Here’s the problem: Hours after Fox published its report, Wheeler recanted. He told CNN that he hadn’t seen the evidence himself, and his knowledge of Rich’s alleged email contact with WikiLeaks came from the national Fox News reporter, not his own investigative work.

"Let me just really quickly say this," Wheeler said on Hannity’s show May 16. "I don't know for sure, I don't know as a matter of fact if the emails went out to the WikiLeaks or anybody else, but it sure appears that way."

5. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    More Fox malicious 'news'?

No evidence that Podesta's email password was 'password'

"What happened was John Podesta gave his password to a hacker. And guess what his password was. 'Password,' " said Fox News' Jesse Watters on Jan. 4. "It’s a true story. His password was ‘password.’
    That’d be funny, if it were true. The thing is, there’s no material evidence to support the claim that Podesta violated a very basic tenet of Internet safety.

Further, Podesta was using a Gmail account, and Google doesn’t allow users to make their passwords "password."

6. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    Another example of 'malicious' lies from Fox

Bill O'Reilly wrongly says Merrick Garland voted to ban citizens from having guns in DC

"But he voted, so the folks know, in Washington, D.C., to keep guns away from private citizens, and the Supreme Court of course said no, that is unconstitutional," O’Reilly added. "But he voted to keep the guns away. Just that vote, and you must know this, alienates most in the Republican Party, so they never would vote to confirm him."

Before the case went to the Supreme Court, though, it appeared in the federal court of appeals for the D.C. circuit, where Garland has been a judge since 1997, as Parker vs. District of Columbia. In a 2-1 decision, a panel of three D.C. Circuit judges came to the same conclusion as the Supreme Court: The Washington handgun ban was unconstitutional.

Based on O’Reilly’s claim, one might assume that the single dissenting vote in this D.C. Circuit opinion belonged to Garland. However, it was Judge Karen Henderson who dissented, while Judges Laurence Silberman and Thomas Griffith signed the majority opinion.

Garland didn’t vote on this case at all.

7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,092
    That is a legitimate fake news story. The apology is still posted on their website, both written and the on air apology. They cannot be excused for the error, but this does appear to be a good effort at correcting the error as visibly and prominently as they made it without trying to justify it in any way. An error, I might add, that did not unfairly or maliciously impact on any person's reputation or damage any person living or dead. If it had done so, it would have been a much more grievous offense.

8. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,649
    'legitimate fake news story' lol

They cannot be excused for the error, but this does appear to be a good effort at correcting the error as visibly and prominently as they made it without trying to justify it in any way.

Tell me how that is different from CNN's publishing a mistake where their prediction turned out to be false- and they issued a correction?

The difference is that Fox was maliciously impugning Muslims- living and dead in France- while CNN's story didn't impugn anyone.

9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,092
    Did anybody else other than Gingrich and Hannity at Fox report that story? Gingrich isn't a Fox staffer but is what they call a contributor, i.e. somebody brought in to be a talking head during a news segment. The official story, in a nutshell, is that Rod Wheeler, a private investigator hired by the Rich family to investigate Seth's murder, initially said that Seth had given those e-mails to wikileaks. He then backtracked on the story. Of note, since they said they couldn't afford an investigator, a third party, a Mr. Butowsky, offered to pay Wheeler's fee and from what I have read, from that point on Wheeler only dealt with the Rich's.

Followed all manner of speculation, based on a lawsuit brought by Wheeler, that Fox News had colluded with Butowsky and the Trump Administration to cook up a fake news story. None of that claim by Wheeler has been corroborated by anybody I might add.

So it is possible that we could be dealing with fake news here though it is definitely unclear as to where it originated or who is putting it out there. The one thing in Gingrich's favor is that he was relating the story that was going around instead of asserting it as a confirmed fact.

Wheeler denied he ever made the claim about the Rich/wikileaks association though it seems uncertain whether that was before or after the Rich family issued him a cease-and-desist order as they said their son was not the wikileaks source. If he wasn't saying it, why the cease-and-desist order? That part of the story remains fuzzy. Fox News gets it wrong sometimes, but they don't have a history of making things up.

Julian Assange has not revealed his source for those e-mails but has been consistent that he didn't get them from the Russians. And so far as I know, we still don't know who killed Seth Rich or why.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,092
    I did. When Fox News botches a story, they generally admit it on their website and on air pretty much as prominently as they reported the story when they botched it.

Quietly changing the story and headline after the damaging fake news is already out there is not the same thing at all.