Faith of A President

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
When the president takes the oath of office this week, he will, as 42 presidents before him have done, place his hand on the bible. This upsets some who want no public acknowledgement that ours in a society of faith, freedom, and family. such dissent leads other Americans to think their faith is under attack by "secularists". President Bush, who particularly animated in discussing his own religious fauth in a wide-ranging interview last week in the Oval office, is not one of them. He is bemused by the furor, such as it is, not angry.

"I dont' see how you can be president- at least form my prespective- without a relationship with the Lord, "he said. " I think people attack me because they fearful that I will then say that you're not equally as patriotic if you're not a religious person. I've never said that."

Mr Bush however, insists that faith based community organizations not be discriminated againstif, for example, they can use government resources to help drug addicts or Aids sufferers as long as they don't proselytize on behalf of their religion. He places his faith-based initiative in the tradition of civic and community groups as identified by Alexis de Tocqueville, the French aristocrat who toured America in the 1830's and saw such associations as "the great strength of America."

If faith itself isn't under attack, the president's faith based initiative is, from liberals and some conservatives. Liberals, who say it collapses the wall between church and state, prefer the paternalism of the New Deal and big government.
Conservatives challenge the idea from a different direction. They don't want government money interfering with religion or influencing those who, as a religious duty, work for the underclass; they think it demeans the ethical spirit. They prefer faith-based voluntary organizations freeof government money, free of the strings that such money always comes with..
more................

www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20050116-095825-6903r.htm

Bonnie said:
When the president takes the oath of office this week, he will, as 42 presidents before him have done, place his hand on the bible. This upsets some who want no public acknowledgement that ours in a society of faith, freedom, and family. such dissent leads other Americans to think their faith is under attack by "secularists". President Bush, who particularly animated in discussing his own religious fauth in a wide-ranging interview last week in the Oval office, is not one of them. He is bemused by the furor, such as it is, not angry.

"I dont' see how you can be president- at least form my prespective- without a relationship with the Lord, "he said. " I think people attack me because they fearful that I will then say that you're not equally as patriotic if you're not a religious person. I've never said that."

Mr Bush however, insists that faith based community organizations not be discriminated againstif, for example, they can use government resources to help drug addicts or Aids sufferers as long as they don't proselytize on behalf of their religion. He places his faith-based initiative in the tradition of civic and community groups as identified by Alexis de Tocqueville, the French aristocrat who toured America in the 1830's and saw such associations as "the great strength of America."

If faith itself isn't under attack, the president's faith based initiative is, from liberals and some conservatives. Liberals, who say it collapses the wall between church and state, prefer the paternalism of the New Deal and big government.
Conservatives challenge the idea from a different direction. They don't want government money interfering with religion or influencing those who, as a religious duty, work for the underclass; they think it demeans the ethical spirit. They prefer faith-based voluntary organizations freeof government money, free of the strings that such money always comes with..
more................

www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20050116-095825-6903r.htm

I think the symbolism of the president taking the oath of office swearing on the bible is powerful for christians etc. I personally have no interest in it. I would prefer a promise to accept reponsibility for his actions and the actions of those he appoints and a committment to open and thoughtful discussions of policy rather than rhetoric that diminishes any opposing viewpoint ie that it is unpatriotic or disruptive to disagree.

sagegirl said:
I think the symbolism of the president taking the oath of office swearing on the bible is powerful for christians etc. I personally have no interest in it. I would prefer a promise to accept reponsibility for his actions and the actions of those he appoints and a committment to open and thoughtful discussions of policy rather than rhetoric that diminishes any opposing viewpoint ie that it is unpatriotic or disruptive to disagree.

You're a sad individual.

I guess you didn't mind when it was LBJ, Carter or Clinton taking the oath with their hand on the Bible as you knew they didn't mean it.....

Get over YOURSELF.

Bonnie said:
When the president takes the oath of office this week, he will, as 42 presidents before him have done, place his hand on the bible.
I'm just talking here but I wonder what they would do if a non Christian president ever gets elected? How set in stone is the inauguration ceremony? Does the person being elected get to choose what happens at the ceremony?

HorhayAtAMD said:
I'm just talking here but I wonder what they would do if a non Christian president ever gets elected? How set in stone is the inauguration ceremony? Does the person being elected get to choose what happens at the ceremony?

There is NO REQUIREMENT for one to take the oath with their hand on a Bible or even to end the Oath with "So help me G-d".

George Washington started the tradition, but it IS NOT a requirement.

:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Article 2 Section 1 Clause 8

swear or affirm. Nothing religion establishing

sagegirl said:

Well you may be able to take comfort in knowing that even if the oath as Bush takes it has no real relevance to you, it certainly does to him as he is so deeply rooted in his faith, and you can be sure that along with that faith comes his iron clad will to uphold his office with all the integrity his faith brings to him as a person. As a Christain myself, ceremony, and symbolism only have the meaning that goes along with the person's faith espousing them.

freeandfun1 said:
You're a sad individual.

I guess you didn't mind when it was LBJ, Carter or Clinton taking the oath with their hand on the Bible as you knew they didn't mean it.....

Get over YOURSELF.
well I did like carter but the other two sorry to disappoint you but Im not a fan of either

Bonnie said:
Well you may be able to take comfort in knowing that even if the oath as Bush takes it has no real relevance to you, it certainly does to him as he is so deeply rooted in his faith, and you can be sure that along with that faith comes his iron clad will to uphold his office with all the integrity his faith brings to him as a person. As a Christain myself, ceremony, and symbolism only have the meaning that goes along with the person's faith espousing them.

Your point is well taken, I wish him well.

Forum List

Back