Faith & Skepticism

Kathianne said:
Damn, you have trouble following the thread postings you select.

Forgive me for not following the thread. The website is loading at terribly slow speeds on my end and I didn't feel like dredging through all the pages to look for his question. Now that I've found it I'll give you an answer. He asked who would I believe if they said they saw God. Well I would be skeptical of anyone who made such a claim and I'd probably have a lot of questions for them. It would take a lot of convincing for someone to get me to believe that they saw God.

Powerman said:
Forgive me for not following the thread. The website is loading at terribly slow speeds on my end and I didn't feel like dredging through all the pages to look for his question. Now that I've found it I'll give you an answer. He asked who would I believe if they said they saw God. Well I would be skeptical of anyone who made such a claim and I'd probably have a lot of questions for them. It would take a lot of convincing for someone to get me to believe that they saw God.

What would it take? Putting your hands in the wounds? What?

Powerman said:
When I actually decided to read the bible I concluded that it was a work of fiction and at least 20% of it is immoral trash.

It may be a good time to reflect again on the original point of the thread.

"Unless you believe, you will not understand."

And a corollary from Jesus in Matthew 13:9-17

9. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10. And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11. He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15. For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

I returned from class today to find that a few pages have been added since I last visited the board. What's more, it was a result of my post, haha.

First of all I would like to congratulate Powerman for once again taking a thread and finding a way to blow it completely out of porportion with his many regurgitated "facts". I was joking when I responded to the post regarding a case in which one was blind. But in response to what you said regarding what I said on page one; Who, of all people, are you to say you can not experience God in the senses? After all, there is no God according to you, correct? So, were I grading your response based on your beliefs, I would have to give you an A, because that would make perfect sense. However, in the case that I grade your response on the premisis of which many of us Christians (or even people of other religions) are coming from, I give you an F. It's very bold to tell us what we have and have not experienced, when you yourself cannot even fathom having the amount of faith we do.

So with that said, I'm sorry what I posted became so chaotic, haha. I hope this evening finds you all, (yes even you Powerman), well. Cheers. :)

Mini said:
I returned from class today to find that a few pages have been added since I last visited the board. What's more, it was a result of my post, haha.

First of all I would like to congratulate Powerman for once again taking a thread and finding a way to blow it completely out of porportion with his many regurgitated "facts". I was joking when I responded to the post regarding a case in which one was blind. But in response to what you said regarding what I said on page one; Who, of all people, are you to say you can not experience God in the senses? After all, there is no God according to you, correct? So, were I grading your response based on your beliefs, I would have to give you an A, because that would make perfect sense. However, in the case that I grade your response on the premisis of which many of us Christians (or even people of other religions) are coming from, I give you an F. It's very bold to tell us what we have and have not experienced, when you yourself cannot even fathom having the amount of faith we do.

So with that said, I'm sorry what I posted became so chaotic, haha. I hope this evening finds you all, (yes even you Powerman), well. Cheers. :)

Is this some sort of troll post? At least Powerman has the cajones to argue, without being a dipshit.

No it isn't. In fact that is probably the last connotation I wanted to be associated with what I said. I am very sorry if it is taken that way, and I really had no intention of sounding like a dipshit. I guess I don't really know what to say, when I saw that response it made me feel really bad. Sometimes over the internet it is hard to tell how to take what people say, perhaps this is one of those instances. In any case, I'm sorry, I was by no means trying to poke at anyone, I was just trying to express my thoughts after reading the thread.

Mini said:
It's very bold to tell us what we have and have not experienced, when you yourself cannot even fathom having the amount of faith we do.

No matter what he says he cannot take your personal experience from you, he can only question the validity of your experience as it relates to his own. Instead of hearing what your experience has done for you, it is easier for him to look upon it as if you are either lying or delusional in your belief or to seek another explanation for your experiences than that which you attribute them to.

no1tovote4 said:
No matter what he says he cannot take your personal experience from you, he can only question the validity of your experience as it relates to his own. Instead of hearing what your experience has done for you, it is easier for him to look upon it as if you are either lying or delusional in your belief or to seek another explanation for your experiences than that which you attribute them to.

Would you believe someone if they claimed they talked to God 10 minutes ago? Probably not. But if you are that gullible let me know and I'll have a new religion for you to join in a few days.

Abbey Normal said:
It may be a good time to reflect again on the original point of the thread.

"Unless you believe, you will not understand."

And a corollary from Jesus in Matthew 13:9-17

9. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10. And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11. He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15. For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

Now we're back to square one. We're quoting a book that contradicts itself and has no credibility.

Abbey Normal said:
P-Man, you have just proved His point. ;)

The bible proves my point. It contradicts itself and therefor isn't a credible book. At most it contains only fragments of truth.

Forum List

Back