Faith

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What is your opinion of Faith....?

High functioning trust and belief?
Or just unwillingness and/or inability to think on your own?

Does faith necessitate "turning your brain off"?
Is it necessarily "ignorant" to confess or believe that there is a person of God that knows more than you do, and that you can not possibly know as much as he does?

Sooner we call religious faith the mental illness it is and force treatment on those claiming such illness, er, faith, sooner the world will get well. So long as we're cursed with religion, we're going to suffer for it.

Up to this point, the world has had religion. Given the general state of things, I'm all for trying to get rid of it.

Is it necessarily "ignorant" to confess or believe that there is a person of God that knows more than you do, and that you can not possibly know as much as he does?
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, not yet seen. Refer to the book of JOB ( KJV ).

Sooner we call religious faith the mental illness it is and force treatment on those claiming such illness, er, faith, sooner the world will get well. So long as we're cursed with religion, we're going to suffer for it.

Up to this point, the world has had religion. Given the general state of things, I'm all for trying to get rid of it.
I think you are up to something there. Homosexual behavior used to be considered as mental illness, now it is not. Times are changing. These changes are not necessarily the right ones though.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, not yet seen. Refer to the book of JOB ( KJV ).

It's actually in Hebrews:

Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

I love this verse Sonny. It's beautiful and so true!

I think you are up to something there. Homosexual behavior used to be considered as mental illness, now it is not. Times are changing. These changes are not necessarily the right ones though.

Sometimes I don't think times are changing at all.
People in ancient times engaged in homosexuality and many civilizations did not find it shocking or offensive.
People would watch Christian's get killed and eaten by lions... FOR FUN! Like going to see a movie or baseball game! The United States is just on the moral decline and depravity "trail" - like many others before it.

People in ancient times engaged in homosexuality and many civilizations did not find it shocking or offensive.
People would watch Christian's get killed and eaten by lions... FOR FUN! Like going to see a movie or baseball game! The United States is just on the moral decline and depravity "trail" - like many others before it.

Rome didn't fall until Christianity became the state religion and the multi-religion society was banned.

The shortest living one of the greatest societies of known history.

Depends on there religion. Don't let bad apples spoil the whole bunch.
I would not be surprised if this Country declared belief in God a mental illness.
Then maybe you would become more patriotic and actually like the United States.......
Don't be so dismissive of Christianity..... there is a lot of information and facts out there, just choosing what suits you is narrow-minded.....

Rome didn't fall until Christianity became the state religion and the multi-religion society was banned.
I would contest that statement…
Also, the Pantheon did not make Rome a multi-religion society.

that's only one theory.... not substantiated.... also, it doesn't prove anything in regards to the ultimate meaning of life and existence of God.

Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

evidence?

there is no evidence any gods exist.

religion was created at a time when mankind didn't have any answers to what made the world work.

mankind has a brain that seeks answers.

in the past there were no answers so mankind answered those questions with their souls.

the soul is a poet

poetic license was used

Now some believe it is to be taken literally as undeniable FACT.

I need proof not orders from those who CLAIM to be more holey than thou.

religion is for faith

science is for facts.

I go with facts.

Sigh. It's a pity you don't understand the difference.

Religion isn't faith Delta4.

..there is no evidence He doesn't exist
there were no answers so mankind answered those questions with their souls.
Soul is intangible… if you believe there is a soul, you just contradicted yourself about God unless you prove scientifically that there is a soul .. How do you measure soul? Any empirical evidence for the existence of soul?

evidence?

religion was created at a time when mankind didn't have any answers to what made the world work.

in the past there were no answers so mankind answered those questions with their souls.

the soul is a poet

poetic license was used

religion is for faith

science is for facts.

I go with facts.

Faith isn't a religion. On the other had science appears these days to have formed various religions each having their own believers. And very defined sects.

We all exist on faith everyday aside from our views on religion. The vast majority of us go to bed believing we'll wake up the next day, drive to work or go on vacation believing we won't die or be maimed in an accident, that tomorrow society will not collapse and descend into anarchy. We have faith that bad things happen to other people or that if something bad does happen to use we can somehow stop it in it's tracks.
We have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow. Granted we have faith in some of these things because they've been going on for centuries (and much, much longer) but that doesn't change the fact that everything could change tomorrow.

evidence?

the soul is a poet

poetic license was used

religion is for faith

science is for facts.

I go with facts.

Now "facts" based on predictions by computer models is different from say Revelations how?

Considering computer models cannot seem to get my five day forecast right, I have no faith in computer models.

How can I have faith in something that is consistently proven wrong?

Whereas the predictions in Revelations have yet to come to pass but as compared to computer models one can have faith that these predictions could come true.

Faith is interesting is it not?

Last edited:

"Hoped for" in scripture has the connotation of 'expected' not some wild wish. "The evidence of things not seen" is speaking that not only is there a physical aspect to the universe (things seen), there is a spiritual aspect (things unseen).

Faith is investigating and pursuing the spiritual aspects of of our physical lives--using one's brain to investigate not only what we can see--but what we cannot. I may not go so far as to say those without faith better fit the "turning their brains off" scenario, but nor do they seem able to see beyond the physical. If their brains simply can't process matters of faith...is it a mental illness? (I am teasing those who suggested that faith is a mental illness. ;) )

..there is no evidence He doesn't exist
there were no answers so mankind answered those questions with their souls.
Soul is intangible… if you believe there is a soul, you just contradicted yourself about God unless you prove scientifically that there is a soul .. How do you measure soul? Any empirical evidence for the existence of soul?

I skimmed over this article, but, thought it might be interesting since the topic of souls came up:

Does The Soul Exist Evidence Says Yes Psychology Today

People would watch Christian's get killed and eaten by lions... FOR FUN! Like going to see a movie or baseball game!

Try researching that and you will discover that you are being deceived...again.

Forum List

Back